MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Synclavier for 2019
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Synclavier for 2019
a100user
http://www.synclavier.com/

To be shown at NAMM
cornutt
Whoa. Good to see that they are providing software updates for various things... I wonder if there's anyone still keeping an ABLE computer running.
anselmi
I can´t see why it could be great other than pure nostalgia... seriously, i just don't get it

FM synthesis? additive? there´s more than enough resources for both, and with much better interface

also "the Synclavier knob is available separately USD $399" eek!
is it...a knob? hmmm.....

man...this looks like an april´s fool joke...
Blairio
Synclaviers had a certain sound and workflow (as did Fairlights), and some serious adherents like Frank Zappa, Trevor Horne, Chick Corea. Aside from FM synthesis and high quality sampling, they offered a tapeless recording environment. I think they are about a lot more than nostalgia, but you would need pretty deep pockets to buy and maintain one, even now. Good luck to those that do.
anselmi
Blairio wrote:
Synclaviers had a certain sound and workflow (as did Fairlights), and some serious adherents like Frank Zappa, Trevor Horne, Chick Corea. Aside from FM synthesis and high quality sampling, they offered a tapeless recording environment.

yep...but at the time you HAVE to use them if you want this sounds...I don´t think the workflow was just a matter of choice, just a necessity...they´re not famous for having the best of ergonomics user interface

and about the sound, well, i think the hardware is a big part of it...maybe they mimic it? I don´t know...if not then I prefer to load the library into a software sampler of my like instead of use this
Blairio
Different instruments (and other things) from different periods are of their time, and require us to adapt to them. The rewards can be great - but it may require a mindset shift to get the the best out of them.

I have a couple of motorbikes, the older one being 65 years old, I cannot just climb on it and expect to ride it like a modern bike. For a start, the gear shift and brake pedal are the wrong way round, and the gear shift pattern is upside down. The front brake isn't too clever either, however, it is a joy to ride and does what it was designed for - even if the user experience is bit 'other'.

I think of vintage synths, keyboards & computers in the same way.
anselmi
Blairio wrote:
Different instruments (and other things) from different periods are of their time, and require us to adapt to them. The rewards can be great - but it may require a mindset shift to get the the best out of them.

I have a couple of motorbikes, the older one being 65 years old, I cannot just climb on it and expect to ride it like a modern bike. For a start, the gear shift and brake pedal are the wrong way round, and the gear shift pattern is upside down. The front brake isn't too clever either, however, it is a joy to ride and does what it was designed for - even if the user experience is bit 'other'.

I think of vintage synths, keyboards & computers in the same way.

I know what you say and agree...but man, some stuff just not worth the time to learn...think about the TX16W original OS...or the Casio VZ series...just too much complicated for the results

Additive synthesis needs a much better interface that I think only an iPad can deliver, but using all the iPad strengths, not just emulating a tired interface from 40 years ago

Synclavier could avoid the nostalgic factor and just bring all this stuff to 2019, with a proper iPad interface that allows you to conjure sounds in a novel way
Sir Ruff
Is this going to be software or hardware? I assume the former?

There are people out there still using original fairlights and I respect their dedication. But I also agree that adhering to a super clunky 40 yo interface is not the way to garner sales on a new product in 2019. OTOH it WOULD be cool to see a dedicated piece of hardware that captures the hardware synthesis vibe while being up to date with current recording and sequencer technology.
felixer
well, they seem to be developing some ipad/iphone applications. i think the lure is in the original sounds. some were made with a lot of dedication. so it's more of a preset box nowadays ... like the original fairlight sounds ... remember when almost everybody was blown away with samples? that's where this comes from ...
monroe
A $400 knob????!!!! Pure insanity. Aren’t there laws against this kind of BS?
tim gueguen
400 bucks is nothing. You can probably find knobs for 3 or 4 times the price over in audiophile land, with claims merely changing the knob will improve the sound. A certain sort of audiophile will fall for the most ridiculous nonsense, like Brilliant Pebbles.
thetwlo
the Synclavier was "great" at the time, but much of the stuff Zappa and other's recorded with it are cursed with "that" sound. Perhaps they weren't programming it, but this is one synth that hasn't held up well over time.
calaveras
I've got the Arturia versions of this and the Fairlight.
They are more fun to use than Logic's native sampler apps, and not as overwhelming as most contemporary sample based apps.
I have to admit I've not delved into the FM and additive synthesis as much as I thought I would. But thats on me.

Not sure about that knob, but I may be looking into the IOS apps.
felixer
thetwlo wrote:
the Synclavier was "great" at the time, but much of the stuff Zappa and other's recorded with it are cursed with "that" sound. Perhaps they weren't programming it, but this is one synth that hasn't held up well over time.

esp zappa made a lot of samples himself. or had some poor dude do it for him. the attraction to him was the impeccable timing. better then midi, which isn't saying a lot ... and besides, it was only one of a handfull of machines that did the trick of a complete workstation.
felixer
tim gueguen wrote:
400 bucks is nothing. You can probably find knobs for 3 or 4 times the price over in audiophile land, with claims merely changing the knob will improve the sound. A certain sort of audiophile will fall for the most ridiculous nonsense, like Brilliant Pebbles.

well, you know, i once changed a simple volume control on a hifi amp for a switched design. and the improvement was remarkable. i never would have believed that, but i most definatly was. so much for 'hype' ...
tim gueguen
But in this case I'm talking about just the knob, not the actual electronic component.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1