MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

DIY earth question
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author DIY earth question
cathmart
im building a Blue Lantern midi grids, I don't understand what to attach the ground too? see picture
Joe.
There's a footprint for a surface mount header, the 6 central pads are connected to 0v (and the outside pairs connected to -12v & +12v).
cathmart
Joe. wrote:
There's a footprint for a surface mount header, the 6 central pads are connected to 0v (and the outside pairs connected to -12v & +12v).

sorry, but i'm really new and inexperienced so I'll just take this slow, do you mean i attach a header to the point indicated then attach the 6 earths by wire to the 0v on the header?
thanks
rico loverde
cathmart wrote:
Joe. wrote:

sorry, but i'm really new and inexperienced so I'll just take this slow, do you mean i attach a header to the point indicated then attach the 6 earths by wire to the 0v on the header?
thanks
run a wire from one jack to another (earth / ground tabs), take the last one to the 0v pad.
jimfowler
sorry, misread the question.
Joe.
You need to get the build docs from the supplier.
cathmart
Joe. wrote:
You need to get the build docs from the supplier.

There is absolutely no information available from Blue Lantern.

Ive had a thread going since I got this project, and no information has surfaced from that. I've been going from the other grids diy info, but there's little of that. The only stuff out there is a bunch of useless technical stuff for board designers that the manufacture put up in the Survival guide.

But i'm not complaining, i've done other projects, that have a complete build guide, my inexperience is the problem.
cathmart
rico loverde wrote:
cathmart wrote:
Joe. wrote:

thanks
run a wire from one jack to another (earth / ground tabs), take the last one to the 0v pad.

sorry, is the arrow pointing at the correct header mount?

and then what about the other jack mounts, they do not have the image of the ground to orient them?
jimfowler
a cursory glance at the schematic will invariably answer your question.
cathmart
jimfowler wrote:
a cursory glance at the schematic will invariably answer your question.

There is no schematic for this model.
That's why I have to post on a forum and ask questions.
Do you have the schematic for the Blue Lantern Midi Grids?
Know where I can get one?
Jay F.
Blue Lantern publishes the schematics and layout of their adaptation from Mutable Instruments on their "survival" page (look at the back of the page). https://www.bluelanternstore.com/survival.html#/

Unfortunately, this looks like the original eagle files. I don't know where to find an easy to read PDF extract.

The best is to ask the question to Blue Lantern IMHO.
cnicht
Looking at the legend on the PCB it seems to me that you need to run a wire from the earth tab on the socket to the corresponding hole in the PCB vertically underneath it.

I’ve seen this arrangement in PCBs from other manufacturers but please check with build guide and schematics.

CORRECTION! There doesn’t appear to be a corresponding hole in the PCB! The silk screen shows the position but no hole! I think there should be!
flts
If you download the documentation package from the survival site and look closely at GRIDS-CORE-PCB.JPB you can see faint "SW" and "HOT" markings for all jacks, even those that don't have the sleeve pin "ear" in the silkscreen. That's how you can decipher the orientation of the remaining jacks.

If there seems to be no easier way for connecting the sleeve pins of the jacks to 0V/GND, then as mentioned, you can just wire all of them together and run a single wire from them to anywhere it says GND on the PCB (or anywhere where a pin is connected to ground plane/network, measured with multimeter).

I assume BL is the only one who knows how he planned the PCB to be populated, so I suppose the best advice anyone can give with this documentation is "just run a wire from the sleeve tabs to anywhere it says GND, it doesn't matter where as long as it won't get in your way later", but at least that way you'll get the jacks hooked up and can move on with the build.

It's too bad the PCB is a bit half-assed without build documentation or actual Eagle files containing schems / actual board file (the package only seems to include Gerbers so missing some information that would help a lot with troubleshooting or instructing others). I couldn't even find a single picture of "insides" of a completed module.
UltraViolet
It looks like the GND that is being pointed to is for a pot. If you ran the ground wire there it would likely be in the way of installing the pot later. Without any documentation this could be a very challenging build. Hopefully there is a wiggler out there that has built one already that can help.
UltraViolet
Nevermind, was looking at the PCB and panel backwards. That probably is a good place to ground the jacks.
UltraViolet
Looking at it again, it appears that the jacks are supposed to be installed on the other side of the PCB from where you have them. Can someone else check this.
Ron_H
UltraViolet wrote:
Looking at it again, it appears that the jacks are supposed to be installed on the other side of the PCB from where you have them. Can someone else check this.

I definitely concur with that assessment after seeing a pic of the front panel. Heck, it's even obvious without seeing it, judging by where the power connector is supposed to go.

https://modularaddict.com/bluelantern-grids
cathmart
WOW.....thank you all very much.
I'll move forward with the build, but I might need too ask again.
cathmart
UltraViolet wrote:
It looks like the GND that is being pointed to is for a pot. If you ran the ground wire there it would likely be in the way of installing the pot later. Without any documentation this could be a very challenging build. Hopefully there is a wiggler out there that has built one already that can help.

I've been examining the front panel and I think its set up so the jacks are earthed to it, and to the rack...is that possible?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1