MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Joranalogue RECEIVE 2 - Dual Balanced XLR/Jack Line Inputs
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Joranalogue RECEIVE 2 - Dual Balanced XLR/Jack Line Inputs
joranalogue
A balancing act

While modular synthesisers are most often used as stand-alone instruments, they also present exciting opportunities for processing external signals. Anything from an electric guitar to an effects send on a studio mixing desk can benefit from the unique sonic capabilities of even a modest Eurorack system.

However, patching in an external source usually requires an adapter cable and plenty of clean gain to bring the signal to Eurorack level. If the signal source is balanced, a balanced input is required as well to provide the best possible interference rejection.

Receive 2 (or RX2 for short) provides a convenient all-in-one solution. It offers two universal external inputs, which accept both balanced or single-ended signals via XLR or 6.35 mm jack connectors.

The circuit incorporates low-impedance design practices, radio-frequency (RF) filtering and premium balanced receivers to provide transformer-like interconnect performance in a compact and affordable module. And thanks to the electrostatic discharge (ESD) protection, it’s rugged enough to survive the rigours of performing on the road.

The very clean integrated pre-amps feature variable gain, ranging from unity to +40 dB on each channel. As a result, Receive 2 can handle just about any signal source you may encounter, including electric instruments, piezoelectric pickups and many dynamic microphones.

Adjusting the gains is a breeze thanks to the dual peak-responding LED meters. A mix output is included as well, so external signals can be easily mixed directly in the module.

Available now!

More info: https://joranalogue.com/receive-2
ModularGrid: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/joranalogue-audio-design-receive-2

Pricing: €195 / £170 / $195 (MSRP)
6 HP, 45 mm deep
mekohler
Would this provide enough gain for an SM58 plugged in?
joranalogue
mekohler wrote:

This'll mostly depend on the sound source and proximity. The SM58 is not particularly sensitive as far as dynamic mics go. You should get a usable level out of it though, just not the full 10 Vpp.
nectarios
Looks nice. Waiting for price.

*edit: This is the Receive thread. I was meaning to post to the Transmit one as its that module I am waiting for price.
CaneMan
joranalogue wrote:
mekohler wrote:

This'll mostly depend on the sound source and proximity. The SM58 is not particularly sensitive as far as dynamic mics go. You should get a usable level out of it though, just not the full 10 Vpp.

Not bad. Can't wait till it comes out.
MvK
damn, I've been dreaming about a HQ balanced input and output solution but with the xlr connectors on a different panel for installation at the back of the case. I don't want to have the bulky xlr cables on the front. From the pics it seems, that the PCB for the XLRs is seperated from the rest.

Any chance you could put Transmit & Recieve into one 6 HP panel and the 4 XLR connectors on another 6hp expander module? I would take 2 pairs of that :-)

Maybe you even won't have to do much developement because with those 2 new modules everything is already there. C'mon! You can do it!
joranalogue
MvK wrote:
damn, I've been dreaming about a HQ balanced input and output solution but with the xlr connectors on a different panel for installation at the back of the case. I don't want to have the bulky xlr cables on the front. From the pics it seems, that the PCB for the XLRs is seperated from the rest.

Any chance you could put Transmit & Recieve into one 6 HP panel and the 4 XLR connectors on another 6hp expander module? I would take 2 pairs of that :-)

Maybe you even won't have to do much developement because with those 2 new modules everything is already there. C'mon! You can do it!

The rear PCB contains all the circuitry; the small front one just the 3.5 mm sockets, pots and LEDs. So a custom solution like that would be pretty much a full redesign, I'm afraid. But if you put the modules in the bottom corner(s), the XLRs don't get in the way at all I feel.
mekohler
joranalogue wrote:
mekohler wrote:

What would you recommend for a vocal mic to plug directly?
joranalogue
mekohler wrote:
joranalogue wrote:
mekohler wrote:

What would you recommend for a vocal mic to plug directly?

I did some more testing with a SM57 (basically identical mic), and found that it works very well for vocals at the max gain of +40 dB. While more gain could push up the 'average' level closer to the 10 Vpp nominal, this would leave only about 6 dB of headroom (an inherent property of the Eurorack format), so small signal excitations would quickly cause clipping.
Todai
Great addition! As far as I know there's only the TwinOut and the ADDAC with balanced XLR out...
monads
How's this module coming along??? I like the size/footprint and meters, looks perfect to bring external signals into modular which I was thinking of using with a DI box.
joranalogue
monads wrote:
How's this module coming along??? I like the size/footprint and meters, looks perfect to bring external signals into modular which I was thinking of using with a DI box.

Ready for production as we speak. We've got quite a manufacturing backlog of other modules to get through though, hoping to get the first units to dealers by the end of the month!
monads
Thanks for the update!!! I'm on board when available! thumbs up
TemplarK
Looks great actually nice work!
jmax313
Is there a price yet?
joranalogue
jmax313 wrote:
Is there a price yet?

Here's the suggested retail pricing for Receive 2 (and Transmit 2 as well): €195 / £170 / $195.

Shipping to dealers worldwide late this month/early April. Most dealers will be offering pre-orders; if you can't find the modules on your favourite dealer's website yet, feel free to contact them.

Although this is a very straightforward module, there is a user manual containing some more details. It's now been added to the product page for your reading enjoyment: https://joranalogue.com/receive-2/
kineticturtle
Anxiously awaiting this! It's the perfect input solution for me.
woelfl
Thank you! This is exactly what I've been looking for! hyper
I'll be ordering a couple from SchneidersLaden the moment they arrive spinning
monads
kineticturtle wrote:
Anxiously awaiting this! It's the perfect input solution for me.

Yup..eagerly waiting for dealer stock to arrive!!!
joranalogue
Receive 2 is here—shipments are going out to dealers all week! It's peanut butter jelly time!

If it's not listed on their website yet, feel free to contact your dealer of choice for details on availability.
monads
Thanks for the update!! applause Already pre-ordered mine from Perfect Circuit around a week ago!
JGabriel
same, exactly what i need right now
about to order =]
tnx !
mdoudoroff
joranalogue
mdoudoroff wrote:

Well, you beat me to it! razz

At any rate, click above to watch Divkid's quick look at the Receive 2 and Transmit 2 I/O modules, showing you how they can ease interfacing your Eurorack with the outside world (and some of the birds that inhabit it!)
monads
Mine recently arrived and it's perfect!! Thank you Joranalogue!!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2