MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

The 2019 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author The 2019 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread
sduck
Woops, forgot to create this thread on the first, as i usually do. I was on the road and all that, blah blah blah.

And while there may be people who actually finished stuff earlier in the year than I did, here's what I finished last night...

Just another rookie

Probably not as funky as the feedback module but......
I didn’t build that! I built a wave runner LFO.
autodafe
I built 2 CVPal modules in less than one hour, and I can now see 3 different USB-MIDI interfaces on my Mac:

see tutorial at:
https://www.autodafe.net/blog/17-multiple-cv-pal-modules-on-the-same-c omputer.html
cartertools
2 Barton VCA Mixers for the new case, just as easy to make two as one.

ashleym
cartertools wrote:

A couple (twins?) of beauties!! I am biased because I do love the simplified labelling you use. It gives a clean look and the knobs give all the ornament you need. thumbs up
werock
Did most of this in December but the panel arrived in the new year, so was able to finish it in 2019.

It's a CR-78 Snare in Frac, based on the Oshpark pcb mangros shared in this thread (I still have a couple of spare pcbs if anyone is interested).

Here it is (next to its DR-55 clone cousin).

It is the first panel I have got from Schaeffer using the printing option - very happy with it.
cartertools
Thanks! I was trying to keep it clean and obvious as to the functions.

I kind of hate those knobs which are cheap ones that came with the knurled shaft pots I bought on Amazon. I've been making my own knobs for most of the modules I build but it certainly makes things easier to use these and I'm not going to pass up "free" knobs.

ashleym wrote:

A couple (twins?) of beauties!! I am biased because I do love the simplified labelling you use. It gives a clean look and the knobs give all the ornament you need. thumbs up
woodster
It's Alive !

This thing is both a Beauty and the Beast
JanneI
2019 first build for me: GILBERT

Time lapse video with 100% GILBERT on soundtrack:
https://youtu.be/nh_U3Q7Ji40

djthopa
Cant have enough switches!

[/img]
djthopa
Arduino ADSR with a few challenges with the built.

I forgot to drill the loop envelope mode switch, so now its ADS!

Also added a led to give visual feedback of the envelope out.

CLee
Finally replaced the last of my home etched boards. I had 2 3340 VCOs that were some of my first DIY builds from the early 80s, built into a SMMS panel I purchased with extra space. They're totally unstable now, so I replaced them with some PCBs from member sksynh, https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=207746&highlight=

The old one oops ...

FetidEye
LZX video module: Quad Processor:
MapacheRaper
cartertools wrote:

Im finishing one of these just tonite!

I love the "arms" that are gripping it. Super useful to solder. What´s the name of this things?
cartertools
Panavises, these are Panavise Jr, well worth it. I keep an eye out for them at yard sales, etc and have picked up a lot of their vises over the years.

MapacheRaper wrote:

Im finishing one of these just tonite!

I love the "arms" that are gripping it. Super useful to solder. What´s the name of this things?
cackland
sduck wrote:
Woops, forgot to create this thread on the first, as i usually do. I was on the road and all that, blah blah blah.

And while there may be people who actually finished stuff earlier in the year than I did, here's what I finished last night...

This thing looks awesome!!
djthopa
Euro-fied some testers Miley Cyrus

cartertools
Passive mult, section 1: 4x 1/8" TS, BNC, RCA section 2: BNC, 2x 1/8" TS, RCA, banana binding posts.
[/img]
OB1
DIY performance case with 47/53 DIY modules.

Repeater

Matrix switch
Cedrik Ha
Second RE-303 with my own optimisation regarding the flimsy pots smile

Jarno
Repeater wrote:

Matrix switch

Somewhere, an ARP2500 softly weeps grin
solitud

I have build a MIDI Clock synchronizer/programmer for my CR-78.
The CR-78 starts AND stops reliable on MIDI realtime messages start/continue/stop.
The black button let's you trigger the sound which is currently selected in the Programmer section of the CR-78. It is quantized to 16th notes so you can actually program the CR-78 sequencer in realtime and don't need that Roland WS-1 programmer.
The selected sound can also be triggered via MIDI on channel 10.
Eric the Red
OB1 wrote:
DIY performance case with 47/53 DIY modules.

I love your unified look
soup
Jürgen Haible Triple Chorus...
mangros
Cedrik Ha wrote:

After getting my RE-303 together I did wonder whether the ergonomically awful (but amazing looking) knobs and wobbly shafts contributed to classic acid tracks. I can't work out how anyone can keep hold of them for a full rotation.

Nice idea though - how have you mounted the boards?
Might have to try something like that if I build a second RE-303.
Yander
My first 2 modules!
lasesentaysiete
Assembly started in 2018 but my first cabinet was completed today:

keninverse
lasesentaysiete wrote:
Assembly started in 2018 but my first cabinet was completed today:

OG red panels. Did you dose them?
SlightlyNasty
That's a gorgeous build!
cartertools
Barton blended bandpass. Quick and easy. Wish it had CV ins though.

lasesentaysiete
keninverse wrote:

OG red panels. Did you dose them?

lol of course

SlightlyNasty wrote:

That's a gorgeous build!

we're not worthy

Now its time to add a 1x5 cabinet on top.
audioCTRL
getting back into euro I faced an urgent need for more vcas.

Luckily I had a Barton vca/mix pcb lying around.

Years of DIY and still I manage to reverse pots d'oh!
cartertools
What's the LED do, just a power light or does it reflect the mix signal?
Love the VCA/Mix, I've built 5 so far.
audioCTRL wrote:
audioCTRL
yes, the led reflects the mix out. Maybe not that useful but I just love leds!

The Barton vca/mix is great! Quick to build and easy to setup. I've also placed one on the back of a buchla 194 to have a vca on each band.

cartertools
Great idea! I'll have to consider that on other "giant board, few controls" type projects.
audioCTRL wrote:
The Barton vca/mix is great! Quick to build and easy to setup. I've also placed one on the back of a buchla 194 to have a vca on each band.
Jarno
audioCTRL wrote:

That's a really good idea, I did a layout for the 194, but found it to not add enough functionality, it makes total sense with the VCA's. AndrewF did a version with distortion per frequencyband, that seems interesting as well.
audioCTRL
thanks! I'll have to look into that AndrewF version - I'm a big fan of nlc This is fun!

Just to prove my love for leds I build this standalone Turing Machine today love It's heavily inspired by my daughters Lego Friends..
Monkizzle
audioCTRL wrote:
thanks! I'll have to look into that AndrewF version - I'm a big fan of nlc This is fun!

Just to prove my love for leds I build this standalone Turing Machine today love It's heavily inspired by my daughters Lego Friends..

Great build, nice design, and pink finish is the real touch of class! nanners
das_Produkt
I just finished the Thomas Henry Quad Bass++ and the Battery Acid, after having them both laying around for more than half a year without a panel.

One very neat behind the panel, the other... not so much.

But together, they sound fantastic!

And yes, I need a better camera.

soup
Moogah SEM filter...

Hexinverter Postman EG...

Stroh Stereo Out...

It's a banana frac party It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners Rockin' Banana!
audioCTRL
Nice SOUP! Great panel layout! SlayerBadger!
Who manufactured the front panels? Schaeffer AG?
dot matrix madness
MFOS Echo Fxx (without the microphone preamp part).
Further differences: +5V and -5V are generated using µA78L05 and µA79L05 instead, respectively.
68nF caps used at OP1 and OP2 of the PT2399 instead of 82nF caps (which are less common).

soup
audioCTRL wrote:
Nice SOUP! Great panel layout! SlayerBadger!
Who manufactured the front panels? Schaeffer AG?

Thanks. The panels are laser cut acrylic from ponoko. I've never had a metal panel made. I'd like to try sometime but am trying to keep things cheap these days.
squarewavesurfer
Sin Phi Miasma function generator.

It was nice getting back to soldering after a break from DIY.

sduck
Finished up this one...

and yes, that is an annoyingly bright led. The kit I got was short one led, so I grabbed a green one I had and used it. And am too lazy to change it.
jonny_w

IT'S ALIIIVE!!!! I'm one switch short of getting the touch controller working (and haven't calibrated the 208 yet), but everything seems to be working as it should!! SlayerBadger!
OB1
This thing is AWESOME!

http://modular.ob1techno.com/2019/01/30/westlicht-performer/

cool
iopop
das_Produkt wrote:
I just finished the Thomas Henry Quad Bass++ and the Battery Acid, after having them both laying around for more than half a year without a panel.

Did you get the Bass++ pcb from oberkorn? If so, really nice to see it finished, I soldered that pcb in 2010 or so. Oh, and really nice panel, 4U?
das_Produkt
iopop wrote:

Did you get the Bass++ pcb from oberkorn? If so, really nice to see it finished, I soldered that pcb in 2010 or so.

I just went and looked at my messages to find out from whom I got this board. And you are right, I bought it a year ago from oberkorn. I totally forgot he even mentioned that he didn't solder it himself.

So, yeah, after going through a lot of hands and nine years later, its finally finished...

iopop wrote:
Oh, and really nice panel, 4U?

Thank you.
It's a kind of metrified 4U, 1 pseudo-inch equaling 25mm.
OIP
some amazing builds here as usual! that per former project looks incredible, had never seen it before.. definitely interested.
OB1
OIP wrote:
some amazing builds here as usual! that per former project looks incredible, had never seen it before.. definitely interested.

It's amazing. Fully recommend it.
Jarno
Finally, after 3 years, I finished the SVVCF discrete VCF, not shure why it took so long grin too many projects, I guess

Calibration is not quite there yet, on the first offset measurement point I have something like 3V rather than 100mV or so. Need to tweak a bit, it sounds nice though!
I sploshed a bit on the components used, OPA2132 for the two dual opamps in the audio path. Nichicon Muse for the electrolytics in the audio path.
Finding the correct potmeters was very hard, ultimately, I mounted most of them using bits of 1mm copper wire. I found the 16mm vertical PC mount pots in 25k LOG, but those I had to modify to get them to fit.
diophantine

Never posted in these threads before, but what the hell...

I started this build around seven years ago. Had so many lifted pads on the Sequencer and Boolean/Divider PCBs. I gave up debugging it when I moved almost 6 years ago. Uncovered it in the garage on Sunday... fixed the last lifted pad on the sequencer... fixed the lifted pads on the divider (you don't want to see how many lifted pads I had to repair... trust me! The logic ones I repaired 7 years ago)... and solved the issue with the loop section on the Gated Comparator (apparently there was some extra metal in a standoff and screwing it in had extruded a thin shaving of metal which joined +VE with Loop Enable).

Between then & now I've built well over a hundred things, so it is a nice feeling to finally get this finished. Just need to put it in a boat and finally wire up my BOG and MARSH panels (I've been too afraid until now!).
soup
I'm not letting the 4u folks have all the fun...

Stroh Operator!
ashleym
diophantine wrote:

Between then & now I've built well over a hundred things, so it is a nice feeling to finally get this finished. Just need to put it in a boat and finally wire up my BOG and MARSH panels (I've been too afraid until now!).

I bet you are looking forward to the big money dump on all the control knobs!
corpusjonsey

Sidrazzi Ozborne. walnut top, bamboo bottom, navy hemp twine around the sides. Knobs from Endangered Audio Research. Bare metal bananas that I tried to lay out like the nodes on the back of the original. I resurrected one of the (first run I believe) Sidrazzi Org PCB's with the fabled "12" package code BJTs that were wrongly substituted. Many thanks to Peter B and Pugix for your online resources that helped me troubleshoot this!
hwsthl
Just finished up the build for a power supply upgrade. It's the 2.5A Erica Synths DIY 12V PSU, all said about $100 which I think is a pretty good deal.
I made a video documenting the process, and you guys might get some enjoyment out of my dumb mistakes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKfwQGPjHmw
[img]https://ibb.co/pjyKxxL[/img]
 [img]https://ibb.co/6sFJ86J[/img] grin
hwsthl
Don't know what happened to those pictures, let's try that again:
mome rath
audioCTRL wrote:

I had the same problem on that module oops
diophantine
ashleym wrote:
I bet you are looking forward to the big money dump on all the control knobs!

Haha, seriously! I still have a bag of about 25 1900h knobs, but obviously need to do a serious restock!
steviet
OIP wrote:

I'm super interested as well... does anyone have spare PCBs/Panels laying around? Or can we get a small group to get a run going? I'd really like to get one of these together!
uuav
steviet wrote:
I'm super interested as well... does anyone have spare PCBs/Panels laying around? Or can we get a small group to get a run going? I'd really like to get one of these together!

Pumped for this too,
Heard Pusherman is about to do a run of pcbs/faceplates, but they have to wait until the end of Chinese new year holidays.
steviet
Loves me my Pusherman. Thanks for the tip, i'll keep my eyes peeled!
tobiasbp
Hello everyone.

I'm playing around with front panels made from circuit boards. What do you think?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UgU9i5NkfxvzCWn89
https://photos.app.goo.gl/y9y4xTRbeNfT2iBN7
https://photos.app.goo.gl/181YewqKs1etpZEX6

Tobias
forestcaver
Love this sequencer ! It’s o, so good.... I’d been looking for the right sequencer for ages and I think this is it.... I think it’s going to be really popular!

pld
forestcaver wrote:
Love this sequencer ! It’s o, so good.... I’d been looking for the right sequencer for ages and I think this is it.... I think it’s going to be really popular!

Yeah, that looks great. I self-imposed a ban on buying a sequencer in an attempt to force myself to implement one, but that's pretty tempting.
forestcaver
pld wrote:
forestcaver wrote:

Yeah, that looks great. I self-imposed a ban on buying a sequencer in an attempt to force myself to implement one, but that's pretty tempting.

It’s really well thought out! But I want to see that guitar first! :-)
audioCTRL
audioCTRL wrote:

DONE! feedback patching really makes it sing w00t

sduck
Oh - I built this. I don't know if it really belongs here, but it's modular related DIY, so...

close up of the power part...

and I added some silly rgb led bling...

and with modules (still have a bunch more to insert) -

luchog
sduck wrote:
Oh - I built this. I don't know if it really belongs here, but it's modular related DIY, so...

and with modules (still have a bunch more to insert) -

I see what appears to be an EVOR04 in the upper-right corner there. Where did you get the panel done? I just picked one up and need to do a panel for it.
sduck
It's from front panel express. It was really quickly done, so the mounting standoffs on the back don't really line up exactly, And it's got four inputs because there are four spots for inputs on the pcb, although I didn't know the device well enough to know that it can only use 2 at a time anyway, so two of them are redundant. I'll send you the fpd if you want.
SlightlyNasty
Those busbars are always so satisfying.
luchog
sduck wrote:
It's from front panel express. It was really quickly done, so the mounting standoffs on the back don't really line up exactly, And it's got four inputs because there are four spots for inputs on the pcb, although I didn't know the device well enough to know that it can only use 2 at a time anyway, so two of them are redundant. I'll send you the fpd if you want.

That would be great, thanks. I'll see if I can adjust it a bit. Also planning on digging into some of the other options, since there appear to be connections for a bunch of other stuff, and I'll probably bring that USB connection to the front panel as well.
sduck
luchog wrote:
sduck wrote:

That would be great, thanks. I'll see if I can adjust it a bit. Also planning on digging into some of the other options, since there appear to be connections for a bunch of other stuff, and I'll probably bring that USB connection to the front panel as well.

Here...
BARD

Tiny monosynth case for testing new modules and recording synth sections track-by-track smile The A-140 ADSR is in the fact discrete ADSR in disguise (magic smoke escaped original one).
luchog
BARD wrote:

Tiny monosynth case for testing new modules and recording synth sections track-by-track smile The A-140 ADSR is in the fact discrete ADSR in disguise (magic smoke escaped original one).

Curious about what appears to be a vacuum-tube-based filter there. I can't quite make out the writing on the panel. Is that a DIY module, and can you provide more info on it?
audioCTRL
BARD wrote:

w00t all of that looks very interesting!
CeeJay
Cedrik Ha wrote:

That is great! Exactly what my RE303 needs! Any more infos on this? Which pots are you using? Do you have spare adapter-PCBs?
BARD
luchog wrote:

Curious about what appears to be a vacuum-tube-based filter there. I can't quite make out the writing on the panel. Is that a DIY module, and can you provide more info on it?

This is prototype of tube multimode filter. I decided to make little different DIY version, here's the thread about it:
http://muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=210855
syntherjack
Hello,
very small build from me. Few weeks ago I've finished final stage of my universal audio / CV signal router (called Wieheister) and here it is:

[/img]
luchog
BARD wrote:
luchog wrote:

This is prototype of tube multimode filter. I decided to make little different DIY version, here's the thread about it:
http://muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=210855

Ah, I had forgotten about that thread, even though I had it bookmarked. d'oh!
djthopa
Arduino Octave / Semitones switcher

FetidEye

drone noise synth with 20 patchpoints
keinhen

A little dump of the modules I've made so far! Starting to branch out into designing my own circuits, so far most of them have been other people's deisgns or modified / combined versions of pre-existing ones.
Revok
I really like the panels, keinhen. Great looking photos too!
keinhen
Thanks a lot revok! Tried to get a cohesive look in both panel design and photo, happy to hear it's hitting the mark.
sduck
They really do look nice! Very cohesive, consistent style - I like it. More info please - what circuits are these? And some pics of the backs would be nice.
keinhen
Thanks a lot sduck!

In the same order as posted above:

1. 16-voice stereo sample player I use as a drum machine voice. It has a CVable pitch control as the top knob.

2. Triple LPG and Triple Passive VCA. Three passive lopass gates at top with CV attenuation, and three NPN transistor based passive vcas, based around the dr-110 schematics.

3. LMNCs "Big Button" Drum trigger sequencer, but I added my own clock circuit so It can play without external clocking necessary.

4. An input module with two INA217 preamps for microphones, two CGS-60 Stombox Adapters with amplifying / attenuating at a ratio of 20, and a Midisizer Midi2CV Mk2 Midi to CV converter giving 4 CVs and 4 Gates out.

5. My stereo output module, with three 3-input channels that can be panned left or right and mixed, then it meters on the some LEDs, and gives you balanced L / R main outputs, and a headphone output.

6. And the final one is just all three Monotrons shoved behind one panel hihi broke out filter I/O, cutoff, cv and gate for each panel and rigged them into there.

Pictures in the same order of which are available, veroboard rats nests incoming!

if you want more info or sounds I've posted these and some other tinkerings on my instagram here
Monkizzle
keinhen we're friends on Instagram and I'm like, "finally!", glad to see you here on MW!
nanners It's peanut butter jelly time!
oberkorn
I made rvrv's tube filter, incredible bass response.
thread here: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=183541&start=all
and short demo vid here: https://vimeo.com/319940567
[/img]
keinhen
Monkizzle wrote:
glad to see you here on MW!
nanners It's peanut butter jelly time!

Cheers! Been lurking for a while, but decided to post them over here as well if someone might be interested Mr. Green happy to jump into the fold!
keinhen
oberkorn wrote:
I made rvrv's tube filter, incredible bass response.
thread here: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=183541&start=all
and short demo vid here: https://vimeo.com/319940567

Really tasty resonance kicking in when you dial in that feedback, and loving the compact case you're rocking! nanners Gotta love some tube-action in modular format too Mr. Green
standudinski

My Polyvox build
Yodhan
Not nearly as pretty as some of these builds, but it’s my first swing at a kit module. Built a Barton Buffered Mult because I needed some buffered multi and this one gave me more ins and outs for less money. Did the panel design myself because I wasn’t the hugest fan of the SynthCube panel graphics (love their kits though) Struggled with the decal material. Going to be a learning experience with the subsequent builds.

Now onto a mixer, a S&H, a LFO and a sequencer. And I have a few more kits on the way. I think this forum created a monster.
sduck
I probably shouldn't post this here, in the august company of the previous posts, as it was one of the easiest to assemble kits I've ever built, but it's so cool I couldn't resist -

I'm thinking of adapting it to a 1U modules, which will make it more appropriate - I've got a lot of 1U real estate available.
Yodhan
Finished the Barton attenuverter mixer today too. Realized after the graphic was on that I forgot to put a line for the 4th channel.

sduck
Yodhan wrote:
I forgot to put a line for the 4th channel.

Sharpie.
Jarno
sduck wrote:
I probably shouldn't post this here, in the august company of the previous posts, as it was one of the easiest to assemble kits I've ever built, but it's so cool I couldn't resist -

I'm thinking of adapting it to a 1U modules, which will make it more appropriate - I've got a lot of 1U real estate available.

I've seen those meters in China Banggood link been meaning to give them a try, but I have so many old meters laying around it really doesn't make sense grin
They look great though, in China terms not dirt cheap (which might mean they are actually decent quality).
Yodhan
sduck wrote:
Yodhan wrote:
I forgot to put a line for the 4th channel.

Sharpie.

My wife said the same thing. Probably going to happen.
SoundPool
FetidEye wrote:

drone noise synth with 20 patchpoints

curious to hear this, is it from one of your available PCBs?
FetidEye
https://soundcloud.com/reverselandfill/creepnoise
https://soundcloud.com/reverselandfill/treenoise

The insides are the CreepCluster & an old version of the Noise, which has a 4070 "ringmod" in the patchbay . I'm going to add this in again, when I order new pcb's. it gives great results!

The creepcluster section is modded with an extra analog switch routing (you can add 2 with the current pcb. ) fun part is that you can route noise though it, and change the "pitch" / switching speed.
StillNotWorking
sduck, I'm embarking on a similar sized setup as yours. Currently shopping around for bus boards. Are those you used in your nice build commercially available?
sduck
StillNotWorking wrote:
sduck, I'm embarking on a similar sized setup as yours. Currently shopping around for bus boards. Are those you used in your nice build commercially available?

Sure! I got them and the associated hardware from digikey - here are the part numbers links:
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/phoenix-contact/0402174/277- 5350-ND/348251
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/phoenix-contact/0404428/277- 5355-ND/348255
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/phoenix-contact/0404017/277- 5366-ND/348252
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/phoenix-contact/0421032/277- 5484-ND/348259
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/phoenix-contact/0421029/277- 5367-ND/348258
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/phoenix-contact/0421016/277- 5477-ND/348257

The copper bars are 3 feet long I think, but they're easy to cut to whatever size you need - I used a dremel cutting wheel. Then you need the wire - I used 14 awg stranded from home depot, it's a bit stiff to work with, but can be managed (having a good wire stripper is a Very Good Idea). I also used Ox-gard on the wire connections to ensure a problem-free long contact life. The power inlet is by schurter, mouser part number 693-4304.6058. I'll let you pick out PSUs, although I got them from mouser, can provide numbers if wanted. One thing I'll say about having dual 10.2 amp supplies - while they're fairly future proof, they're also HEAVY, and are fairly noisy, vibration-wise - if you use them, put some insulation between the PSUs and the cabinet (I need to add some). It doesn't get into the modular signal, but is audible in the room, although I find I don't notice it once I get some sound going.
StillNotWorking
sduck wrote:
StillNotWorking wrote:

Sure! ...

Thanks sduck. Although your post were very informative I'm truly sorry for the misunderstanding. I meant the PCB busboards and should have mentioned I'm slowly moving forward an old idea and are building 1 meter long skiffs with exsternal transformers for each skiff placed in a seperate skiff.

Nearly finished with the template for side panels, — some light sanding and hopefully accurate drilling still to do. Separated into two cases each 1 x 0.52 meter case will have 3 skiffs (588HP) and fittings for two standard 1U rack panels.
Synthbuilder
So I found some SAD512D chips that I had forgotten about that had been reclaimed from a Klark Teknik DN34. Awesome I thought. But how do I know they work. So I built a slightly modified clone of my favourite flanger, the Boss BF-1, that was repurposed to take either a SAD512D or the original SAD1024. Flanger's are an excellent way of checking behaviour of BBDs since problems with insertion loss and age related noise are easily heard.

It fits nicely in a Hammond 1590XX case - although, as you can see, I spared no expense with my no frills Dymo labelling.

If you do have a spare SAD1024 knocking around and are wondering what to do with it I have made the PCB available to purchase.

http://www.oakleysound.com/Vintage_Flanger.htm
dooj88
jonny_w wrote:

IT'S ALIIIVE!!!! I'm one switch short of getting the touch controller working (and haven't calibrated the 208 yet), but everything seems to be working as it should!! SlayerBadger!

that's fucking nuts. awesome.
sduck
StillNotWorking wrote:
I meant the PCB busboards

Oh! They're from http://www.genusmodu.com - and get ready for some sticker shock. They may not be worth the bother for a smaller system.
StillNotWorking
sduck wrote:
StillNotWorking wrote:
I meant the PCB busboards
Oh! They're from http://www.genusmodu.com - and get ready for some sticker shock. They may not be worth the bother for a smaller system.

Thanks! Guinness ftw!

ouch, those are serious money. Interestingly I find in they're noise comparation tables a standard 1oz busboard already do better than any noise figure I expect to get from any of my modules audio out. Although I can see one would want to strive for full 24-bit DR as the LIBB claimes these are out of reach for me. But I desided to upgrade to better caps on all psu boards and maybe on BB I deside to buy.
solaranus
My first five modules, four from kassutronics and simple headphone amp with three inputs. Nothing much but enough to get some textures/drones.

Panels are from formulor. They look good but are sadly too easy to bend (1,6 mm thick two color) so I will have to find an alternative.
sirjpink
Build a small eurorack PSU for my orphaned Moog skiff this weekend and also put together a Kickall to test it hmmm.....

The PSU in slightly more detail (with some glaring design errors on my part):

It runs of the standard Moog wall wart and connector board:
cartertools
It doesn't get more basic than this. Six passive attenuators. Inputs are normalled so I can have multiple outs of the same signal at different levels. No PCB just direct wiring.

sduck
Here's one I managed to finally get done.

Sanoj
Built most of this stuff in 2019, exept two of the vcos and the cabinet,
some of it still needs to be calibrated help
also almost done with a 808 clone, and working on a 303 smile

sduck
Got one of these going, after a false start...

AlanP

Buchla 291 Band Pass Filter, with mods by Scott Stites for low pass and high pass, plus input mixer. More organic than your grandpa's old gumboots.
Monkizzle
VACTROL GALORE nanners Dead Banana

AlanP wrote:

Buchla 291 Band Pass Filter, with mods by Scott Stites for low pass and high pass, plus input mixer. More organic than your grandpa's old gumboots.
dot matrix madness
Theremin-like CV and Gate (Doepfer A-178 clone)

elmegil
OMG I actually finished something!! (for values of "finished" that mean "fully functional but not necessarily in an enclosure or anything)

Jarno
solaranus wrote:
My first five modules, four from kassutronics and simple headphone amp with three inputs. Nothing much but enough to get some textures/drones.

Panels are from formulor. They look good but are sadly too easy to bend (1,6 mm thick two color) so I will have to find an alternative.

I use Formulor as well, but always the 3mm thickness, works fine. Made a balanced output module, with XLR connectors, and these have a higher insertion force so I doubled up the material, 6mm in total, no bendiness.
Reese P. Dubin

4th panel for a friends system from left

CGS Bi N Tic-WOW this is amazing
Serge VCQF
Fonik Resonators
T Henry QFG- my last PCB from the legendary Randaleem scammer
CGS Infinite Melody
Fonik Attenuvert Mixer
CLOUDS with GMSN boards
C Lee quantizer

this system rocks so hard i hate giving it back every time it expands
vespine
Current progress after about 6 months, all modules built from kits by me. Have about 4 left to make, then I'm going to start working on the custom hinged case.

some of the modules are going to be fitted into the rack blanks, like the mult and maybe the output.

rsholmes
So far this year.

Homebrew ribbon controller

3Ux104HP case, with room below for M-32

Befaco Even VCO

AI Synthesis Mixer and Looping ADSR

Zlob MiniAtt and horstronic. Buffmult
djthopa
Not module builds but little breadboard lepers to give me a hand me when trying to breadboard stuff:

Jarno
Not a fan of breadboard myself, but those look very useful, nice work!

If you put things like integrators on there as well, you can build your own analog computer! grin
fitzgreyve
You wait for a BBD based delay and then three come along at once.....

(Each fitted with a different BBD)
djthopa
Thanks Jarno!

Thought it would make things easier on the breadboard, and get to learn more about op amp configurations.

Ill post the files on the github,

Cheers!

Jarno wrote:
Not a fan of breadboard myself, but those look very useful, nice work!

If you put things like integrators on there as well, you can build your own analog computer! grin
JakoGreyshire
Awesome work fitzgreyve! Checking out your blog for more info now... Looking for a video.... Can you confirm that the MN3009 works in these?
Or a better question would be, what chips do you have in these three BBD delays?

fitzgreyve wrote:
You wait for a BBD based delay and then three come along at once.....

(Each fitted with a different BBD)
lilakmonoke
AlanP wrote:

these look awesome, where is the pcb from? with a mix pot this would be a really interesting eq. all bandpass filters need a mix option but never have :-)
fitzgreyve
JakoGreyshire wrote:
Checking out your blog for more info now... Looking for a video.... Can you confirm that the MN3009 works in these?
Or a better question would be, what chips do you have in these three BBD delays?

No video (yet), but some very basic sound samples on my blog.

I currently have fully working modules with: MN3004, MN3007, MN3207, MN3208.

I see no reason why it won't work with an MN3009, because it has exactly the same pin-out as MN3007. Muff's user mothertongue has said he will be building using MN3009, but no update on this yet.

MN3208 implies MN3205 will work fine as the same pinout.

Haven't got V3205D working for longer delays. It should work as it's pin compatible with MN3208/MN3205. Suspect cheap chinese knock-offs that don't function over the whole supply range specified by CoolAudio (trying to run at 8V supply).
cartertools
Made a dual Lag Processor on stripboard directly taken from Bernardi's schematic (http://www.bernacomp.com/elec/og2/og2_lag.html) but made it with a TL074 so I could have two in 6hp. (I added bypass caps to the power rails after the top pic was taken, don't worry...). Bottom pic is oscilloscope showing note CV from the BSP run through it. Sounds great.

sduck
Another one finished...
elmegil
That is a lovely panel and some sharp aluminum knobs.
cygmu
I have not posted much in these threads but I am somewhat happy with this one so here it is. My own module design: a four channel interpolating scanner and VCA based on Don Tillman's scanner circuit, with his permission. Many thanks to Loudest Warning / the bad producer for the panel! Knob colours may be explained by the next batch of photos.

Below, the reason I ran out of black knobs. I finally built up this VV3 panel that had been lying around for a while. Had a hard time photographing it indoors so...

muncky
cygmu wrote:
I have not posted much in these threads but I am somewhat happy with this one so here it is. My own module design: a four channel interpolating scanner and VCA based on Don Tillman's scanner circuit, with his permission. Many thanks to Loudest Warning / the bad producer for the panel! Knob colours may be explained by the next batch of photos.

Congrats!! Great to see the finished article Guinness ftw!
jules
It looks like it belongs in a trident fleximix console.
Gorgeous.

sduck wrote:
Another one finished...
hox3d
cygmu wrote:

Below, the reason I ran out of black knobs. I finally built up this VV3 panel that had been lying around for a while. Had a hard time photographing it indoors so...

Are there any plans to sell these?
nimets
Befaco muxslicer - very nice build applause

cygmu
hox3d wrote:

If you mean the 4 channel scanner, yes, I hope to make boards available pretty soon. There are still a couple of little errors on the board which I'd prefer to get rid of first. The plan is that both the boards and the Loudest Warning panels will be available.
Reality Checkpoint
cygmu wrote:
hox3d wrote:

If you mean the 4 channel scanner, yes, I hope to make boards available pretty soon. There are still a couple of little errors on the board which I'd prefer to get rid of first. The plan is that both the boards and the Loudest Warning panels will be available.

thumbs up
FetidEye

A Kustom Kastle synth, with banana jacks instead of pins and a nice oak wood case.
uuav
I made all this over the past year and half (keyboard and case also smile )
bottom left is MFOS soundlab, top right is pharmasonic ring mod & 6 dumb passive lowpass gates, bottom right two pharmasonic SY-Core SY-Mod.
Promised myself to never go over 2x84hp, but yolo, time to build a new case.
FetidEye
Wooden Serge project. Large format modules!
I have quite a backlog of CGS modules, so this will grow to a very large system smile

more info:
project page
OIP
uuav wrote:
I made all this over the past year and half (keyboard and case also smile )
bottom left is MFOS soundlab, top right is pharmasonic ring mod & 6 dumb passive lowpass gates, bottom right two pharmasonic SY-Core SY-Mod.
Promised myself to never go over 2x84hp, but yolo, time to build a new case.

awesome! i have a whole chunk of the same NLCs and the syncussion (nice job drilling the panels). also gave up the 2 row dream pretty quick...
charonme
DMR wrote:
I made a 2HP expander for the 4MS rotating clock divider:

ooooh love how did you make the panel?
nimets
Very happy with my Music Thing Radio Music It's peanut butter jelly time!

[/img]
elmegil
Still need to decide what I want to do for a panel, but it's fully functional now...

slick8086
My first module! Now all I have to do is build a case, power supply, envelope generator, and VCA... NO PROBLEM!!!! So far it has been fun. Sourcing the parts was a bit more of an adventure than I expected.... 137K Ohm resistors anyone? ....well I ordered a hundred of them so now I'll never need to use one again I'm sure. My home stock is looking good so on my next modules I won't have to order much at all.

gnsk
sushi launch bus
based on befaco launch bus schematics

batchas
Between 2 other projects, I finally finished the Serge M-Class panel I started a while ago.
Panel ordered at Schaeffer Germany, gate sequencer is CGS89, PCB for clock/LFO/VCO is Pico VCO from Stroh.
I made a PCB for panel components and no wiring for the Gate Sequencer.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGkpEN5rXRU

stoiker
I bought a Pittsburgh SV-1 a few months ago and enjoy it a lot. It's my gateway drug. I'll do as much DIY as I can, so here's what I build so far. A sloppy assembled case (still needs a PSU), a logic module based on the RYO schematics and a passive multiply. Yeah, I'm bad at drilling and painting.

solaranus
Jarno wrote:

I use Formulor as well, but always the 3mm thickness, works fine. Made a balanced output module, with XLR connectors, and these have a higher insertion force so I doubled up the material, 6mm in total, no bendiness.

Yeah, I switched to 3mm too and fill the engravings with a gel pen for a second colour.

Here is my latest three:

Utility LFO and Simple Wave Folder by CGS and State Variable Filter by MFOS, the old design.
Here from the side:

Who said something about needing pcbs anyway.
gnsk
based on electro smith's submodule

3340 VCO, 2164 VCA, 2144 LPF, FV-1 DSP

Monkizzle
gnsk wrote:
based on electro smith's submodule

3340 VCO, 2164 VCA, 2144 LPF, FV-1 DSP

Nice and neat builds It's peanut butter jelly time!
diablojoy
fonik VCPS-8 a euro version

had the board for years in my backlog
first time I tried to do a double sided self etch control panel board - came out goodish
panel also milled by me and then painted

cygmu
Yeah! That is great! I've always liked the idea of that module and your full DIY version is inspiring. Excellent work diablojoy
roglok
love the builds on this page. that's proper diy spirit among all the kits these days... thumbs up
uuav

when you need a slew limiter, like, right now.
gnsk
uuav wrote:

when you need a slew limiter, like, right now.

it reminds me of this;

kastl output to modular level.
sbusso
Just got started, 3d printed ears and panel for the rack, on going power supply.

BadPixel
sbusso wrote:
Just got started, 3d printed ears and panel for the rack, on going power supply.

Nice! applause

Here's my take on a modular 3D printed €-skiff. Still some bumps to iron out (power and busboard mainly) before it's finished.

sbusso
BadPixel wrote:
sbusso wrote:

Nice! applause

Here's my take on a modular 3D printed €-skiff. Still some bumps to iron out (power and busboard mainly) before it's finished.

what size is the bed of your 2d printer ? The ear I printed were quiet the maximum size I can do.
BadPixel
sbusso wrote:
what size is the bed of your 2d printer ? The ear I printed were quiet the maximum size I can do.

I have a Prusa i3 Mk3. The print volume is 25x21x21cm.
cackland
Some prototyping ...

selfdestroyer
Built a Ambika this week. I know they are old news but I fell in love with it instantly.

Just need a case.
OB1
Some pics of the prototypes of the first couple of modules for "alfa4" - a 4 voice modular polyphonic system using all AS33** chips from Alfa. The system will eventually include a quad VCO, quad VCF, two quad VCADSRs, a quad VCA (with additional VCAs for velocity). Control will be via a Midimuso CV-12 based MIDI-CV module and a master controller for the envelopes, filter, etc. I'll also be adding a 1U row with a bunch of mults/LFOs and a noise generator. This is the quad VCO/VCF. Eventually, I plan to learn KiCad and rebuild it all using PCBs (still undecided whether to go THT, SMT or a mix of both) and will have CNC milled anodised aluminium panels. More info on my blog: http://modular.ob1techno.com

VCO:

VCF:

uuav
OB1
Seriously beautiful DIY stuff
OB1
uuav wrote:
OB1
Seriously beautiful DIY stuff

keinhen

Put together my take on the 3340! A Dual VCO that tracks 1v/oct very stabley thanks to some TL431s making stable voltage references where needed, and with the tuning implementations in Rob Hordijks papers on the AS3340.

It has linear and exponential FM, hard and soft sync, PWM and outputs Sine, Triangle, Ramp and Pulse waveforms at +-10vpp. Coarse and fine tune knobs are used, and a switch that slows down oscillation to LFO ranges.

In the middle I put an 8 way selector and a SPDT to choose between selected cross-modulation points between the two oscillators, turning it into a more complex waveform generator with minimal hassle smile

Draws about 70mA at +-15V.
Reese P. Dubin
keinhen wrote:

oh my what are those tiny knobs? these are exactly what i need
keinhen
Reese P. Dubin wrote:
keinhen wrote:

oh my what are those tiny knobs? these are exactly what i need

Slim metal 10x15mm knobs smile

I got them from Adafruit
https://www.adafruit.com/product/2057

I hesitate to recommend them from that source as shipping was costly and they all came individually in tiny minigrips which irked me from a sustainability standpoint as I was left with tons of excess plastic afterwards, and you can find what appear to be the same knobs with the search term "Slim metal potentiometer knob" in a ton of places.

But the knobs themselves are great! Use them all the time now.
Kampfzwerg
OB1:

Love those alfa4 too
applause
Kampfzwerg
Hi there wigglers

time to show my prototype SEM...

Still waiting for the 18.5V supply to arrive.

djs
Kampfzwerg wrote:
time to show my prototype SEM...

This looks awesome! Any chance of it becoming something for sale?
Kampfzwerg
Thanks for your comment djs!

Not sure yet, I have to get it to work properly first.

Another thing is the 50k center tabbed potentiometers.
I didn't find a supplier that does them in the quality I need them.
So I have to make them myself, which is pretty fiddely.

For me this is more of a "the journey is the destination" thing.
I want to know if I can even do it. And I got a family too...

Martin
soup
Trying out some new panel material, laser cut mdf, the beginnings of a cgs sequencer maybe, pulse divider and quad logic gate in banana frac...

gnsk
sample and hold and lfo and lfo and noise

djthopa
gnsk wrote:

Wow!
tobb
Kampfzwerg wrote:

Martin

You can get them in small quantity's from Omeg UK,also the pot with switch for the filter mode
SlightlyNasty
That point-to-point is fab, gnsk.

soup - is that melamine coated MDF you're using or just painted? Looks great!
Kampfzwerg
tobb wrote:
Kampfzwerg wrote:

Martin

You can get them in small quantity's from Omeg UK,also the pot with switch for the filter mode

Hi tobb

Thank you for your comment!

I'll contact Omegs sales about that, since I couldn't see anyting about it on their Website.

And as for the BP switch: I'll probably just go for the reissue SEM design and put in a slide switch.
Kampfzwerg
I just got a friendly Mail from Omegs saying that they stopped making these
center tapped Pots back in the 1990s.
I think they would start producing them if I'd buy 120'000 of them hihi

Anyway, it was worth a try. Thanks again.
soup
SlightlyNasty wrote:
soup - is that melamine coated MDF you're using or just painted? Looks great!

Thanks. It's coated mdf, not melamine but something similar. It's a nice change from the acrylic I had been using a lot.
Kampfzwerg
Hey soup: I really like how you layed out that pannel!
jochem
I've recently built two modules, designed by David Haillant. Both are adaptations of Music from outer space: the Weird sound generator and the Sound lab mini system.

cackland
Where did you get the pcbs manufactured?
Kampfzwerg
cackland:

Are you asking just jochem or the general public?
jochem
cackland wrote:
Where did you get the pcbs manufactured?

I bought them from David Haillant: www.davidhaillant.com. If i remember correctly, they will be sold through synthcube.
Reese P. Dubin
gnsk wrote:

o hell yes look at that mess!
love this
Reese P. Dubin

pic upload wont allow rotation today so...

I tore down and rebuilt stuff from the last 12 years into a lil system for a friend. The top section in '4U' the bottom essentially Frac. Pretty fun
Orgone Accumulator
TH XR VCO
TH LM VCO
mix
Serge middle wave mult
VCQF
SSG
VCS
Appendage ribbon controller. Did only like 10 of us make these???
Barton Dual Nice Quantizer
4 LFOs from Marjan's MS20 revision
VCA VC mix bank
5V source/simple comparator/ext input
2 outputs with volume

sadly too tired to give it the full workout it deserves before it leaves for its new home.
charonme

heptaphasis MW thread
fitzgreyve
Original Digisound 80-17 Reverb PCB repackaged for Eurorack.

The add-on PCB is a duplicate output filter for stereo out, plus CV control of Delay (I basically just put a vactrol across the clock frequency control resistor). Switches add "echo" mode and choice of feedback stage.

The original digisound PCB was "interesting" to assemble (nearly 35 years ago!) - top ground plane without any solder mask.
dKRelease
ARP 2600 clone in eurorack format

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=215178&postdays=0&po storder=asc&start=50
forestcaver
4hp, triple S+H, independent noise generation, aluminium panel, with trig normalled (0603 parts on the back to make it easier to diy and based on kinks S+H section)

StillNotWorking
wrong thread - sorry zombie
Pav
Oakley 5U builds:

Pav
Utilities Panel consisting of YuSynth Clock Divider, MFOS Quantizer, passive mult, in an "AllMetalParts" case with Oakley PSU.

For any of you who have built the mfos quantizer look closely at this pcb

I believe this was a prototype that was sent out by supplier by mistake. They sent a regular pcb after to the friend who passed this on to me. Not only are the SS4,5,6 holes missing on the right, plus holes for two capacitors were missing too. But i puzzled it out and luckily got it to work Rockin' Banana!
Pav
For the Eurorack afficianados...

[/url]

I used the MN3007 BBD ..onboard lfo is a bonus. Still need to find some decent knobs that fit.
StillNotWorking
DAC+ DSP. Hope this setup will make it easy to get into RPi synthesis and hi-fi.
DSP function seems intriguing.

[/img]
sduck
I've got a similar RPi/hifiberry setup for streaming stuff from my computer to my stereo. Using Volumio. It works fairly well. Fiddly, but works.

BTW, this thread is normally used for showing off modular synth related DIY builds - the kind of stuff you've been posting here might be better suited for the New Booty thread - https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4323
rico loverde
Havent done much DIY since taking a job running a pick n place machine. Heres two recent projects for my Bugbrand system.

Dual Thomas White LPG and a CGS04 DC Mixer

OIP
laid out a little moog VCA, shamelessly copied from existing schematics, mainly wanted to try a 2 board layout with headers and see if it works (it does!)

on the more homemade end, did up a serge noise source from CGS schematic on vero.

it's a cool circuit and i might make a PCB version. finally the SSG has a proper source and everything is random.
home_listening
Put a few articles up on my website about various things lately:

Calrec Equaliser Clone

Lundahl LL4202 Balancing Box

Ethos DJ Mixer
Part 1 - Input Channels
Part 2 - Metering
Part 3 - Summing Amplifiers
Part 4 - Output Amplifiers
Part 5 - Power Supply
Part 6 - Enclosure
Part 7 - Connection
Part 8 - Assembly

Synthbuilder
I wanted a Moog 960 style sequencer but didn't have the space for a 5U one so I thought about doing my own one in Euro with a few changes. Each step has skip and reset functions, and the unit allows parallel loading of multiple stages like the expanded Turing Machine and Klee. Loading can be done asynchronously or applied on the next shift (clock) pulse.

The 2mm thick panel is from Schaeffer and is 50HP wide. I've used their black print option on natural finish. It cost around 50GBP which I didn't think was too bad.

This is my first surface mount eurorack project and initial tests suggest that all has gone well. I can't say how pleased I was to find the panel matched up with the pot and switch board perfectly. I'll be doing some more playing with it this weekend.

I put a couple of 16-way IDC headers on the main board to allow for future expansion, although I'm not sure at the moment what I will do with these.

Tony
Grumble
I made a Tap Tempi Eurorack Module.
Its inputs are a Momentary Tap Switch and a Tempo input square(pulse) signal.
The (simultaneous) outputs are: A pulse each time the Tap switch is pressed or when a leading edge of the input signal is detected (1/4), two pulses (2/4), three pulses (3/4), four pulses (4/4) and an output where you can chose from the other outputs by pressing a small switch next to the other 4 outputs which tempo you want.

OB1
Alfa4 - a modular analogue polysynth based on the AS3340/20/10/60 VCO/VCF/VCADSR/VCA chips from Alfa Rpar.

Built from scratch on stripboard with handmade acrylic panels. 75 days of working on it every day.

Front:

Rear:

Original concept drawing:

More info/details here: http://modular.ob1techno.com/category/alfa4/
mome rath
OB1 wrote:
Alfa4 - a modular analogue polysynth based on the AS3340/20/10/60 VCO/VCF/VCADSR/VCA chips from Alfa Rpar.

Built from scratch on stripboard with handmade acrylic panels. 75 days of working on it every day.

More info/details here: http://modular.ob1techno.com/category/alfa4/

nice!!
Shakespeare
Very small potatoes on the DIY front, but a fun little project. I have two racks in my system... one is a 104hp skiff full of a hodge-podge of modules, and the other is a Mantis case that is almost entirely Mutable Instruments modules. The one module in the MI case that really threw off the look was my Sloths module... so I made a replacement panel that is an homage to Hannes's design work for MI. Really happy with how it turned out... I was afraid the metal tone wouldn't be a good match, but it's close to exact:

Now, if anyone has a source for 6.35mm Rogan knobs, I'd be much obliged. I can only find them in D-shaft and T18, neither of which will work Dead Banana
OIP
that's hilarious! looks great / wrong / awesome

also holy shit about the alfa4 build. amazing work.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 9