MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

SWITCHED ON MOOG - ANIMATED VR FILM
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author SWITCHED ON MOOG - ANIMATED VR FILM
jefferson.skinner
Hi folks,
I'd just like to announce we are in preproduction for a 40 minute 360 degree 6K stereoscopic fulldome and VR show celebrating the spirit of the work by W.Carlos and of course Bob Moog. 14 newly produced authentic Moog works - all J.S. Bach. 12 unique 3D animated sequences. To be released in 2020 initially to science centers and planetarium dome cinemas. The experience including a little information on the people, the equipment, concepts of synthesis and more. The project aspires to the fabulous FANTASIA or ALLEGRO NON TROPPO. All work produced on authentic MOOG equipment. Several pieces involving non keyboard instruments and performers of world stature.

The music is being divided up to several folk around the world. Its time consuming and getting the sound within the S-OB period is an art form to itself. Over 2019 there will no doubt be technical and creative issues involving production and I hope to share progress with you, possibly you can assist along the way. This is an indie show. I have a crew of talented animators I worked with worldwide (some from our previous show) ready to roll. Its highly managed outsourcing. In the next week I hope to share an awesome teaser promo on the show and shortly other out first finished VR ready Bach/Moog animated clip.

We are searching for one more Moog guru with access to vintage or new release modular equipment whom might be keen to be involved and or join the brains trust as we reinvent the Carlos sound (with great respect to Wendy) PM us asap thanks.

Hopefully you'll agree this is a worthwhile project, timely and just plain awesome. Ill post some production pics here if you want to see stuff. Please dont redistribute,,, this post is for the passionate people here.

Cheers

Jefferson Skinner
Sydney Australia.

JohnLRice
Good luck with the project. thumbs up Did you post over on the Moog forum as well?
https://forum.moogmusic.com/
gregae
JohnLRice wrote:
Good luck with the project. thumbs up Did you post over on the Moog forum as well?

Indeed he did (identical post):
https://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31232
JohnLRice
gregae wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:

Indeed he did (identical post):
https://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31232
thanks Greg! cool
Thorsday
Awesome!!! hyper
cretaceousear
Might this not fall foul of Wendy's litigious lawyers?
kindredlost
This looks wonderful.

There are a few members here at Muffwiggler's that have the Moog / Carlos era capabilities and own the vintage gear. I am not one of them unfortunately.

Drew Numann (droomusic.com) username drooo comes to mind right away although he hasn't been around for a few years. Not enough people posting music to warrant his attention I suppose.

Another artist would be Dana Coutryman. (danacountryman.com) He is not a MW member as far as I know but is a fervent Moog connoisseur.

Also, member CZ Rider is a very good artist with a nice collection of Moog modules and the skills to make it happen.

robotmakers (pellegriniusa.com) is a very capable musician and has a wealth of useful info and Moog modular gear.

There are many more I'm sure but these are a few that come to mind for me.

Has there been any attempt to communicate with Wendy Carlos about this project? I realize the music will not be her own but the origin of passion sounds as if it is from her early work. She has been fairly easy to communicate with in the past and might be interested in your progress.
kindredlost
cretaceousear wrote:

I doubt it. Her guard dogs at Serendip L.L.P. will not be able to make a dent unless there is a direct copyright rip of some sort. I'd be surprised if the dudes doing this are up to those shenanigans. Carlos' style is easy enough to emulate but almost impossible to duplicate perfectly.
jefferson.skinner
cretaceousear wrote:

Hi guys, thanks for the early support. Already there has been a lot development-, scripts and designs in place. and I'm sure to post some great updates over the next few weeks. The animation is the easy bit, its the music that really deserves the attention. This isnt about throwing some midis up on Arturia V...

Regarding litigious lawyers - everyone has an opinion.. I think Wendys attempts to keep control of her legal rights has been overblown and turned into an ugly monster. IMHO. One thing people forget or are not aware of is that W Carlos was a pioneer in the field of INDIE studio recording. As I understand it , the album came first, then label contracts followed. As such, she has the RIGHT to look after her baby. But I digress..

SWITCHED ON MOOG is a homage to the album S-OB and its influence in the later 1960s. Its a tribute to her efforts, to Bobs genius, to the craft of Synthesis in general and to musicians that followed in their path. I was a young child when sifting through my parents excellent record collection that included jazz, classical and blues classics where I pinpointed and held S-OM up as something special. Noone told me or showed me, I found it, I worshiped it. It was the sound. it wasnt synthetic. Each patch was an electric instrument alive - a living world of sound. With the Moog modular reissues there has been a lot of talk pondering the what ifs of development of synthesis in the popular arena. Synth as a true voice was lost over time to studio cardboard accompaniment and obsessive use of sequencer.* SWITCHED ON MOOG is attempt to bring the baby home. Creative and carefully crafted patches with several works performed on non keyboard instruments - Theremin, Wind synth, Vocoder and more. While playing close to the S-OB origins to begin the show, the style and format quickly evolves, yet remains true. Therefore anyone suggesting there are any legal conflicts would be incorrect. This is an original show , with reference to W Carlos's influence. Wendy is being sent a brief on the show as we speak. Id love to have her name on the billboards, but that is yet to be negotiated. Besides being an awesome 40 minute audio-visual event, its also educational and I for one would love more people to respect what she achieved.

*ok,..an exaggeration
Faustgeist
Super cool!
umma gumma
that is pretty wild!!

are you using Toonboom animation software?

good luck with the project
jefferson.skinner
umma gumma wrote:
that is pretty wild!!

are you using Toonboom* animation software?

good luck with the project

No, its all 3D , 360 degree, stereoscopic (and 5.1 surround which is whole thing in itself)

two years ago I led a team to create a feature length 4K VR show

LINK TO VR SHOW PROMO

so am running a similar crew for this one.
Rex Coil 7
I admire this. This is something that recognizes and acknowledges a massive event in the history of human art. This effort shines a bright light on something of significance within the abstract and odd world of converting electricity to emotion.

In less artsy speak, what you're doing is telling the story of how Wendy Carlos brought the synthesizer into the public realm while also inspiring the hell out of a few hyper-talented musicians. Being a fervent Keith Emerson fan (in the literal sense of the slang "fan" ... which is actually shorthand for "fanatic") when I think of Wendy Carlos it's impossible for me to not think of Keith Emerson. The (now) well known story of when Keith heard Wendy's recordings, he was immediately inspired by what he had heard and made efforts to obtain one of those ~synthesizers~ so that he might use them in his own way to express himself even more deeply.

So when I say "inspired the hell out of a few hyper-talented musicians" it is stories like that of Emerson's which I am referring to. Once that small group of hyper-talent "teamed up" (so to speak), the synthesizer became something that was part of nearly every piece of popular music produced from then forward.

What you are doing celebrates that momentous event. Tastefully, with respect and reverence, and lovingly. And in doing so, you are making your own mark and adding your own name to the list of those that have added to the evidence of human existence.

You've created another piece of the road sign left behind by humanity within the enormous expanse of the known universe.

We were here .... and this is yet more proof.

chuckg
As a former planetarian and current VR dev (my master's degree project) I just can't wait to get this in my hands!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1