MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Drum beats ala múm
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author Drum beats ala múm
Gaetan
Hello,

I love the drum style that múm used in their early days, like in this track from 1998 (drums start at 0:44)

Does anyone know how such beats are produced ? I'm not well versed into sampling in general. I understand that some samplers can splice a drum break into individual beats themselves but I don't know much more.
They write that they used the famous Amen break for this on, but I don't know how it is then chopped up and arranged for that result. It sounds rather random but still cohesive. Is it manually composed ? Automatically generated somehow ?

Also if you have suggestions of artists using the same kind of drums, I'm listening !

Thank you
CF3
Not randomly generated. This is typical “jungle” or drum n bass drum programming. I suggest doing a web search (I’m sure youtube would have many vids) on DnB sampling, chopping and drum technique. Dogs on Acid is also a good resource for all things jungle & DnB.
dubonaire
I can hear the Amen break in this. The snare is a give away.

There is a wide range of software that can help you do this. In Ableton Live there are several ways to go about doing it.
lisa
Gaetan
CF3 wrote:
Not randomly generated. This is typical “jungle” or drum n bass drum programming. I suggest doing a web search (I’m sure youtube would have many vids) on DnB sampling, chopping and drum technique. Dogs on Acid is also a good resource for all things jungle & DnB.

Thanks, that's the kind of stuff I'm looking for, my knowledge of that side of electronic music is pretty sparse.

Basically I'm asking because I often find myself doing the same stuff all over again when jamming on my Drumbrute. I am not so interested in the sampling per se at the moment, more in the patterns themselves and how they are constructed. I think I need to listen to more of that kind of stuff and try to focus on the drums.

I have also found some really good resources here : https://www.attackmagazine.com/technique/beat-dissected/
CF3
If you wanna mess around doing jungle style beats with stuff like the Amen break, do a search for free “rex files”. There’s a couple huge collections floating around out there with every conceivable break in rex format, for easy chopping and rearranging.

Also, this is one of dozens of different techniques to get that jungle break thing going on:

And some of the more famous breaks used:

Experiment and enjoy
CF3
Some more cool Jungle breaks technique vids:

Gogoolpex
You can get most of the breaks here: http://www.junglebreaks.co.uk/breaks.html
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1