MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Two Smart Stroh Modules
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Two Smart Stroh Modules
syncretism
I thought I'd take a moment to describe two modules j3rk made for me in LW format that I like a lot.

1. The CV processor/mixer: a familiar implementation, but with a more "modular" approach than the R*S and STS offerings. Where the latter approaches have an in-line DC offset controlled with an attenuverter that scales the mixer's final output, the Stroh module has a separate output for 5v DC that you can mix with one of the processor's three channels and also send out to other modules. It's great to use in tandem with a logic module (such as Stroh's "Boolean Drive" sequencer.

2. The Outputs module is a two channel mixer with manual control over pan and a headphone output. While the R*S/STS stereo mixers are powerful and compact, there are times I wish I could use the VCAs independently of the actual outputs. Stroh comes to the rescue here, with a pair of simple VCAs (no offsets or attenuation). You can use these before the output module's inputs or, if you're feeding percussion from an LPG in "both" mode into an input, you can use the VCA for other duties. It's a pretty small distinction, but is a welcome throwback to a modular work ethic that was the norm before functional density via integration became so popular. As a bonus, the VCA output can be connected with a Pomona shorting bar to the module's audio inputs. It's maybe a little tight fit, and perhaps wasn't designed explicitly that way, but it works so far, and is tidy.
MindMachine
What you describe in note 1 is what the Serge Scaling Processor does. If I am reading correctly.
cygmu
MindMachine wrote:
What you describe in note 1 is what the Serge Scaling Processor does. If I am reading correctly.

I think the difference is that the Stroh design just has a fixed +5V output which you can patch to other places, rather than an adjustable offset. This would make it much easier to achieve 0 offset than on the Scaling Buffer for example.
syncretism
cygmu wrote:
MindMachine wrote:

I think the difference is that the Stroh design just has a fixed +5V output which you can patch to other places, rather than an adjustable offset. This would make it much easier to achieve 0 offset than on the Scaling Buffer for example.

Yeah, I haven't used the scaling buffer, but it looks like there's still a variable positive and negative offset that you can't decouple, though the +5v out is a nice addition.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1