MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

What next?!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author What next?!
Faastwalker
....... I've not gotten much further since my last post some months ago;

Not sure where to go next! seriously, i just don't get it One of the main things I'd like to do is get CV / Gate to & from my PC so I can integrate my small modular set-up with Propellerhead Reason. I was convinced the Expert Sleepers ES-8 was the way to go. But now I think it's a bit overkill & it's close to $800 here in Aus. Maybe the FH-2? I'm not sure. The Phenol does have a MIDI to CV converter built in. This works very well for sending gate / pitch & modulation from Reason using the External MIDI Instrument device. But it would be good to have some more modulation outputs + inputs so I can send CV in to Reason;

Having the Divider & Adder sections on the Phenol is very useful as well. Maybe I should stick to these & concentrate on more sound generating & sculpting modules before worrying about more i/o between modular & computer. I'm going back & forth between these two ideas & not getting anywhere. Need some advice wink

My Modular Grid Happy Ending configuration changes like the weather! But the current iteration is this with the modules I'm thinking about on the left;

helix
https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/cv-ocd/

This is a great way of adding cv and midi to your setup and saving on rack space/power. I use one and it's great! Occasionally i have to reset it but it's very useful. You can configure each output to do whatever you want it to!
Agawell
800AUD for ES8 is not much more than it is in Europe - 450€ or so - maybe 10% more - and looks to be less than the total of the other modules you have your eye on

it'll give you 8 dc coupled outs and 4 dc coupled ins

so potentially 8 modulation/audio sources and recording 4 tracks (or modulate your modulations) simultaneously

plus it'll open up reason much more - you might find that you want to use 2 channels or gate/cv - instead of the midi interface

and you can also use vcv rack with it which opens up lots of possibilities

I think I'd rather have that than your other possibilities - which to be honest looks like too many vcos for not enough utilities

in your situation I think I'd rather go for a disting mk4 instead - and then buy modules as that dictates

another alternative may be a used RME interface (some are DC Coupled) which may be available on ebay and some adapter cables
Faastwalker
helix wrote:
https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/cv-ocd/

This is a great way of adding cv and midi to your setup and saving on rack space/power. I use one and it's great! Occasionally i have to reset it but it's very useful. You can configure each output to do whatever you want it to!

Thanks for the link. I think I have seen that before but kind of skipped over it as I was set on a eurorack module to do the task. But this looks like a great little box, especially for the money. Could be just what I'm looking for. Added to the list of possibilities for sure hihi
Faastwalker
Agawell wrote:
800AUD for ES8 is not much more than it is in Europe - 450€ or so - maybe 10% more - and looks to be less than the total of the other modules you have your eye on

it'll give you 8 dc coupled outs and 4 dc coupled ins

so potentially 8 modulation/audio sources and recording 4 tracks (or modulate your modulations) simultaneously

plus it'll open up reason much more - you might find that you want to use 2 channels or gate/cv - instead of the midi interface

and you can also use vcv rack with it which opens up lots of possibilities

I think I'd rather have that than your other possibilities - which to be honest looks like too many vcos for not enough utilities

in your situation I think I'd rather go for a disting mk4 instead - and then buy modules as that dictates

another alternative may be a used RME interface (some are DC Coupled) which may be available on ebay and some adapter cables

Thanks for the reply. I must admit it is hard to move away from the ES-8. Looks like such a good option. Should give me an excellent interface between Reason & Eurorack & possibly negate the need for some expensive modules that I've considered for CV/gate & sequencing tasks. Reason has so many options for sequencing, modulation & (virtual) CV processing now. To be able to utilize these to control external modular gear is a very exciting prospect for sure.
Agawell
great - a low pass filter might be a good idea though!!! hihi

I started patching cv in reason too!! it's a great gateway drug to modular (as is Lumen for video synthesis, which I also have)

WARNING - IT'S A SLIPPERY SLOPE:

18 months after buying my first modules (and getting lumen) I have 352hp racked, about 60hp of modules in the cupboard and 24hp of modules to be built

about 1/3 of all those modules are video synthesis

about 20% of the racked modules are diy - since starting diy about 4 months ago

plans for at least another 80hp to build this year (mostly audio) + possibly some of the touted mystic circuits diy video modules - if I like the look of them

there are also a few factory built modules I'd like - but mostly they can wait

I'm hoping to get my expenditure on modular down below 100€ a month within the next year - it's been nearer 500/month so far - some of which has been funded by selling a few guitars
Faastwalker
Agawell wrote:
great - a low pass filter might be a good idea though!!! hihi

The Phenol has an LP & a Band Pass filter. Quite simple but sound nice. Another filter is definitely on the agenda. I like the TipTop Forbidden Planet & the Doepfer Wasp, both of which are very affordable.

...... As for utilities. I keep coming back to the Make Noise Maths. Seems like an essential module for many. Can't argue with that. Looks like a very worthwhile module with loads of features. Another one on the list! woah
Agawell
maths is a great module - especially in a small system - I really like mine

google for the illustrated maths manual pdf file - how to patch something like 35 functions
Faastwalker
Agawell wrote:
maths is a great module - especially in a small system - I really like mine

google for the illustrated maths manual pdf file - how to patch something like 35 functions

I think I should get one. I'll check the manual. Already watched some very interesting videos on YouTube, this one in particular;

Faastwalker
........ Just bought myself a 2nd hand Mutable Tides for $180 Aus. Seemed like a good deal seriously, i just don't get it I keep seeing Tides & it looks very interesting, as do many of the Mutable Instruments modules. It's the previous version to the current one I believe. Picking it up in a couple of days. I've seen some examples of the 'Sheep' firmware that sounded very nice. No idea how to add these ..... yet! Lots to explore.
Agawell
Tides is a great module

problem is you'll probably want another

it's great as an lfo/function generator type thing, but it also shines as a vco

mine is currently playing away in the background - uni output as a kind of horn type thing and the low out to a clock divider to produce a square wave 2 octaves down and then sent through streams acting as a vactrol lpg
Faastwalker
..... added a 2nd hand Telharmonic + 2nd hand Erica Synths Black Hole DSP 1. 20HP left on the Happy Ending kit. I'm thinking another filter & oscillator. The new TipTop Miso looks very useful as well, plus it's very affordable. So little space left, so many modules to check out. This could be leading to a bigger skiff grin

MindMachine
Fun stuff!

Now you need some boring mixers, vca's, attenuators, multiples, etc.

Also likely could use some dedicated envelope and LFO action in a small HP

2HP offers most of those but don't rack too many 2HP modules next to each other if you go that route. Two at a time side by side is about my limit.

Manhattan Analog MIX - 4HP
Inellijel Unity Mixer - 2HP (would need some attenuators too)
2 HP TRIM or AVERT - 2HP
Intellijel, etc. mults/buffered mults - 2HP

Doepfer A-111-3 VC LFO/VCO - 4 HP

Point is you can fit a lot of function in that space. 2HP offer good stuff and Erica Pico have mostly good reviews I think (they are 3HP each).

edit - if you still want another VCF I might skip the Forbidden Planet. It is a very good VCF and affordable (love mine) but may be close enough to the Phenol choices that you won't get too much variety? Doepfer SEM or 18 db might be good choices. Or a WASP.
adaris
The What's greatest album
MindMachine
Clean your bong once in a while, man. Smoke the resins.
adaris
I ate the raisins
Faastwalker
MindMachine wrote:
Fun stuff!

Now you need some boring mixers, vca's, attenuators, multiples, etc.

Also likely could use some dedicated envelope and LFO action in a small HP

2HP offers most of those but don't rack too many 2HP modules next to each other if you go that route. Two at a time side by side is about my limit.

Manhattan Analog MIX - 4HP
Inellijel Unity Mixer - 2HP (would need some attenuators too)
2 HP TRIM or AVERT - 2HP
Intellijel, etc. mults/buffered mults - 2HP

Doepfer A-111-3 VC LFO/VCO - 4 HP

Point is you can fit a lot of function in that space. 2HP offer good stuff and Erica Pico have mostly good reviews I think (they are 3HP each).

edit - if you still want another VCF I might skip the Forbidden Planet. It is a very good VCF and affordable (love mine) but may be close enough to the Phenol choices that you won't get too much variety? Doepfer SEM or 18 db might be good choices. Or a WASP.

The Make Noise Maths keeps coming up. Would complete the 20HP I've left & give a lot of functionality. For modulation, gates etc. I'm looking at the Hexinverter Mutant Brain to get stuff out of Propellerhead Reason & into the modular. Also looking at the Wasp filter. I like what I'm hearing from that & it's another very affordable module with good CV control. Decisions, decisions & I've already run out of space woah

........................................ hihi

http://tiptopaudio.com/mantis/
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1