MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

0 -Coast + 4MS Pod
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author 0 -Coast + 4MS Pod
ayacombe
I am considering buying a 4MS pod with a couple of modules to complement my 0-Coast.
Looking through a lot of the posts on this topic, I guess Maths is a no brainer - but if I got a 32HP pod I could fit in another module.
Initially I thought a STO which leaves another 4HP (for an LxD?), but the Sport Modulator + Maths sounds fun as well.
Am I missing something, please let me know what you think
Agawell
the best advice is get a (much) bigger case*

if you are stuck on the 4ms pod get the 60hp, maths and some blanks - wiggle and then decide what other modules you'd like - there's no rush - and you'd be able to fit maths, sto, sport modular and and ldx in there - and you still have 16hp for something else in the future

otherwise I'd go bigger

tiptop mantis is probably the best value per hp - but a lot of people don't like it - and it's not so deep all modules will fit - max about 60mm

otherwise the doepfer cases are pretty decent

and don't forget one of the best things about modular synthesis - you don't need to stick to one manufacturer - there are plenty of other really interesting modular synth manufacturers out there

I'd check out modulargrid.net if I were you, if you haven't already

*if you buy a small case there is a very very high chance that you will want more modules than the case will fit - this means you need to buy another case - happens to everyone sooner or later - whether it is another smallish case or a bigger case - inevitably this is what happens no matter what size the case - but generally bigger cases work out cheaper - so buying a bigger case now will save you money in the future

also those pods aren't very deep so you will restrict your choice of modules to ones that fit depth wise as well as width wise!!
Nagasaki45
A bigger case is a good idea, but not absolutely necessary. I started with the 0-coast and wasn't ready to fully commit to eurorack when I added my first modules. So I started with 84hp skiff which I later sold for the same price it costed me and upgraded to a larger case.

Regarding the choice of modules. Yes, maths is a no brainer. Personally, I won't go the extra VCO route for the 0-coast. Instead I would go for a clock divider, a noise source, and a VCA. You have plenty of 4hp options for each of these to get to the total of 32hp.
subdo
It may not be the most intuitive module but if you are really committed to a tiny rack I would suggest a Disting mk4. It covers so much ground in a tiny footprint.
nrrrd
In the same position, I ended up buying a 104hp skiff and building something like a system Cartesian, but without Rene (I use a beat step pro) but with an mmg and and extra sto.

I'm not sure it's worth expanding on the 0-coast as it's such a brilliantly self contained instrument, like a music easel.

Having said that, in 32hp I would add wogglebug, sto, moddemix and optomix. You'll be able to get a lot of timbres and modulation out of that setup.

One limitation of this approach is that you can't patch back into the headphone output, so you'll need some way of monitoring.
Skilling
Also, if you want to keep it small: a second 0-Coast is not a bad idea to compliment the one you have.
Nagasaki45
There are some good suggestions here

JohnLRice
Keep in mind Pod depth, if the module you want to put in it needs over 32mm of depth there is a good chance ii wont fit. eek!
ayacombe
Thank you all for your comments.
I ended up buying a Pico Case that popped up near by, which gives me 42hp. I am considering just to focus on making a small system that can work for itself, instead of just adding function to the 0C. I agree that it is an amazing self contained system.
Any module tips? I have 2 x SQ-1, so I could add a clockdivider to add to that as well.
I could go along the Make Noise route with STO + MATHS + OPTOMIX + maybe a filter.
Maybe some of the Random*Source Serge modules (The NTO sounds very nice - and the DUSG does a lot of things that MATHS does as well)
I am not really into menudiving, so I don't guess that o_c or Disting will be included.
electricanada
ayacombe wrote:
Thank you all for your comments.
I ended up buying a Pico Case that popped up near by, which gives me 42hp. I am considering just to focus on making a small system that can work for itself, instead of just adding function to the 0C. I agree that it is an amazing self contained system.
Any module tips? I have 2 x SQ-1, so I could add a clockdivider to add to that as well.
I could go along the Make Noise route with STO + MATHS + OPTOMIX + maybe a filter.
Maybe some of the Random*Source Serge modules (The NTO sounds very nice - and the DUSG does a lot of things that MATHS does as well)
I am not really into menudiving, so I don't guess that o_c or Disting will be included.

A precision adder will get you a lot more mileage out of those two SQ1s.
jjterbeek
I will try the 0-coast & Behringer Crave in the upcoming months.
Sequencer, Osc, filter etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InkQPk5jU3Y
Xinod
Read the specs properly to avoid disappointment: the pods are 3.4cm deep... I don’t know exact stats but a huge percentage of the modules out there simply won’t fit
reignbear
electricanada wrote:

A precision adder will get you a lot more mileage out of those two SQ1s.

+1 I wound up with an ALM beasts chalkboard to go with my sq-1, so useful.

As for what modules to expand/compliment the 0-coast it really depends on what you’d like to do. You could add another voice, modulation options, sequencing stuff or processing things. I’ve thought about a similar small compliment to the 0-coast/sq-1 setup and I would go for something like phonogene or clouds, lxd/optomix, warps, beasts chalkboard and envelator(or other small function gen).
ayacombe
Thank you all.
This is where I am at right now. I have gone back a bit on my decision on not to include a multifunction module like Disting. I have a KOMA kommander, which could be fund to run through a quantizer - also disting could add other useful functionalities. I guess it is a great thing to have Disting when you choose to start out with only 42hp.
I really like the DUSG mkII (osc function spans 4 octaves), but Maths seem to fit fine here. I guess Rampage would give me an additional 2hp (?)
I am a bit unsure about the WASP filter, but I like the sound of it, and it can add fun i guess - and it would be fun to add a filter.
I've read both pros and cons about the ALM BC, but it seems like a great thing to use with my SQ's - would it be better with an actual Precision adder?
greyscales
Disting probably won't fit in your Pico Case. It's a really deep module, 42mm according to Expert Sleepers' site, while the case is 40mm deep according to Erica's site.

I also don't think you're going to need both the LXD and Wasp in a case that small either. Or if you might want a filter that self oscillates too, just to have an extra sound source.
electricanada
ayacombe wrote:
Thank you all.
This is where I am at right now. I have gone back a bit on my decision on not to include a multifunction module like Disting. I have a KOMA kommander, which could be fund to run through a quantizer - also disting could add other useful functionalities. I guess it is a great thing to have Disting when you choose to start out with only 42hp.
I really like the DUSG mkII (osc function spans 4 octaves), but Maths seem to fit fine here. I guess Rampage would give me an additional 2hp (?)
I am a bit unsure about the WASP filter, but I like the sound of it, and it can add fun i guess - and it would be fun to add a filter.
I've read both pros and cons about the ALM BC, but it seems like a great thing to use with my SQ's - would it be better with an actual Precision adder?

I think Disting has a precision adder feature? You could try it to see if you like it. VPME's T43 is a precision adder in 4hp. The Doepfer A-185-2 is also nice but 6hp.
Foghorn
Highly recommend the VPME T43.
It is much more stable and exact than the Doepfer precision adder.
That said they both work.

Foghorn
ayacombe
Quote:
Disting probably won't fit in your Pico Case. It's a really deep module, 42mm according to Expert Sleepers' site, while the case is 40mm deep according to Erica's site.

It seems that I can fit approx 47mm, so maybe it would be ok.

The VPME T43 seems perfect! and if I go with a Disting and a Dual Function Generator, that leaves me anywhere between 8 to 16 hp depending on my choice (Rampage, Maths, DUSG, Miasma)
boxxgrooved
WARNING:

Rabbit hole up ahead

hihi
ggillon
Calling it: the minute your last module will be installed in the case you will find out about another module you want to add. Especially the way you try to build your case; i.e. not adding modules one by one based on your needs but planning a full system ahead based on what you read from people who might not have the same goal as you, not enjoying the same kind of sounds and music, not liking the same workflow.

Don't even think you are more strong-willed than all the wigglers here. You will find out you don't like or use some modules you listed. You WILL buy more modules. 42hp is definitely too small unless you fill it with pico modules.

Take maths for example. It IS a great module, but when space is an issue like here, it doesn't justify filling half of your case, especially when it's to complement an 0-coast that already share a lot of features with it. Take LxD too. Why a LPG when there is already one in the 0 coast?

IMHO you will have more fun with an effect module first like a pico DSP and a sequencer. Korg SQ1 can be a good choice since it can be used outside of the rack. Then another voice maybe. And a mixer. And a LFO

O-Coast is such a great synth it contains almost everything you need (except effects) so if you really want to complement it aim for a rack that can work on its own and not FOR the 0-coast

IMHO
turin horsey
O-Coast is great for sound generation, Maths will give you all kinds of interesting CV flexibility. a modular effect unit might really open your sound design possibilities, something like Erbe-Verb, or maybe one of the 4ms effects modules. Plenty of possibility! Rockin' Banana!
ayacombe
Thank you for your comments.
I see the Pico Case as my first step into buying my first modules, and I agree that I surely will want a bigger case at some point.
Originally I didn't want any multifunction module like Disting/0_C but I guess it makes sense taking the size/ avaliable options into consideration.
My main idea was to give my 0C some extra functionality while at the same time being able to use the mini modular by itself. Therefore I thought of a Dual Function Generator, because it can be used for many different things - and as far as I've read, especially the DUSG should be more precise as an osc than the other options, but it's very big.
Kodama
As people have said, the pods are incredibly shallow and will not work with most modules d'oh! (But I see you found a different case!)
dekemcculo
here's a quote and video pulled over from lines where ppl are much more into this sort of lunchbox/ limitations/ frugality thing. I do not have a pod and this is not my quote or video but i really enjoyed it and thought it could be helpful for op.

Quote:
Couple of further observations on Pods:

Addictive: I’ve been off work this week and each day when I get up I pull 2–4 modules out of my case, put them in the Pod and bring them to the coffee table with 0-Coast, pedals, etc…
Surprising: I was in my local grabbing a pedal earlier and one of the staff was jamming on a Pod26 with Maths and a headphone out. That’s it.
Low profile: People complain about the shallowness, but this is a massive feature for me. I was looking for a way of complimenting an 0-Coast, not dwarfing it.
Idiosyncratic: The power brick is way larger and heavier than the unit. The “long” barrel cable accessory is actually really short. The 10-pin cable accessory is a must buy. The rails are drilled a bit unusually. I had a little trouble mounting Cold Mac; I had to do the old trick of thumbscrewing one knurlie, squishing the module down to mount the diagonally opposite screw, then doing the other modules like that before doing the final tighten.

Personally, as a 0-coast user, I decided to specifically avoid make noise modules to try to get a different flavor. I first added a sequencer (bastl popcorn in my case, but i think a sequencer that sparks joy for you is more important – also if you have a midi sequencer to pair with your 0-coast that might be preferable). Then I got a combined deal on mannequins stuff so added an oscillator (mangrove) filter (three sisters) utility (cold mac) and modulation (just friends) to my 84hp skiff. I think Emilie Gillet's advice of forming a basic system in 4 parts (sound source, modifier, modulation, control) is a great way of thinking about it and 0-coast has given you all of that in one box. You want more control, add a sequencer or midi keyboard, you want another sound source – oscillator, modifier – effects or filters (the most absent in the 0-coast so i think the most fun to add!), and finally more modulation is always useful! To reiterate, Emilie also recommends to try different makers to get different flavors so if you want to add a bit of these 4 things maybe consider getting them each from a different company that interests you and see how it jives, rather than filling up with more make noise. seriously, i just don't get it but honestly do whatever makes you feel excited i think that's most important, and don't try to fill it up all at once.
ayacombe
Thank you all for the very inspiring and enlightening comments.
I am starting to think if I really need all that function, when the 0-coast already has so much going for it...so I am wondering:
- Maybe it all comes down to either control: Instead of 2xSQ1, a fun and more advanced sequencer like René, Muxlicer etc. or one or two Pressurepoints (can't fit Brains if I have two)
- or just having effects and other fun: Echophon/Erbeverb or uClouds, Morphagene.
...maybe a small case is a good start - instead of jumping directly into the rabbit hole and buying a lot of modules (although I am sure a lot if people here would disagree)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2