MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

My (possibly) amazing win-win concept?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author My (possibly) amazing win-win concept?
julian
I'm considering a bit of a project here.

As most of you know, I make panels. That is what I'm interested in, and what I'm good at. It's also what I make money doing.

Now everyone knows that Roman's PCBs are (for the most part) availible, but, what isn't in such common knowledge is all the other people who have, say, cloned one or two boards, often with bug fixes, and just done small runs for themselves or for friends.

Often, when these are sold, they're at way more competative prices.

But often no-one knows about them!

So....

What I'm considering is making the open offer to all these PCB developers to host the sales of their boards, at a seemingly unheard of, ZERO MARK-UP.

Ie I'll take payment for, pack, and ship their part, without taking any cut at all. I'll forward them on the entire sale price (less PayPal's cut) as a f&f payment (so the fee is only paid once)

In my plan, what I'll gain out of this is the panel sale. Which is what I do anyway.

My idea is that their sales will help my sales and vice versa, without anyone needing to take any cuts or anything from anyone elses work.

And the end user gets the (possibly huge) benefit of then knowing where to actually buy all these more sensibly priced PCBs, with a panel from the same place, single shipping, etc. from a source that has a proven track record of low lead times etc. etc.

I've been knocking about this idea in my head for a while. I've even tested it on a very small scale with a euro pcb developer, and it does seem like everyone wins.

Which is an odd situation, I know!

Can anyone see a flaw in this plan?
Or any other comments?

Thank you,
Julian
Vatican2
Very cool idea! I hope this turns into something!
livefreela
Count me in as a customer Julian! Your work is first-rate.
luketeaford
Sounds great!

The only downside I can see is a potential problem scaling-- could be way more demand with a lower price and better supply. You might see lead times start to increase?

Good luck with it!
corpusjonsey
If you are making money then you shouldn't use F&F. That's a scam and is unethical.
ArguZ
Asking 5% commision is unethical.
It is the same transaction for PayPal, the same work, and the insurance part should not be scaled linear.
We will shift to TransferWise as soon as our WooCommerce is in place, but here are some more alternatives :
https://blog.hubspot.com/sales/paypal-alternatives
julian
corpusjonsey wrote:
If you are making money then you shouldn't use F&F. That's a scam and is unethical.

You may not understand what I was saying -

Customer pays me. PayPal's 4.5% commission is taken.

I forward the payment to PCB developer, as a friend, and no comission is taken.

PayPal gets their take on the sale. But only once - at the point that the profit is made, not at the point where I forward on the entire sale amount to the PCB developer - at this point no profit is made, and no PayPal cut is taken.
julian
luketeaford wrote:
Sounds great!

The only downside I can see is a potential problem scaling-- could be way more demand with a lower price and better supply. You might see lead times start to increase?

Good luck with it!

I can handle panel manufacture. That is my part.
It is unlikely that I will allow back orders on parts that I do not have complete control over.

So, if the developer sends me, say, 10 pcbs, they will be listed. Website auto updates stock. Developer can also see stock levels.
If there comes a point where the stock is all sold, without the developer replenishing, then that is the developers choice, not mine.

They may be busy, ill, dead, whatever. If I don't have PCB stock, it won't be listed. Everyone can see what's what. Noone pays money for vapor ware.

I can keep up the panel end of it fine. As PCB production, once the development is complete, is, pretty much a case of clicking "buy" with a fab house, I would hope that developers would be enthusiastic to maintain stock with me. But, if they are busy/ill/dead then the stock on the website will show "zero" and not allow backorders.

After all, nothing is forever, and it seems (to me) that that is the best way of keeping everyone happy. Sure, a product may disappear (such is life) but there will be no never ending back orders and PayPal claims.
msprigings
I think this sounds great.
neonmercury1
Whoa this could be great! definitely following this!
julian
There has been almost entirely positive response to this so far.

A few additional developers have been in touch too, so its strongly looking like it will go ahead.

Again, the offer is open to all - zero markup sales of your pcbs. (as stated, my own interest is metal work, not pcb development)

I think it would also be nice to get some non-standard builds on board also - get a proper range going on?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1