MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Manikin Schrittmacher or Squarp Pyramid
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Manikin Schrittmacher or Squarp Pyramid
Man-In-A-Suitcase
Okay! i'm in the mood for buying a new Sequencer, and it's either a Manikin Schrittmacher or the Squarp Pyramid Mk2.

No doubt some will say why don't you get a Cirklon, yes i have the money for such, but the two year wait is too long for anyone.

There are a lot of pros and cons with both aforementioned units.
Nelson Baboon
Man-In-A-Suitcase wrote:
Okay! i'm in the mood for buying a new Sequencer, and it's either a Manikin Schrittmacher or the Squarp Pyramid Mk2.

No doubt some will say why don't you get a Cirklon, yes i have the money for such, but the two year wait is too long for anyone.

There are a lot of pros and cons with both aforementioned units.

in order for this thread to be substantive, i think you need to actually provide some information about what you are looking for.

have you read both manuals? have you looked at, for instance, the pyramid recording options, or midi effects, etc, etc? Have you looked at the schrittmacher's modulation capabilities? Do you need to construct songs out of multiple sequences, etc? Do you need cv/gate?

Even throwing in the cirklon here - have you looked at its aux events, which go beyond the modulation capabilties of the others, but perhaps fall down in some ways in the UI involved in them?

I mean, for some people, a simple sequencer at a lower cost might be preferable. If you're not using advanced features, why even bother with these?

Why not the Engine, or some of the others which some people prefer?

you have to do a little work yourself - both in the research and the expression of what you want. That is, unless you just want a bunch of people ranting about their favorite sequencers.
Man-In-A-Suitcase
Nelson Baboon wrote:
in order for this thread to be substantive, i think you need to actually provide some information about what you are looking for.

yes, true!

Nelson Baboon wrote:
have you read both manuals? have you looked at, for instance, the pyramid recording options, or midi effects, etc, etc? Have you looked at the schrittmacher's modulation capabilities? Do you need to construct songs out of multiple sequences, etc? Do you need cv/gate?

i have read both manuals, the schrittmacher manual seems to be a bad translation from german to english, the way things are explained don't go into a lot of detail. the pyramid manual is okay, but they seem to confuse tracks (patterns) and sequences (which could also be patterns, but are more like mutes etc)

the Schrittmacher's modulation capabilities are good. don't require CV/Gate, but i need to be able to change patterns one after the other. the Schrittmacher is more of an improvisational sequencer. they don't make it very clear on the preload preset function (does this function switch from one preset to another while it's playing, ie: like switching from one pattern to the next). All sequences run in parallel, you can't run sequences in serial which is a big let down!

The only thing it does do what i want is step skipping and muting, but no ability to go beyond 16 steps. Yes i could go the elektron route, but a bit of a waste if you are only going for the sequencing side of things.

Nelson Baboon wrote:
Even throwing in the cirklon here - have you looked at its aux events, which go beyond the modulation capabilties of the others, but perhaps fall down in some ways in the UI involved in them?

Cirklon is very expensive (price has risen, as has wait time).

Nelson Baboon wrote:
I mean, for some people, a simple sequencer at a lower cost might be preferable. If you're not using advanced features, why even bother with these?

other cheaper simple sequencers do not do step skipping, even elektron's probability sequencing is not that, squarp pyramid doesn't do that either, even though some have asked for it to be implemented.

Nelson Baboon wrote:

engine is no longer made, nor available.

Nelson Baboon wrote:
That is, unless you just want a bunch of people ranting about their favorite sequencers.

people rant on about synths, drum machines, i see no difference!
Nelson Baboon
as i recall, the schrittmacher has not ability to save a playlist of multiple sequences played separately. You can only queue them up 'live'.

had not heard that the engine has been discontinued. You've verified that?

you're right that there there is no real harm in people just ranting in a gear forum. I was hoping to help direct your question so that you actually got substantive answers.

perhaps it is too much directed towards analog, but there is midi, and I'm finding it a very good sequencer. I do not know it thoroughly yet, and it requires a eurorack case - but have you looked into the five12 vector?

Man-In-A-Suitcase wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:

yes, true!

Nelson Baboon wrote:

i have read both manuals, the schrittmacher manual seems to be a bad translation from german to english, the way things are explained don't go into a lot of detail. the pyramid manual is okay, but they seem to confuse tracks (patterns) and sequences (which could also be patterns, but are more like mutes etc)

the Schrittmacher's modulation capabilities are good. don't require CV/Gate, but i need to be able to change patterns one after the other. the Schrittmacher is more of an improvisational sequencer. they don't make it very clear on the preload preset function (does this function switch from one preset to another while it's playing, ie: like switching from one pattern to the next). All sequences run in parallel, you can't run sequences in serial which is a big let down!

The only thing it does do what i want is step skipping and muting, but no ability to go beyond 16 steps. Yes i could go the elektron route, but a bit of a waste if you are only going for the sequencing side of things.

Nelson Baboon wrote:

Cirklon is very expensive (price has risen, as has wait time).

Nelson Baboon wrote:

other cheaper simple sequencers do not do step skipping, even elektron's probability sequencing is not that, squarp pyramid doesn't do that either, even though some have asked for it to be implemented.

Nelson Baboon wrote:

engine is no longer made, nor available.

Nelson Baboon wrote:
That is, unless you just want a bunch of people ranting about their favorite sequencers.

people rant on about synths, drum machines, i see no difference!
johnnywoods
Well, I've never used the Pyramid, but the Schrittmacher is one of my favorite sequencers. I eventually sold it because I just don't have enough MIDI gear, but if you're looking for an improvised performance sequencer, I think it's hard to beat.

Something like the Engine is way superior for "composing" in terms of programming a number of patterns, arranging them into songs, etc. But once you get over the learning curve on the Schritt (which is far easier than the manual makes it seem), it is a really flexible and intuitive performance tool. The UI allows for super quick access to any parameter in a very small footprint. It can do typical Berlin-school stuff, or get as weird and wild as you want.

And you can definitely run sequences in series. You can't program them into a "song" (iirc), but you can switch them on the fly for sure.
Notron fn
Speaking of five12...

If you have a mac, five12's numerology and a launchpad is pretty wonderful.

you can mute, skip steps and ratchet away to your hearts content.
Man-In-A-Suitcase
johnnywoods wrote:
but the Schrittmacher is one of my favorite sequencers. I eventually sold it because I just don't have enough MIDI gear, but if you're looking for an improvised performance sequencer, I think it's hard to beat.

it's quite expensive though, just a few hundred bucks cheaper than a cirklon.

johnnywoods wrote:
And you can definitely run sequences in series. You can't program them into a "song" (iirc), but you can switch them on the fly for sure.

please elaborate on this part of switching on the fly, and how you can run them in series ?
johnnywoods
Man-In-A-Suitcase wrote:

please elaborate on this part of switching on the fly, and how you can run them in series ?

Well, you have a number of memory locations for sequences, and you can switch between them as the sequence is playing.
Nelson Baboon
Man-In-A-Suitcase wrote:
johnnywoods wrote:
but the Schrittmacher is one of my favorite sequencers. I eventually sold it because I just don't have enough MIDI gear, but if you're looking for an improvised performance sequencer, I think it's hard to beat.

it's quite expensive though, just a few hundred bucks cheaper than a cirklon.

johnnywoods wrote:

it's in the global section or something like that. you can program the next one in the series. I think you can only put in one at a time...don't have one in front of me, and I never used that feature. having a sequence evolve over time was sufficient for me.
RickKleffel
Both the Schrittmacher and the Engine are available used. The Engine Facebook group has two now, I believe. Shop a bit for a used Engine, some folks are already trying to cash in. You can find like-new Engines for about the price they use to sell for new.

The above precis of their strengths is correct. SM is more of a pure performance piece for MIDI gear. You can create songs live, but it's strength is in-seq mucking about.

Engine is unparalleled for transforming improv sequencing into songs live. After the fact, there's a fair amount you can do as well, but not so easily at the micro-level as with SM or Cirklon. [I'm on the order list for this.] Engine has a bit of TB DNA in its design, so if you've grokked that, the learning curve will be shorter.

Engine is for my purposes a perfect piece for whipping out new wave synth rock and techno instrumentals. SM, designed in part by Klaus Schulze, is better for his sort of improv space music. Either one will do the other sort of music if you are inclined, of course. It depends on how you feel about sequencing, composition and recording as to which best serves your needs.

Man-In-A-Suitcase
johnnywoods wrote:
Well, you have a number of memory locations for sequences, and you can switch between them as the sequence is playing.

isn't this just preload preset ?

RickKleffel wrote:
Both the Schrittmacher and the Engine are available used. The Engine Facebook group has two now, I believe. Shop a bit for a used Engine, some folks are already trying to cash in. You can find like-new Engines for about the price they use to sell for new.

i don't do facebook, and i don't want an Engine.
Notron fn
I've seen schrittmachers for sale on reverb around $800 and $900.

A guy who was selling a GRP R24 for $1350 has a couple he's letting go.
Man-In-A-Suitcase
Notron fn wrote:
I've seen schrittmachers for sale on reverb around $800 and $900.

A guy who was selling a GRP R24 for $1350 has a couple he's letting go.

thanks, but the $ isn't my local currency.
roger
totally just throwing it in, but the midibox seqV4 has a new + version available. https://www.midiphy.com/en/news/
Man-In-A-Suitcase
midibox seq V4 is nice, but you gotta build it yourself or have someone out there build it for you, probably expensive in the long run.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1