MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

nonlinearcircuits 2019 modules (assembled)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author nonlinearcircuits 2019 modules (assembled)
andrewF
I tend to only announce new modules in the DIY forum, but have been reminded that I should mention them here too, so here we go:

All NLC modules are available assembled directly from me. Usually a 1 week leadtime but currently it is 3-4 weeks as it is turning into a busy month.

I will add new ones to this post as 2019 progresses but for now -

Digital Filter Simulator
This module is based on ideas presented in a 1969 IEEE paper titled - Hybrid Implementation for Sampled-data controllers. The paper presents the canonical form of a generalised digital filter made using analogue elements.....yes this is an analogue circuit; all CMOS and op amps.

n0rd's demo - [s]http://soundcloud.com/subconsciousinclination/nlc-digital-filter-si mulator-demo[/s] If the soundcloud embed doesn't work click the link and have a listen to Steve's excellent demo.

GENiE - GEneralized Nonlinear Extrapolator

This module is made of 3 connected neuron circuits and a difference rectifier. Can be used for audio or CV purposes.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/subconsciousinclination/nlc-genie-demo[/s]

SPASM - vactrol controlled chaos

This module takes the classic Sprott jerk circuit and replaces all the resistors with LDRs.....a 7 way vactrol. This means the brightness of the LED in the giant vactrol controls the frequency and especially the behaviour of the circuit.

Signum Hyperchaos

This is an expanded version of the NLC Primal Hyperchaos which uses a signum switch as the nonlinear element. In this version the switch is brought out to the panel and can be used as a stand alone module, or used in conjunction with or a way to control the hyperchaos circuit, or you can just use it as a hyperchaotic CV module.

n0rd
NLC Digital Filter Simulator Demo:
https://soundcloud.com/subconsciousinclination/nlc-digital-filter-simu lator-demo

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/553523982" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=true&show_comments=true&show_user =true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="300" iframe="true" /]

+++ Rough notes for the Digital Filter Simulator Demo +++

+++ Notes for GENie Demo here +++

Guinness ftw!
n0rd
NLC Spasm Demo:
https://soundcloud.com/subconsciousinclination/nlc-spasm-demo

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/554447001" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=true&show_comments=true&show_user =true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="300" iframe="true" /]

+++ Rough notes for Spasm Demo here +++

hihi

Steve
n0rd
NLC Signum Demo:

https://soundcloud.com/subconsciousinclination/nlc-signum-demo

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/555818784" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=true&show_comments=true&show_user =true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="300" iframe="true" /]

+++ Rough notes for Signum Demo here +++
andrewF
Thanks Steve - great demos
ookrsia
Great to have these posted here on Eurorack as well.

AndrewF: I am interested in getting an NLC chaos module that could be used to produce patterns. Maybe sending in clock information, CV, gates etc. and then get a pattern. Then change what you send to the module and get another pattern. Maybe the module would get stuck into patterns.

Would any of your modules be good for this kind of thing? I know what I said is quite vague. Would the Hypster be a good place to start maybe?

I currently have the Triple Sloth which I like very much, but I'd be looking for something different.

Thanks
Ceres
ookrsia wrote:

AndrewF: I am interested in getting an NLC chaos module that could be used to produce patterns. Maybe sending in clock information, CV, gates etc. and then get a pattern. Then change what you send to the module and get another pattern. Maybe the module would get stuck into patterns.

Would any of your modules be good for this kind of thing? I know what I said is quite vague. Would the Hypster be a good place to start maybe?

I currently have the Triple Sloth which I like very much, but I'd be looking for something different.

Thanks

You could use a sample and hold with one of the NLC circuits if you want clocked chaotic voltage “patterns”. Chaos is somewhat cyclical but deviates from that cycle so you might find sweet spots where you get a somewhat repetitive pattern but that also deviates from that pattern. At any rate, sample and holds are great with chaos to get stepped voltages.
andrewF
ookrsia wrote:

Thanks

I'd suggest trying Statues or Let's Splosh.
Statues allows you to deconstruct a waveform into 8 sampled sections, if fed from your sloth you will end up with all kinds of interesting patterns. Splosh mixes up to 4 CVs and/or gates in 16 different ways to get 16 different CV signals.....all different but all vaguely related to each other.
andrewF
I can't believe it's not a VCO

This module is based on ideas presented in Electronotes #132. It is a VCF with a 'filter exciter' section to allow a wide variety of acoustic, semi-acoustic and not-acoustic-at-all sounds. In a sense it takes the concept of pinging the LPG or ringing a VCF one step (or 2) further. The decaying sound is fed back into the input via a VCA. The VCA can be controlled by a gate or an envelope (or both).

andrewF
1/n = a divider but also a Lunetta style CMOS noise maker

andrewF
Bi-di Choppers - Dual delta modulators can be used as 2 to 1 or 1 to 2 CV controlled switches....oh and the signals being switched also control the switching

andrewF
4HP MIX
The simplest module in the NLC range, a 4 input mixer.

The pots are 0 at centre, -1x gain to the left (inverts) and 1x gain to the right.

Pot 4 will act as a voltage offset if nothing is patched into input 4. It can supply -5V to +5V of offset. If you do not want any offset, leave pot 4 at midpoint, or patch your signal into input 4.

The module will work with audio and CV signals. It is useful for creating sequences from logic modules such as the Divide&Conquer, BOOLs or 1/n.

assembled = USD60

andrewF
DelayNoMore3

This module contains three PT2399 delay chips that feed into each other to create a loop.
The delay time for each stage is individually CV controlled and each stage has feedback controls to itself and the previous stage.

Each delay stage can be isolated and used on its own so the module can be used as a triple delay or a 3 stage delay.....kind of:
If you are familiar with the original DelayNoMore, you will know it is a crap delay but an excellent noise module, this one is designed to be much the same. The big differences being 3 delay stages instead of 2, CV control over all 3 stages instead of 1 and, as mentioned, the stages can be used individually.

To use, the input signal(s) can be patched into the 1-3 inputs and the three outputs can ll be used to get different signals. The 2nd row of inputs use the jack switches to forward the output of each stage to the input of the next, so if you wish to use the delays individually, use these inputs to break the loop.

assembled = USD240

andrewF
Dispersion Delay

This module is based on ideas suggested by Lucas Abela.

It is three vactrol based bandpass filters in parallel, each filter is fed into a voltage controlled delay stage. The outputs are available individually or there is an OUT ALL where all 3 signals are mixed.

Me being me designed the delays to go into stutter/zipper/breakdown territory to create the usual noise I love. If desired the delays can be built to remain in their normal operating regions.

Assembled = USD260

If you don't know who Lucas is, check out (gore warning!)

He is about to start a USA tour, well worth checking out a show
natureclubcassettes
love the dog at the end of each of the videos!!
sko87pro
andrewF wrote:

...a VCF with a 'filter exciter' section to allow a wide variety of acoustic, semi-acoustic and not-acoustic-at-all sounds. In a sense it takes the concept of pinging the LPG or ringing a VCF one step (or 2) further.

I'm really interested in this module, I'd like to hear more demos of this gadget. Would love to hear how acoustic and melodic it can be. Is there a #2 demo by chance?
bitSmasher
Very curious about the Justice Yeldham collabs
mmpingo
andrewF wrote:
I tend to only announce new modules in the DIY forum, but have been reminded that I should mention them here too

Kudos to you! DIY modules but also DIY and assembled modules makers are somehow often overlooked.
lud
All of the 2019 modules look and sound stunning - brilliant work NLC!
BananaPlug
sko87pro wrote:
I'm really interested in this module, I'd like to hear more demos of this gadget. Would love to hear how acoustic and melodic it can be. Is there a #2 demo by chance?

I feel that way about a lot of Andrew's modules & demos. Great ideas and glimpses of sounds I can see myself using but I usually chicken out. His preamp / envelope follower has been a perfect fit for my application but a different module combined tiny smooth knobs with very stiff pots. It might be great but I won't know until I hunt down looser pots. Today I'm very tempted by the Bi-di Choppers. Might have to try it.
coolshirtdotjpg
I have become a DIY SMD wimp in recent years or I'd own all of Andrew's filters. Weirdest stuff out there.
sko87pro
BananaPlug wrote:
I feel that way about a lot of Andrew's modules & demos. Great ideas and glimpses of sounds I can see myself using but I usually chicken out.
...a different module combined tiny smooth knobs with very stiff pots

Yes! I’d love to hear the musical potential from someone who can patch it with other modules and make it sing. The ICB-VCO has this very tantalising description; who can show if off? Where’s ben_hex when you need him?!

The knob problem and stiff pots, was that the same I Can’t Believe VCO?
andrewF
sko87pro wrote:
andrewF wrote:

...a VCF with a 'filter exciter' section to allow a wide variety of acoustic, semi-acoustic and not-acoustic-at-all sounds. In a sense it takes the concept of pinging the LPG or ringing a VCF one step (or 2) further.

I'm useless at melodic, hopefully n0rd will get something together.
This is feeding the ICBINAVCO short sharp envelopes from a Sly Grogan:

andrewF
bitSmasher wrote:
Very curious about the Justice Yeldham collabs

Lucas performed with cellF at ARS Electronica back in 2017. The we all went out for dinner, with families as well. When he next came to Perth, we met up and he told me some of his fx pedal ideas. So we decided to develop them, eurorack versions for me, stompbox versions for him (coming soon) w00t
sko87pro
andrewF wrote:
hopefully n0rd will get something together.
This is feeding the ICBINAVCO short sharp envelopes from a Sly Grogan

Thank you - it does sound good, especially the bass sounds towards the end which sound like a slack timpani membrane being hit. It will be interesting with double struck envelopes, to hear how it resonates and decays.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3