MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Erica Synths Plasma Drive?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Erica Synths Plasma Drive?
uniquepersonno2
This just popped up on Erica Synth's instagram story. I don't think I've seen anything about it before, perhaps a new fusion module in the works?

burnn_out!
Looks like it might be a port of this pedal that's coming soon

http://www.perfectcircuit.com/gamechanger-audio-plasma.html
NoLegs
The pedals been out for awhile and I almost picked one up. I saw they were in Riga with Erica so I was hoping they would make a Fusion module with it.
FarmerPhilip
That looks so cool I don't CARE what it does: I want one in EVERY corner of my rack!!!

PLASMA!!!!!!!!!!
anselmi
oh, no! just purchased the pedal 2 weeks ago... d'oh!

here is it... Dead Banana

https://www.instagram.com/p/Brx7MapAG6q/?utm_source=ig_web_button_shar e_sheet

https://www.instagram.com/p/Br-0bsUgGXx/?utm_source=ig_web_button_shar e_sheet
myworstenemy
Saw this. Leaked onto IG. love
codetocontra
It is a pretty rad pedal for guitar and drum machines. Will be tempted to get a module too.
Esgal
Like I said on the Erica IG post...

I CANT WAIT!
ben_hex
Very excited about this.
NoLegs
ben_hex wrote:
Very excited about this.


I hope you do a video on it, your videos on the Fusion modules were some of my favorites, and I ended up buying all of the Fusion modules. You owe me like $2000 now angry
MARK27
I was hoping to not feel compelled to buy anything for a while, but I HAVE TO HAVE a eurorack plasma drive. There is no way around it.

Hafta.

There goes my money.

Eurorack is killing me.
I live for eurorack.

dammit.

Dead Banana
defalut
"Oooh shiny!"
MindMachine
Eel Power FTW!
Yes Powder
I like that people here are seeming more receptive to this idea.
When Gamechanger released the plasma pedal, guitarists on comments sections all over Youtube were going, “It doesn’t sound like a Tubesscreamer or Marshall stack? HARUMPH!”
Like, when did electric guitarists become such a circlejerk of tradition-obsessed squares?
anselmi
Yes Powder wrote:
I like that people here are seeming more receptive to this idea.
When Gamechanger released the plasma pedal, guitarists on comments sections all over Youtube were going, “It doesn’t sound like a Tubesscreamer or Marshall stack? HARUMPH!”
Like, when did electric guitarists become such a circlejerk of tradition-obsessed squares?


it has mixed opinions...a lot of people thinks it´s crap and there´s many others that loves it

In my case (I´m a traditional producer) I´m working with different guitarists and when I showed them the pedal they all loved it. Then there´s the part of using it in a real situation, instead of just jam and play riffs in a random way. In some cases the sound was too much, and tended to dominate the mix. In others it added exactly what the track needed and was the perfect addition to it.
So in practice it´s just like any other fuzz pedal: sometimes they works sometimes they not.

I think that CV it´s great in the modular context (maybe overkill for most guitarists) so I´m tempted to switch to this version too...or maybe keep both
MARK27
I love distortion: fuzz, diode, led, tube rectified screamy-do's, whatever. They are all different distortions and I want all of them on my palette. They all have their different characteristics.

The guitarists that don't like it because it doesn't [do something that some old thing did] are the same ones that condemned Chuck Berry for abusing his amplifier. Whatever, man.

The more colors and variations, the better. This is modular, after all, innit?
Esgal
Anyone have a guess on HP? Gotta save room lol

Edit: 16 maybe? Looks like a telharmonic above it
uniquepersonno2
Esgal wrote:
Anyone have a guess on HP? Gotta save room lol

Looks around 14
Bob Borries
This is a shocking development

red
plasma rocks!




cool
Esgal
AAAAAHHHHHH!!! VIDEO!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bss9g6jgghn/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igs hid=1aljb2n2e3x6i
FarmerPhilip
Esgal wrote:
AAAAAHHHHHH!!! VIDEO!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bss9g6jgghn/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igs hid=1aljb2n2e3x6i


Did I say I wanted four of those????
No.

Every other module in my cases needs to be THAT!!!

I still don't care what it does - as long as ir wiggles to the sounds...
Rex Coil 7
I probably could stand to expose myself to more demonstrations of this technology for audio processing. However what I've heard so far has not impressed me. The sound it creates is nothing that cannot be done with $5.00 or $10.00 worth of jfets or a few other transistors arranged as fuzz circuits.

I've designed one or two ~~cough~~ of my own circuits over a couple of years, a few of them focused on the fuzz species. That said, I'm not hearing anything out of these "plasma" circuits that could not be very easily produced with a small handful of transistors, and perhaps an IC, or a few clipping diode combinations. In fact, the first one I heard in use was so limited that unless the musician used intervals restricted to an octave or a perfect fifth, the sound was totally useless as a musical sound, and completely unplayable when used to process a guitar. As long as the player stayed fenced in to using octaves or perfect fifths it was usable ... just barely. It was also very "gated" without offering any response to use of dynamic range by the player. If you played lightly, it simply gated out (like a noise gate). So the player is limited to bangin' the shit out of the strings with the volume knob maxed out, and sticking to perfect fifths and octaves.

Beyond that, it's a blinky light.

If blinky lights are your bag, fine. Get out your wallet, dig deep, and consume.

But I cannot agree with any claims of "newly developed sound" being produced with this combination of components. If one is buying with their ears ... save your money. If one is buying with their eyes, then bust out the big credit card, bang the BUY button, and be merry.

I didn't post in this thread to purposely shit in the punch bowl, but I feel the need to bring a little sobriety to the party. Even that demo video on Instagram linked in this thread demonstrates this device's limits. It's the chick with the great body that has absolutely no other redeeming qualities who purposely exploits the weaknesses of shallow boys to get her way by wearing revealing clothing.

Keep in mind these are just my opinions (which is 100% of why we belong to memberships of this ilk ... to share our opinions).

thumbs up
red
p l a s m a !



https://www.ericasynths.lv/news/plasma-drive/

(picture source: ericasynths.lv)
anselmi
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
I probably could stand to expose myself to more demonstrations of this technology for audio processing. However what I've heard so far has not impressed me. The sound it creates is nothing that cannot be done with $5.00 or $10.00 worth of jfets or a few other transistors arranged as fuzz circuits.

I've designed one or two ~~cough~~ of my own circuits over a couple of years, a few of them focused on the fuzz species. That said, I'm not hearing anything out of these "plasma" circuits that could not be very easily produced with a small handful of transistors, and perhaps an IC, or a few clipping diode combinations. In fact, the first one I heard in use was so limited that unless the musician used intervals restricted to an octave or a perfect fifth, the sound was totally useless as a musical sound, and completely unplayable when used to process a guitar. As long as the player stayed fenced in to using octaves or perfect fifths it was usable ... just barely. It was also very "gated" without offering any response to use of dynamic range by the player. If you played lightly, it simply gated out (like a noise gate). So the player is limited to bangin' the shit out of the strings with the volume knob maxed out, and sticking to perfect fifths and octaves.

Beyond that, it's a blinky light.

If blinky lights are your bag, fine. Get out your wallet, dig deep, and consume.

But I cannot agree with any claims of "newly developed sound" being produced with this combination of components. If one is buying with their ears ... save your money. If one is buying with their eyes, then bust out the big credit card, bang the BUY button, and be merry.

I didn't post in this thread to purposely shit in the punch bowl, but I feel the need to bring a little sobriety to the party. Even that demo video on Instagram linked in this thread demonstrates this device's limits. It's the chick with the great body that has absolutely no other redeeming qualities who purposely exploits the weaknesses of shallow boys to get her way by wearing revealing clothing.

Keep in mind these are just my opinions (which is 100% of why we belong to memberships of this ilk ... to share our opinions).

thumbs up


it´s much more interesting and unique sounding in the flesh
I was dubious after seeing the first videos, but then there was black friday and I got it for a very good deal

the construction is top notch, the knobs feels solid and it´s very responsive...the tone is really different to the other fuzzes that I own/owned, and it has some great extras like the build-in wet/dry knob, the low/hi EQ (that is great on its own) and the switch to use the EQ on the dry signal too. Also, if you crunk the volume knob you got another degree of saturation at the output stage that sounds great too! So even without using the plasma section you have a very good EQ and saturation
And about the plasma: it´s alive, man...it´s really add something to the sound that (for me) sounds more organic than most fuzzes.
When you rise the EQ levels too much it tends to lack a bit of mids, but since I like to combine it with other pedals that have plenty of mids (like the fuzz factory) it´s like a scoop feature or something
MARK27
Quote:
If blinky lights are your bag, fine. Get out your wallet, dig deep, and consume.


It would be great if you could express your opinion without the condescending attitude toward those of us that are interested in this product. C'mon, man.
Footkerchief
Aren't plasma globes known for causing pretty dire RF interference? Any chance this will cause bleed in adjacent modules?
Esgal
Footkerchief wrote:
Aren't plasma globes known for causing pretty dire RF interference? Any chance this will cause bleed in adjacent modules?


That’s a good question. My son has one. I’ll set it next to my rack and see what happens. And for good measure, I’ll listen with my EM mic too
anselmi
Footkerchief wrote:
Aren't plasma globes known for causing pretty dire RF interference? Any chance this will cause bleed in adjacent modules?


I have the pedal version and it´s near to a lot of other pedals and semi-modular analog synths, even close to one of my euro cabinets and I don´t noticed any kind of interference

a module version could be different though, but I think the thing is shielded to avoid this issues.
versipellis
I kinda wish the video demos of it had it with a wider variety of synths. It's a little too aggressive and in your face in the IG demo they posted.
magneteyez
There’s some serieus mayhem going on woah
kodek


cool
psykon
something wonderful Drunken Homer Simpson

I love it applause
Franktree
Not sure about sound, but it certainly LOOKS awesome.
NoLegs
I think it sounds great and different from the other distortions I have (and I have a lot). Really excited about the trigger able octave and sub octave switches, too. I can see a LOT of fun with that.
DanJGW
Full tilt sounds difficult to tame but I reckon half cocked it's going to be great with CV of course. To the poster saying about the sticking to consonant intervals when using the guitar version, that pretty much sums up every hardcore fuzz pedal I've ever tried and I've worked in a guitar shop for 23 years and personally know a few makers around here. YMMV of course but from my point of view different = good. applause
FarmerPhilip
Esgal wrote:
Footkerchief wrote:
Aren't plasma globes known for causing pretty dire RF interference? Any chance this will cause bleed in adjacent modules?


That’s a good question. My son has one. I’ll set it next to my rack and see what happens. And for good measure, I’ll listen with my EM mic too


All joking aside, that could - if controlled (contained) - be an interesting random source...
Richjk7
Is the sound actually going through the plasma or is just blinking from the input signal?
emilng
people on muffwiggler: "I'm surprised there aren't more women on this site"

also people muffwiggler:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
It's the chick with the great body that has absolutely no other redeeming qualities who purposely exploits the weaknesses of shallow boys to get her way by wearing revealing clothing.
Esgal
FarmerPhilip wrote:
Esgal wrote:
Footkerchief wrote:
Aren't plasma globes known for causing pretty dire RF interference? Any chance this will cause bleed in adjacent modules?


That’s a good question. My son has one. I’ll set it next to my rack and see what happens. And for good measure, I’ll listen with my EM mic too


All joking aside, that could - if controlled (contained) - be an interesting random source...


I still hav to dig through the garage to find the thing, but I think using an EM mic (routed into envelope follower) and then gradually bringing the bolt closer to the mic could be great for filter control and look freaking awesome.
sygor
I'm def gonna get this, it's utter filth! I might be being overly influenced by the excellent visuals but it sounds like electricity to me.
lisa
Any news on pricing? Asking for a friend. wink
bommelito
today amazona.de (not to confuse with amazon !!) names a price of 310 euros + VAT.
lisa
bommelito: thanks! w00t
Clacky
Franktree wrote:
Not sure about sound, but it certainly LOOKS awesome.


Yes indeeeeed!
djd_oz
bommelito wrote:
310 euros + VAT.


what?
RetroNice
djd_oz wrote:
bommelito wrote:
310 euros + VAT.


what?


Wow!
red
So what?
mclarensmps
Loving this
cg_funk
I told myself I wasn't going to GAS in 2019. No GAS this year.... <sigh> I really want this flashing in the corner of my rack..
Yes Powder
Really the only thing that's stopping me from buying it right now is that I'm afraid there might be too much functional overlap between this and my Zerosum Inertia Voltage Controlled Annihilation
batch
Just got one of these bad boys. The back ...

Esgal
Post videos now!
NoLegs
Just a quick patch. I'm using it on the side channel through a LRMSMSLR.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvApREbF_qk/
Esgal
NoLegs wrote:
Just a quick patch. I'm using it on the side channel through a LRMSMSLR.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvApREbF_qk/


Omg, I’m in love. Sounds wicked!
codetocontra
That. Is. Rad.
Cortega
NoLegs wrote:
Just a quick patch. I'm using it on the side channel through a LRMSMSLR.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvApREbF_qk/


love love Lotsa Love w00t!! w00t!! It's peanut butter jelly time!
Mashmore
I ordered one From Detroit Modular today and I'm pretty stocked. As far as RF is concerned ill post my experiences with it when it arrives...but by listening to Nolegs video I don't really care at this point. MY ASS IS BLEEDING Sounds excellent
NoLegs
Not a lot of videos so here's one I did a little while ago.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvaTxQbBXs_/

DETECT-Rx is extracting an envelope out of the Manis which is being routed to open and close the Fusion VCF and a next to end of chain VCA which clamps down on the signal after the Plasma Drive. Then the Autodyne squashes the hell out of everything.
Mashmore
NoLegs wrote:
Not a lot of videos so here's one I did a little while ago.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvaTxQbBXs_/

DETECT-Rx is extracting an envelope out of the Manis which is being routed to open and close the Fusion VCF and a next to end of chain VCA which clamps down on the signal after the Plasma Drive. Then the Autodyne squashes the hell out of everything.


That’s the stuff! Thanks for the patch notes as well Rockin' Banana!
Mashmore
Alright a little update. Yesterday was my first fully day with the plasma and it’s the bees knees! Incredibly complex and the trigger inputs really open the thing up. I am zero RF Interference for anyone who was curious.

Here is a simple plaits kick drum and rings click going into the plasma. I also have a noise gate at the end which works perfect for me to tame the noise floor introduced by the wet signal. Anyway this thing is a blast!

http://www.instagram.com/p/BwNsBtOF2cP/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igsh id=m19w7jy4zh4r
Funky40
The Demos on this page are awesome !
not followed this module/threads so far......(only read this page 3)


how picky is the distortion in regards to the input gain of the incoming signal ?
what interests me is the "transistion space"........the space between having no signal "acceleration" and full "distortion .
That space inbetween.

how would you rate that "width" ?
wide ? very narrow ? so, lala ? ok ? VERY NICE and wide ?

how quick does it react to modulations, up to what Hz number do you like it ? would the 10-50hz range work ?
Mashmore
Intellijel Planar 2 and Plasma drive from this afternoon. A manual gate into the dry/wet is very fun.



Funky40
Funky40 wrote:

how picky is the distortion in regards to the input gain of the incoming signal ?
what interests me is the "transistion space"........the space between having no signal "acceleration" and full "distortion .
That space inbetween.

how would you rate that "width" ?
wide ? very narrow ? so, lala ? ok ? VERY NICE and wide ?


was my wording not clear enough ?
are you guys to busy patching ? hihi
or are you all just don´t caring, .........or just not knowing it ?

the question itself is a good one.
for example have i had a Trogotronic unit, IIRC the 277.
The sound was cool, very nice kind of overdrive or so, but it was not possible to drive the thing inbetween full overdrive and nothing *by modulating the CV* input*.
The window between no effect and full effect was *very* narrow !


so how is the plasma drive on this ?
and i guess the input level has also its effect ?
so: overall, how good can you steer between no effect and full effect ???
i´m interested in the area inbetween wink


would anybody here please give a feedback on what you think ......based on patch experiences ?
Rex Coil 7
emilng wrote:
people on muffwiggler: "I'm surprised there aren't more women on this site"

also people muffwiggler:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
It's the chick with the great body that has absolutely no other redeeming qualities who purposely exploits the weaknesses of shallow boys to get her way by wearing revealing clothing.
Don't be stupid ... that comment I made was mocking shallow boys that see female humans as toys or "things".

"Snowflake" was just added to the Websters Dictionary in the latest edition. There's a reason for that.

Geezus.
Rex Coil 7
MARK27 wrote:
Quote:
If blinky lights are your bag, fine. Get out your wallet, dig deep, and consume.


It would be great if you could express your opinion without the condescending attitude toward those of us that are interested in this product. C'mon, man.
Why do you always take what I have to say as if I'm attacking you? (personally, you). Are you really that sensitive? Or are YOU the one using this forum to assert YOUR opinions on others (turning them in, reporting every tiny little "mistep" that doesn't fit your mold). I think it's the latter.

C'mon man. lol lol lol

It seems you just don't know what to do when someone's opinions are contradictive of what you want to hear. It's just adult discussion. I, and others like me, have earned as much right to our opinions as anyone else. Learn the adult art of conflict resolution, you will get much farther in life.

C'mon man. lol lol lol

If you have something you want me to actually read that you've said, send me a PM and we'll discuss the issue like grown-ass men. But throwing out micro-aggressions (or saying things to someone that if the setting were in a bar you might find yourself on the wrong end of someone's drunken anger!) while hiding in public is not adult, and is certainly no way to resolve a conflict.


But, then again, that's just my opinion.

lol lol lol lol
Mashmore
3 months later... Sheesh. Back to the module and PM this shit out.
NoLegs
Ran the Folktek Mescaline (Mental module) through the Plasma Drive in this patch. Gives it a nice "electric" buzzing sound to it, I think. There's a bit of an intro, so if you're just interested in hearing that part of it, it's around 3:15.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 3
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group