MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

A video about Noisebug
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author A video about Noisebug
underthebigtree
I was able to visit Noisebug in Pomona, CA for the first time this week. It's an amazing store filled with loads of esoteric synths to drool over, including Buchla and 5U stuff. I was so glad I made the drive out there.

I took the opportunity to interview Blake, the manager, about some of his favorite gear there. Great guy and extremely knowledgable.

Synth Con Meo
Cool, I just started watching the video. I actually talked to Blake earlier today to get a Pre-sale going on the Dove Audio WTF Oscillator in MU format. Also ordered a few other modules.
BTG
Blake is awesome. Love working with them, just wish they carried more stuff (like intellijel and mutable)
JohnLRice
Cool, nice interview and tour! thumbs up Unfortunately it reminded of of about $10k to $20k worth of gear that I would LOVE to have! d'oh! Dead Banana I'd better get off the internet now and go into my studio to dissipate all of this G.A.S. build up! hihi
Thorsday
A Stealth Waldorf Sledge looks so inviting.
radin
Thanks for the great video. I just recently discovered noisebug and i'm hoping to make my way there in the coming months.
Rex Coil 7
In that vid, at about 19:00 minutes when they begin discussing the Buchla system ... one of the sections (modules?) of that system on the lower right looks similar to a CD sitting on a module panel. What is that?
Rex Coil 7
Thorsday wrote:
A Stealth Waldorf Sledge looks so inviting.
One of our 5U subforum members bought one ... and very much disliked it. He was deeply disenchanted with numerous firmware problems as well as a somewhat cheap feel to the controls.

One thing about the black one that is unique and different from the yellow one is the black one uses a full blown FATAR TP-9S keybed if I correctly recall. In fact for a while the black one was being sold for $100.00 more than the yellow one, pointing at the higher quality keybed as one of the reasons.

I had very positive feelings about purchasing the black one, everything about it appeals to me. It's essentially a player's synth, what with the knob-per-function design (mostly so, at least), as well as having a wavetable oscillator that happens to be loaded up with one of the more well known PPG wavetables. I'm also drawn towards virtual analogue circuits. So you put the whole works together ... FATAR keybed, 5 octaves, knob per functions, VA architecture, a nice spread between knobs, one of the VCOs having a PPG wavetable set, and the sub-$1k pricetag ... it all becomes highly appealing.

Until the firmware creepy crawlies ruin the rig and shit in the punchbowl at the otherwise near perfect party.

sad banana
Revok
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
In that vid, at about 19:00 minutes when they begin discussing the Buchla system ... one of the sections (modules?) of that system on the lower right looks similar to a CD sitting on a module panel. What is that?

Rex Coil 7

Holy Cats! That is some seriously left handed/genius stuff going on!

Here's some more!!

This Buchla stuff really seems like my kinda gadgets. I'm already just short of $10k/6 years into MU/Euro as of this date/time, but had I known of the power and capability of Buchla designs I may have elected to go that way with my money rather than the direction I chose to go. I have heard the Buchla gear is quite costly, but I believe I can understand why that would be!

(I'm no longer monitoring this thread)

Wow!
Patch_CV_Film
Very Cool! Always wanted to visit!
Thorzie
Gorgeous shop. Will be taking a trip soon. thumbs up thumbs up
gringostar
Made a trip out there a few months ago. Sadly they don't carry modules I'm looking for but I picked up Patch & Tweak when I visited.

There was also a modular performance get together that I sadly wasn't able to make last weekend.
diller
I've purchased several things from Noisebug online. I hadn't realized the storefront was so small! It's online presence made me think they would be a bit bigger. Anyway I'm glad Blake was so modest and honest in his description of the shop. "It's a great collection" is a good way to describe the storefront.

2 things I did not like. Blake made it very clear that Elby makes licensed Serge modules and does not clone. He even says they are not the dirty "C word". Directly after this, he shows an Elby Wasp clone. d'oh! C'mon dude. They make clones! It's what they do.

I also did not like how Blake described ACL is 'akin' to Cwejman. You have no Cwejman on the floor to back up your statement and every Cwejman user knows that is not a true statement.
sduck
You might want to learn about the history of Elby and CGS and Serge. The word clone can be used in different ways, both positive and negative, but Elby's Serge connection is legit. Don't know about the wasp thing, that may be a separate thing.
Muff McMuff
Cool video and i didn't know about your channel. Double happiness.
diller
sduck wrote:
You might want to learn about the history of Elby and CGS and Serge. The word clone can be used in different ways, both positive and negative, but Elby's Serge connection is legit. Don't know about the wasp thing, that may be a separate thing.

Oh I know that the Serge designs are licensed. Other companies also license these designs as well. I just found it interesting that he went out of his way to say Elby doesn't make clones when showing the Elby Pixie which is a Wasp clone.

http://www.elby-designs.com/contents/en-us/d11.html
sduck
He may have misspoke about that one.
MindMachine
diller wrote:
I've purchased several things from Noisebug online. I hadn't realized the storefront was so small! It's online presence made me think they would be a bit bigger.

Unless it has shrunk lately (I haven't been there in a couple of years) it is actually very large for an electronic music equipment store. There is also an upstairs that is not used for retail. It has evolved over the years. They used to have a huge couch and tables in the middle of the front room when they first started. No such empty space now.

I need to get over there. Chuck is one of the best down to Earth guys I've had the acquaintance of.
radin
The store is large and the space is well set-up with stations to sample their gear. The upstairs is in use and lined with modular gear that you won't find elsewhere.

After seeing the video I made a special trip when I was visiting LA a couple weeks ago. Store is great but Pamono is a very odd place. Basically a ghost town with an oddball electronics shop. They also have like 3 In N' Outs. Not much else. If you are in the LA area it is worth the trip. Go grab some 5U and a cheeseburger. Nice people too.
tenembre
There's a decent bar a few doors down that had a good tap selection. Or at least there was a few years ago. I saw Gwar a few blocks away at the Glasshouse.
LNerell
[quote="MindMachine"]
diller wrote:

Unless it has shrunk lately (I haven't been there in a couple of years) it is actually very large for an electronic music equipment store.

It hasn't shrunk, it's actually gotten bigger. They took over the old frame shop that use to be next door. That store is now the display, try out new gear room where the video was shot. The old shop next door is for stock, shipping and for live concerts which was where myself and Robert Rich performed a week ago.
MindMachine
^ Hey Loren!! It's been a while. I used to hang there all of the time with you when it first opened (Dave - long blond hair... seen you mixing at the Redkat gig Peter did). Anyway - hope all is good and what not. Digging your releases as usual.
monads
It's been awhile since I've been there and didn't know they took over the frame shop! There's a few a good bars in the area too like Homage Brewing and an arcade bar Paradox Arcade +.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1