MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

How much could you sell without affecting your workflow?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author How much could you sell without affecting your workflow?
mousegarden
Just had a clear out, to see how it would change my music/workflow. To me this is a sign that I had too much stuff, the result maybe, of impulse buying, or just bad gear selection.
I've sold all of my keyboard synths, I'm gravitating more and more to just using my Modular, and Buchla, I have my computer and a small 49 note controller, in case I need more traditional poly type sounds.
I've also sold unused pedals, mixers, and rack effects, it's like a natural distilling down of stuff, where you only have what's absolutely essential to what you do, or what you want to achieve.
Since playing more piano it's actually allowed me to get more deeply into my modular, as the piano fulfills that whole keyboard thing for me, and my electronic studio is a place solely for abstract experimentation.
The only thing I'm concerned about is that I no longer have any "bread and butter" keyboards left for live use, but this could be a cue to use the modular more, in a live setting.
Shledge
I'm already in this process, and reckon I could sell 1/3rd of my gear and still have the same workflow.

I'm mainly going to focus on keeping synths like my D05, blofeld, boog and ms20 mini, but sell the rest. They should still give me more than enough to compliment my modular.
dubonaire
mousegarden wrote:
Just had a clear out...

I've never known you to be satisfied.

Edit: but to answer your question maybe 30%, although I don't always have one kind of workflow.
BenA718
My system is so small, I use 99% of it with a single patch! grin
Pelsea
I see Marie Kondo has a new TV series. Maybe she'll do an episode about modular systems, or just musicians in general.

She's not entirely nuts-- there is a certain gratification in trading seldom used stuff for free space. Many of my friends do a new year's clean up.

My strategy is to charge everything rent. I have a CD player/burner and a Capybara that have not been turned on for a year, so their rent is past due. There's an FM tuner there too, even though the local classical broadcasters have dropped the ball & I listen to WQXR. That's five feet of prime shelf space.

So good luck with your new workflow. Remember to thank your modules for their service as you pack them up for eBay.
Dave Peck
I could probably part with about half of my synths and about a third of my outboard gear without affecting my workflow. But the MU modular and the Nord Modulars stay.
fac
Right now I have many stuff in boxes that I could sell and would not affect my current projects or workflow. Plus a few things that are not in boxes but I'm not really using, either.

Very few things are essential to my workflow. I could do everything with my MU modular, one versatile drum machine (Elektron Machinedrum), a polysynth with keyboard, and a DAW or multitrack recorder. I often think I should actually strip down to just that.
MrNezumi
fac wrote:
I could do everything with my MU modular, one versatile drum machine (Elektron Machinedrum), a polysynth with keyboard, and a DAW or multitrack recorder. I often think I should actually strip down to just that.

I am already doing pretty much this. I have a modest 5u/Eurorack set-up that needs a few more modules to be completed. And I am down to one poly slab (from four). That's it. I will be selling off a pair of analog drum brains (Techstar and Pearl) to fund the needed modules and I will be set.
blaythe.steuer
My system is currently only four modules and a couple semimodulars. I need them all! Ill check back in a year or two when ive bought way too much stuff smile
Just me
I've sold off over 75% of my stuff over the last few years. My workflow has always been run whatchya brung. Now with less stuff, i use what is left to fuller advantage. I just can't have a dozen full voices instantly at my fingertips anymore. Hell, I could sell off everything but my Hammond, VFX, MiniMoog and modular. Keep the Roland recorder. And do everything I could ever need. That would free up two walls in the studio.
mousegarden
Just me wrote:
I've sold off over 75% of my stuff over the last few years. My workflow has always been run whatchya brung. Now with less stuff, i use what is left to fuller advantage. I just can't have a dozen full voices instantly at my fingertips anymore. Hell, I could sell off everything but my Hammond, VFX, MiniMoog and modular. Keep the Roland recorder. And do everything I could ever need. That would free up two walls in the studio.

Ha Ha, I still have my Mini Moog, and a virtual Rhodes, plus my modular, same vibe.
But like you, the reason I had so many keyboards is instant acces, but I'm not using those sounds mauch anymore, after meeting Todd Barton and getting my Buchla I finally took the red pill and I'm loving it....
gonkulator
If I ever get this so-called "workflow," I'll let you know. But if I had to, I could still be plenty entertained if I just had my Solaris, or maybe the G2.
Blairio
I always thought that 'workflow ' was simply how you best use whatever you have - you change what you have and your workflow adapts...

Getting back to the question: I could get rid of everything except my Nord Electro 5, my JU-06, Micromonsta, my Moog GM, and my modular. But I am not entirely sure that Feng Shui has a place in a music studio.

Sometimes more is actually more - as long as you know how to use it all.
dubonaire
Blairio wrote:
I always thought that 'workflow ' was simply how you best use whatever you have - you change what you have and your workflow adapts..

I understood it simply means your production method, from how you start a track to how you finish one. But maybe there is a synth that inspires you, for example, then I guess that synth is important to your workflow.
mousegarden
Yeeeesss, "workflow" I'm not a fan of that word, it's a bit like when "creatives" use the word "exciting" all the time. Exciting has never been a favourite word of mine.
JohnLRice
I think I could sell almost everything and not have my totally random and inconsistent workflow noticeably affected! oops
Pelsea
Workflow is for people who have a job. Retirees call it "puttering around".
Rex Coil 7
* Super Mini Modular (not so ~mini~ these days).
* Two E-MU Proteus family rack synths.
* Nord Micro Modular.
* Windows computer w/Ableton Live 9.7.7
* 1962 Hammond C3 (well, actually a 1962 A102 converted into a C3).
* Three 12ch desk mixers.
* Some FX that include about a half dozen EHX toys, and a few digi FX.

That's the basic breakdown of my "synth rig".

* Novation Bass Station II
* Korg Monologue.
* Arturia Drumbrute Impact.
* Behringer 18ch desk mixer.
* A few FX.

That is my brother's rig. I have so much fun just puttering around on his little 2-synth/1-drum machine rig that I constantly question my choices (and lack of discipline) when it comes to my own rig. Jeff's (my brother) rig is an absolute barrel of monkeys ... it's so simple and productive. It just works. He spends hours just goofing around making some of the most killer sounds. I actually bought a 90 minute stereo phrase looper to capture his "performances" (if you will) with the intention of loading them into Ableton and chopping them up into more usable chunks (editing out his trips to the bathroom and goofups 'n such).

BRING ON THE PAIN AND HUMILIATION:

I've begun to piece the Euro "modulation" cabinet together for my own rig. It's a 16U rack with five rows of 84HP (which comes out to 420HP ... but only 302HP of that is actually powered modules). I broke down and created a Modular Grid account so that I can use the "rack" feature to help me with module placement before I start actually mounting real life hardware. That said, when I noticed the "cost counter" at the bottom of the rack screen I nearly shat m'self! WTAF?!!? .. That thing is worth over $4K? WHAT THE HELL??

And that's just the Euro "modulation" cab! I don't think I want to know what the main 5U cab is worth .... cabs, bus bars, custom FPE panels, nearly FIFTY toggle switches, all new knobs, MilSpec aircraft grade Tefzel insulated wire, four Q106s, two Dot Com VCFs, EIGHT fekking mixer circuit boards all robbed from Dot Com mixer modules, a 3amp PSU, the mondo-kybd ($2k or so just for that kybd rig with the 2 ribbons and joystick).

Plus the E-MUs, the new computer (I have $1633.00 in the entirety of it's parts, that includes the Akai APC40MkII, the Push1, Ableton Live 9 Suite uprate, and the interface ... as well as all of the components that make up a Win computer), FX units ... as well as the dual Leslie emulation that has it's own pile of goods and services.

So all of that shit .... against the pair of 2 octave mini synths and the downsized Drumbrute plus desk mixer my brother has going on. And the level of fun that little setup brings.

Every time I think about this stuff, my bones hurt.

Could I possibly reduce my rig's mass and still have the same fun? Godammit ... don't ask shit like that!

d'oh!
PhineasFreak
painfully aware - everything but compooter...

the rest is just gravy.
mousegarden
PhineasFreak wrote:
painfully aware - everything but compooter...

the rest is just gravy.

I agree, you've summed this up nicely.
Ten years I had nothing but an old PC, a controller Keybaord, and a two channel interface, it was my most productive time, it saw 35 CD's, my band work, and lots of collaborations, I wanted nothing, and didn't yearn for anything else.
Now I have all this hardware, and it's not really done much for me, it looks good, and it's fun to "fiddle with" but it's also cost a hell of a lot of money.
It's too easy to get sucked into this rabbit hole, and sometimes we do have to step back and write threads like this, and question things, we need to get real and be honest, get a true perspective. And if that means drastic action then fine, sometimes less really is more.
But you have to be really careful about what I've said here, it's not always good to consolidate and cut down, it can be unwise to "put all your eggs in one basket" It's like having an integrated mixer/effects/recorder, if one aspect of that goes wrong your in trouble. It's better to have seperate things for different functions. Another aspect of having a lot of gear is that sometimes something really is unique, and you cannot get that sound from anything else.
So this whole slimming down thing is far from easy.
cptnal
Workflow, as it's described here, for me is the patch. Right now I'm using 15 modules out of around 70, so I could sell 55 of them and it'd be unaffected. But tomorrow I could be using a different 15. It's all about options. This is fun!
magneteyez
I’m still in the mentaal process in preparing for downsizing. Never been strong in making choices...
goom
Over the past 3 years, I've downsized my synthesizer (non-modular) arsenal to less than half of what I use to have. I've sold both analog and digital keyboards in the downsizing.

I'm currently trying to re-record a song I recorded many years ago, and I'm really missing the gear that I had. I'm having trouble recreating the same sound as I had before. I see now that I've limited the scope of sounds that really excited me.

With all of the new synths on the market the past 5 years, I'm hoping at some point I'll have the space and cash to buy back newer synths to fill the void.

My modular has stayed the same over the years. I could only ever part with a couple of modules without feeling a loss.
MarcelP
"How much could you sell without affecting your workflow?"

I could sell my soul - but might that affect my workflow?
hlprmnky
Perspective from way on the far side of the continuum: I just over the holidays finished building out a 6U/104HP rack that I think will keep me busy for a year or two (bumped up from a 6U/84HP rack after some consternation and serious thinking about the fact that I was consistently reaching for a couple utilities I didn’t have). In theory, I could sell everything and go back to making music entirely on an iPhone or in Ableton, but the whole reason I got into having hardware was that I wanted to interact with ...the hardware ...to make the sounds. I am definitely in “I think I might just have enough now to do what I want” territory, rather than “what I can lose and still function” territory.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2