poly chain jams?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

poly chain jams?

Post by zerosum » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:44 am

Has anyone hooked up 2 or more evolvers in a "poly chain" and then jammed with someone else? Any recordings?

I think that would be a very enjoyable jam to lock up with another evolver user creating one big mega patch( :eek: just 2 mono desktops would be 8 oscs)
Im sure the mono evolver and poly evolver are an amazing combo :love:

hmmm....

Roycie Roller
Death Row Wiggler

Post by Roycie Roller » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:06 pm

Haven't done it, but i agree that it'd be extreme.
I've considered buying the poly rack to go with my MEK..i think that's 8x5 polyphony (if my maths are correct). I can only imagine how complex things could get. The only downside i see here is that, the more i use the Evolver, the more i tend to use fewer oscillators and/or matrix parts. This is simply because i find it can sound really beautiful with only a few things going on.
But that would not stop me from wanting polyphony.
I'd probably build the patch holding one note down (how i usually do it) anyway, so polyphony over keys would n't be as important as having the 40 (jeezuz!) oscillators under one note! :hmm:

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Post by zerosum » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:16 pm

I've considered buying the poly rack to go with my MEK
That would be an amazing setup..... :love: and with a pair of outputs for each voice(10 outs total, whoa....)
I think I could make something usefull with that setup if I had a month or so :hmm:
The Poly racks have been discontinued :sad: but there may still be some used ones that will pop up here and there.
the more i use the Evolver, the more i tend to use fewer oscillators and/or matrix parts. This is simply because i find it can sound really beautiful with only a few things going on.
I agree, it has a very rich satisfying sound with the very least amount of effort, a saw+bubbly filter+a digital wave modulated by the sequencer is sometimes enough to make a presence.
It is really easy to wander off and get sidetracked with the numerous options available(imagine how fun that would be in poly chain with another pair of hands getting lost with you),
It was a little intimidating at first(the mod options), then I realised that pretty much every sound I extracted(whether I knew what I was doing or not, most times not) was always a joy. Its like I never lose, something useful always comes out, I just turn it on and tune out.

Roycie Roller
Death Row Wiggler

Post by Roycie Roller » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:54 pm

zerosum wrote:
The Poly racks have been discontinued :sad: but there may still be some used ones that will pop up here and there.
True, i'm hoping the place where i bought the MEK sells off their PER's at a 'discontinued' rate...
zerosum wrote:It was a little intimidating at first(the mod options), then I realised that pretty much every sound I extracted(whether I knew what I was doing or not, most times not) was always a joy. Its like I never lose, something useful always comes out, I just turn it on and tune out.
I found exactly the same thing!!! Whenever i use it, it seems as if every tweak leads to a very different, very useable sound! It often makes me smile too, and i often sit on the couch in the dark, with the headphones on, endlessly drifting along with wherever it goes...I've almost over-written every preset on the menu.
I really love the sounds it makes. I've managed to make some of my best work, just with the Evolver, and often just one track (using the modwheel to introduce a change).
Do you know the trick of over-writing the sequencer bank? In the manual it says that you can't over-write it, ie. it is always in sequence mode. However, all you have to do is turn the transpose OFF, and then you have more un-sequenced sounds.
I also like to start out with preset#128 of banks A, B & C and go from there. It doesn't take very long to get into weirdsville.
Lately i've been using the sequencer more- i like to set it to run VERY slow, building each step up to sound like a chord, and then messing with the delay section.

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Post by zerosum » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:42 pm

AlisonProject, you have 3 of them :help: 8)

Return to “General Gear”