MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Which one of the fam would you start?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Author Which one of the fam would you start?
southphillysynths
Looking for some advise for a first Ciat Lonbarde instrument to go with. I'm selling some euro and am really liking the instruments from Peter B.

Strangely enough, I didn't use to like the sounds I heard on demos, but recently I've been trying to make plucky pinged filter sounds mostly which seem to be what gongs were made for.

Eventually I would like to have a plumbutter, Sidrax, coco, and maybe even a deer organ. I see some great deals on BST right now, Sidrax seems to be perfect for me, I usually make drone music as it is and it looks to excel there.

Which instrument out of those listed above would you start with? Would love to perform with one instrument for Modular on the Spot.

P.S. Do I need patch cables and a power supply if I order direct from Synthmall? I thought I heard that you had to order an adapter as they are not included.
mbleming
Personally, I'd start with the Coco and if you can stretch it, Coco and Sidrax together...that combo is just amazing, endless fun. After that I'd pursue the Plum. The first choice depends on what you enjoy more...crazy broken but beautiful sample mangling (coco) or odd gong drones and drums. None of Peter's instruments are shipped with a PSU and you'll definitely need banana cables. If you opt to go with the Plum you'll want A LOT of cables, it really gets more and more interesting the more you patch it.
The Grump
I started with the Coco and haven't left it. It's utterly unique, and evolving. It's rather unlikely you'll ever outgrow it, but it's not exactly easy to use, nor is it immediate, per se. If you just want to get weird nonsense out of it, that's not difficult, but to really get it to sing takes time. It's even more expressive if you plug in raw banana jacks, and bridge the connections with your fingers. That's when things get really crazy because you can use pressure to attenuate the amount of signal being passed from one point to another, and you also act as an organic CV mixer. Super fun instrument! Should it be your first? I can't tell you that.
odditymedium
cocoquantus

q. why?
a. because it is peter's simplest and yet most complex instrument. its the best introduction to "thinking in ciat-lonbarde", if that makes sense.

q. how does that make sense?
a. it is simple as in its a (Coco + Quantussy), i.e., (delay/looper) + (powerful CV controller + simple sound generator)

it is complex as in the Quantussy is an elegant interface to a huge, vast sonic landscape

not to mention:
- bananas, meaning that you have an alien operating system for sound at your fingertips,
- 4 inputs, including XLR for Mics, and three stereo minijack inputs for synths, tape recorders, computers, what not.

sidrax is cool but coco is cooler
plumbutter is much simpler than the coco.

once the cocoquantus "clicks" in your head, thats it, everything in C-L is simpler
ookrsia
I spent a long time wondering which to get first Plum or Coco, but finally settled on Plum. I have not yet received it, so time will tell if I made the right choice.

The reason for choosing this finally came down to the sound. I'm currently working on a project where I am often finding myself needing quite clean sounds. Eventho I do really enjoy the actual sound of the Coco samplers, they do have their very particular lowfi glitchy sound which is always more or less noticeable. Sounds like this (another similar sound could be distortion, for example) can not be taken out. Plumbutter seems to offer a larger range of sounds, also quite clean ones if needed.

I do know that you can also use Quantussy as a sound source, but I could not find enough info on how big of varities of sounds can you actually get from it.
southphillysynths
Thank you all for the input! The coco seems pretty cool, but seems to really come alive with other sounds being fed into it.

Reminds me of phonogene and other such sampling/mangling devices. I always enjoy them but it takes some time getting used to and I don't think it might be the best place for me to start personally...
Lewis#
I started with a Plumbutter and I am sure you won‘t be disappointed. So many sources of sound and modulation. And the sound itself (somenthing very important to me since I have always been in search of the „perfect wave“) is simply lovely. Comparing several oscillators from Eurorack to classic synths leaves the Plumbutter at one of the top places in the list:

tears on a wallflower
southphillysynths
Lewis# wrote:
I started with a Plumbutter and I am sure you won‘t be disappointed.
tears on a wallflower

That was an incredibly wonderful peace, thanks so much for sharing!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Page 1 of 1