MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Eurorack Sequencing with VCF & VCA Gates
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Eurorack Sequencing with VCF & VCA Gates
Steverido
I wonder if anyone can help!

I am sequencing with Rebel Technology's Logoi or Stochiea.

Clock is coming from Ableton via Malekko Sync Module.

I would like to send Gates to my VCF & VCA from the Beatstep Pro.

Not sure how I can achieve this.

Could it be Clock out of Malekko Sync to BSP Clock In & then back out of Clock Out of BSP into either Logoi or Stochiea?

Not sure how to send the Gates to the VCF & VCA though.
authorless
You probably want to send the gate to an envelope or two instead of straight into the VCF and VCA. You can send it straight to the VCA, straight into the VCF is going to be super boring. You just send the gate straight to where ever you want it. Mult it if you need to send it to multiple locations.
kwaidan
Send MIDI thru from the Malekko output to the MDI in on the Beatstep Pro. If you have the DIN SYNC module, you could send time to the BSP with it.

As for gate, I believe there is a way to setup the BSP to act as a MIDI/CV converter. Then you would have to use the MIDI thru. I assume you would have to configure one of the CV/GATE sequencers to work this way with the software program. I haven’t tried it.

You could also get a MIDI splitter box.
Steverido
authorless wrote:
You probably want to send the gate to an envelope or two instead of straight into the VCF and VCA. You can send it straight to the VCA, straight into the VCF is going to be super boring. You just send the gate straight to where ever you want it. Mult it if you need to send it to multiple locations.

I probably didn't explain very well. I meant gate to envelopes with CV going to the VCF & VCA.

Still not sure from the comments how to do this though.
Steverido
kwaidan wrote:
Send MIDI thru from the Malekko output to the MDI in on the Beatstep Pro. If you have the DIN SYNC module, you could send time to the BSP with it.

As for gate, I believe there is a way to setup the BSP to act as a MIDI/CV converter. Then you would have to use the MIDI thru. I assume you would have to configure one of the CV/GATE sequencers to work this way with the software program. I haven’t tried it.

Not sure how to achieve this when I want to use sequencing from the Rebel Technology modules.

Does the gate not have to match the sequence?

Previously I have used midi from Ableton with Silentway on the channel.

I have not patched or sequenced from Eurorack or the BSP before.

Perhaps it is my lack of understanding. I don’t understand how patching works yet.
authorless
I am not exactly sure what you are trying to accomplish. For me to help you I would need a lot more info. You only want to control one voice?
kwaidan
Steverido wrote:
kwaidan wrote:

Not sure how to achieve this when I want to use sequencing from the Rebel Technology modules.

Does the gate not have to match the sequence?

Previously I have used midi from Ableton with Silentway on the channel.

I have not patched or sequenced from Eurorack or the BSP before.

Perhaps it is my lack of understanding. I don’t understand how patching works yet.

First, you need to decide what you will us for the master clock. Then you need to slave the rest of your clocking modules to it. If you want to control everything through Ableton, then you can send MIDI out to the Malekko and BSP.

Alternately, you can use the BSP as the master clock.

If you are going to mix samples or other synths with Eurorack, then it is probably best to use Ableton as the masterclock. (While you can slave Ableton to an outside clock, things can get a little tricky.) Send Ableton MIDI out to the Malekko and send its out to BSP, or send Ableton MIDI out to the BSP and send its output to the Malekko. Afterward, you can send clock out to the Reb Tech modules. These modules can vary the beat by slowing it down, speeding it up, etc.

If you do not want to use Ableton, then you could use BSP as the master clock and send its output to the Malekko and the Reb Tech modules.

Ableton sends clockout by default. You may have to configure each MIDI port in the options menu to sync up everything correctly.

To set up the BSP in master or slave mode, use the controls located in the top left corner of the unit.

At first, synching everything is a little tricky, but once you play around with everything, it gets easier.

I wrote this quick, so I may have missed something.

As for you other questions about envelopes and gating, like Authorless, I am confused. However, if you use Ableton or BSP as your master clock, you could use the output from one of the Reb Tech modules to vary the beat, add some swing, etc.
Steverido
Understood. I will try and explain it clearer and upload image.

Uploaded a JP showing my patch Is this patch correct?

First of all, I want to use Ableton as the master clock unless there is an easier way. How do I sync Eurorack with Ableton?

I only want to record from Plaits into Ableton. I don't want to send midi sequencing from Ableton.

I want to use the Rebel Technology modules to sequence Plaits. I might use the BSP later.

How do I send gates to the VCF & VCA I guess is my fundamental question?

Could I use the mult from the trigger of the sequencer to go to Plaits and the gate inputs of the ADSR's?

How the envelope gate is triggered is where I struggle to understand. And how it relates to the sequencer.

Added BSP inputs just in case anyone had advice.

Hope this explains things better.
kwaidan
As far as I can tell, the patch looks correct. I do not have those particular modules, so I am not 100%.

The trigger output from the Reb Tech Stoicheia should be able to trigger the FCUK envelope.

It’s okay to mult a trigger, gate, or clock output.

I am not sure if the Reb Tech module can output a gate signal, but it can output a trigger. You’ll have to play around with it or read the manual.

As for your question about the sequencer, I am a little confused. When you send clock CV to the Stoicheia, it will take the steady rhythm and chop it up into a pattern based on Euclidian geometry; therefore, it is like a rhythm generator.

If you want to send notes to Plaits, then you will 1) need to buy an add-on module for the Malekko which will allow you to send gate and CV from Ableton, or 2) use one of the sequencers on the BSP. To do the second task, send MIDI THRU from the Malekko to MIDI in on the BSP.
kwaidan
IMPORTANT: While Malekko makes a DIN SYNC add-on module to send clock to other equipment like the BeatStep, you do not need it to send or receive clock between your Sync module and BSP.

Instead, you can buy a Y splitter cable: 1/8” male TSS to two 1/8 female TS. Hosa makes one: Hosa YMM-261 Stereo Breakout 1/8" Male to Dual 1/8" TS Female Cable.

One female socket sends or receives clock and the other sends or receives stop/start. From memory, tip is clock and ring is stop/start.

If you want to slave it to your Eurorack, plug Y splitter cable into the sync in jack on the BSP. If you want the BSP to be the master clock, plug it into the sync out jack.

Steverido
kwaidan wrote:
As far as I can tell, the patch looks correct. I do not have those particular modules, so I am not 100%.

The trigger output from the Reb Tech Stoicheia should be able to trigger the FCUK envelope.

I am not sure if the Reb Tech module can output a gate signal, but it can output a trigger. You’ll have to play around with it or read the manual.

As for your question about the sequencer, I am a little confused. When you send clock CV to the Stoicheia, it will take the steady rhythm and chop it up into a pattern based on Euclidian geometry; therefore, it is like a rhythm generator.

If you want to send notes to Plaits, then you will 1) need to buy an add-on module for the Malekko which will allow you to send gate and CV from Ableton, or 2) use one of the sequencers on the BSP. To do the second task, send MIDI THRU from the Malekko to MIDI in on the BSP.

The Stoicheia is certainly triggering Plaits. Probably requires a quantizer. I have a Disting 4 that can do that.

I will use BSP to sequence at some point. I think that the Rebel Technology modules are much more fun though.
Steverido
kwaidan wrote:
IMPORTANT: While Malekko makes a DIN SYNC add-on module to send clock to other equipment like the BeatStep, you do not need it to send or receive clock between your Sync module and BSP.

Instead, you can buy a Y splitter cable: 1/8” male TSS to two 1/8 female TS. Hosa makes one: Hosa YMM-261 Stereo Breakout 1/8" Male to Dual 1/8" TS Female Cable.

One female socket sends or receives clock and the other sends or receives stop/start. From memory, tip is clock and ring is stop/start.

If you want to slave it to your Eurorack, plug Y splitter cable into the sync in jack on the BSP. If you want the BSP to be the master clock, plug it into the sync out jack.

That is a useful tip thanks.
authorless
Steverido wrote:
kwaidan wrote:

The Stoicheia is certainly triggering Plaits. Probably requires a quantizer. I have a Disting 4 that can do that.

I will use BSP to sequence at some point. I think that the Rebel Technology modules are much more fun though.

Nope, a quantizer will just take a voltage input and constrain it to a (more than likely) western scale in the 1v/oct standard (each semitone is 1/12 of a volt). A quantizer is not a sequencer.

Stoicheia out to clock in on the BSP. BSP for pitch CVs.
Steverido
authorless wrote:
Steverido wrote:
kwaidan wrote:

Nope, a quantizer will just take a voltage input and constrain it to a (more than likely) western scale in the 1v/oct standard (each semitone is 1/12 of a volt). A quantizer is not a sequencer.

OK, interesting.

Do I need to change any settings on the BSP?
kwaidan
Steverido wrote:
authorless wrote:
Steverido wrote:
kwaidan wrote:

OK, interesting.

The Rebel T Logoi can be used to modify the clock out from Ableton via the Malekko module. It can slow down the beat, speed it up, or add swing.

The Rebel T S module can be used to create interesting beat patterns.

Neither module sends pitch CV, so no quantizer is needed.

If you want to send Pitch CV to Plaits from Ableton, you need to buy a PITCH CV/GATE module for the Malekko Sync; otherwise, use one of the sequencers on the Beatstep Pro.

If you use the BSP, slave it to the Malekko using MIDI THROUGH to BSP MIDI IN. You may have to setup the MIDI OUT channel on the Malekko or the MIDI IN channel on the BSP. Both probably default to MIDI 1 or ALL but consult the manuals.

Once you gat everything in sync, send a melody to Plaits using CV Pitch and GATE Out from the BSP. If that works, you can disconnect the GATE out from the BSP and use trigger out from the Reb Tech S to create interesting patterns.

At first, keep it simple. Once you play around with things, it gets easier to create more complex patterns. Then you can do things like clock the BSP from the RT L.
Steverido
kwaidan wrote:
Steverido wrote:
authorless wrote:
Steverido wrote:
kwaidan wrote:

OK, interesting.

The Rebel T Logoi can be used to modify the clock out from Ableton via the Malekko module. It can slow down the beat, speed it up, or add swing.

The Rebel T S module can be used to create interesting beat patterns.

Neither module sends pitch CV, so no quantizer is needed.

If you want to send Pitch CV to Plaits from Ableton, you need to buy a PITCH CV/GATE module for the Malekko Sync; otherwise, use one of the sequencers on the Beatstep Pro.

If you use the BSP, slave it to the Malekko using MIDI THROUGH to BSP MIDI IN. You may have to setup the MIDI OUT channel on the Malekko or the MIDI IN channel on the BSP. Both probably default to MIDI 1 or ALL but consult the manuals.

Once you gat everything in sync, send a melody to Plaits using CV Pitch and GATE Out from the BSP. If that works, you can disconnect the GATE out from the BSP and use trigger out from the Reb Tech S to create interesting patterns.

At first, keep it simple. Once you play around with things, it gets easier to create more complex patterns. Then you can do things like clock the BSP from the RT L.

The Malekko sync does stop/start Ableton.

I will try slaving the BSP as you have suggested.

Thanks for your help.
Steverido
Stoicheia out to clock in on the BSP. BSP for pitch CVs.[/quote]

I have tried taking the Stoicheia out to the Clock in of BSP and Pitch to Plaits V/OCT and Gate to Envelopes split through a mult to VCF & VCA but nothing happening.

I have the Sequencer muted and still no sound.

Any ideas? very frustrating
Steverido
[quote="kwaidan"][quote="Steverido"][quote="authorless"]
Steverido wrote:
kwaidan wrote:

I have bought the CV/Gate expander from Malekko and hooked up. I am scratching my head on how to use it with the Stoichiea.

How do I use the Stoichiea triggers with the Expander to send out CV/Gate to Plaits?

I want to use this rather than the BSP.

My purpose is to only use Ableton to record audio in.
mookmoof
I think you need to first understand the basics of how a sequencer interacts with other modules. Generally speaking, when you select a step on a sequencer like the BSPro (by pushing the one of the 16 step buttons - the step will light up when you do this) and then press play, anytime the sequence passes that lit button it will send a gate/trigger out. If you select all 16 buttons it will send 16 gates and then repeat. These gates should go to an envelope. On the BSP there is also a knob that corresponds to each button and the position of this knob determines the cv output of the BSP. This connects to the 1v/oct in on your oscillator, and determines the pitch. The sound from your oscillator goes to the VCA, as does the envelope. When the gate triggers the envelope, the envelope "opens" the VCA, allowing sound through. This sound you will send through your interface and record the audio in Ableton. I WOULD RECOMMEND YOU FIRST ACCOMPLISH CONTROLLING YOUR PLAITS, ENVELOPE, AND VCA WITH THE BSP WITHOUT THE STOICHEIA UNTIL YOU ARE ABLE TO HEAR/RECORD A PATTERN/MELODY WITH IT. Once you have that, integrating the Stoicheia will be as simple as replacing the gates from the BSP with gates from the Stoicheia. You need to realize that depending on the rhythm of the Stoicheia, different knobs on the BSP will be "active" based on that rhythm. The point here is that the Stoicheia only produces the gate !/2 of the equation and you will need the BSP working simultaneously to produce the cv for the melody.
Rex Coil 7
Do you have an audio interface on your computer system that sends MIDI Output?

Or are you using USB output from your computer?

In either case I think if you add a MIDI to CV converter to your computer system your entire world will become much easier to use.

If you do not have a MIDI output (y'know, 5 pin DIN connectors where MIDI comes out) there are very nice USB to CV converters made.

A company called "Kenton" makes very nice converters. They make them in MIDI-to-CV as well as USB-to-CV. These converters provide you with GATE OUT jacks, they are also equipped to divide or multiply the clock rates by doing a few VERY simple button pushes. Dividing the clock rate will cut the clock rate into "slower" rates in perfect timing with the tempo. Multiplying the clock rate will make the clock "faster" in perfect tempo with Ableton.

If you have a clock tempo of (let's say) 120 beats per minute, multiplying that by 2 makes the clock rate 240 beats per minute. Dividing the clock rate by 2 makes the clock rate 60 beats per minute.

This feature is very helpful in certain situations. I used very (VERY) crude and over simplified examples to demonstrate the process. I'm sure you get the idea though.

So anyhow, look into obtaining one of the better MIDI-to-CV converters (or USB-to-CV converters if that's better for you). They provide GATE OUTS that you use to clock your entire modular system, as well as any other devices that require GATE INPUT to sync up to, such as the Beatstep Pro.

Kenton Electronics MIDI-to-CV (or USB-to-CV) converters are very popular and easily purchased (not costly).

There is also the very popular "CV.OCD" MIDI-to-CV converter ... here is a link ...

LINK = https://www.tindie.com/products/hotchk155/cvocd-a-super-flexible-midi- to-cv-box/

Note that the CV.OCD has many GATE outputs, however if I am not mistaken it requires a MIDI input signal to convert to CV and GATE. If you do not already have MIDI output on your computer system then you would need that first before you can use a MIDI-to-CV converter. If you use a USB-to-CV converter (such as the one made by Kenton) then you do not require a MIDI output from your computer to make that work, you simply connect the USB-to-CV converter to one of your computer's USB outputs.

If I have tread backwards over information you are already aware of, please forgive me, I'm simply attempting to help.

cookie?!?
Steverido
mookmoof wrote:
I think you need to first understand the basics of how a sequencer interacts with other modules. Generally speaking, when you select a step on a sequencer like the BSPro (by pushing the one of the 16 step buttons - the step will light up when you do this) and then press play, anytime the sequence passes that lit button it will send a gate/trigger out. If you select all 16 buttons it will send 16 gates and then repeat. These gates should go to an envelope. On the BSP there is also a knob that corresponds to each button and the position of this knob determines the cv output of the BSP. This connects to the 1v/oct in on your oscillator, and determines the pitch. The sound from your oscillator goes to the VCA, as does the envelope. When the gate triggers the envelope, the envelope "opens" the VCA, allowing sound through. This sound you will send through your interface and record the audio in Ableton. I WOULD RECOMMEND YOU FIRST ACCOMPLISH CONTROLLING YOUR PLAITS, ENVELOPE, AND VCA WITH THE BSP WITHOUT THE STOICHEIA UNTIL YOU ARE ABLE TO HEAR/RECORD A PATTERN/MELODY WITH IT. Once you have that, integrating the Stoicheia will be as simple as replacing the gates from the BSP with gates from the Stoicheia. You need to realize that depending on the rhythm of the Stoicheia, different knobs on the BSP will be "active" based on that rhythm. The point here is that the Stoicheia only produces the gate !/2 of the equation and you will need the BSP working simultaneously to produce the cv for the melody.

Thanks for your great explanation mookmoof.

I will do as you have suggested.

I only wanted to use the BSP to trigger my Vermona DRM1.

I wanted to use my Eurorack modules to control plaits.

Record only into Ableton from the Eurorack and DRM1.

Apart from Ableton being my master clock, I don't want to use Ableton for anything else.

If I am patching a trigger to Plaits, why and how would I use V/OCT? Or would I?

I think where I struggle is knowing when to use the different inputs. Triggers Vs V/OCT. My lack of understanding the use of. Understand what they do.

Modules that I have:

Mutable Instruments Plaits
Mutable Instruments Peaks
ES Disting MK4
Bastl Cinammon X3
FC System X Envelope X3
Pico Mult X2
ALM Tangle Quartet
Make Noise Math
Malekko Sync
Malekko CV/Gate Expander
RT Logoi
RT Stoichiea
2Hp Arp

Thanks
Steverido
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Do you have an audio interface on your computer system that sends MIDI Output?

Or are you using USB output from your computer?

In either case I think if you add a MIDI to CV converter to your computer system your entire world will become much easier to use.

If you do not have a MIDI output (y'know, 5 pin DIN connectors where MIDI comes out) there are very nice USB to CV converters made.

A company called "Kenton" makes very nice converters. They make them in MIDI-to-CV as well as USB-to-CV. These converters provide you with GATE OUT jacks, they are also equipped to divide or multiply the clock rates by doing a few VERY simple button pushes. Dividing the clock rate will cut the clock rate into "slower" rates in perfect timing with the tempo. Multiplying the clock rate will make the clock "faster" in perfect tempo with Ableton.

If you have a clock tempo of (let's say) 120 beats per minute, multiplying that by 2 makes the clock rate 240 beats per minute. Dividing the clock rate by 2 makes the clock rate 60 beats per minute.

This feature is very helpful in certain situations. I used very (VERY) crude and over simplified examples to demonstrate the process. I'm sure you get the idea though.

So anyhow, look into obtaining one of the better MIDI-to-CV converters (or USB-to-CV converters if that's better for you). They provide GATE OUTS that you use to clock your entire modular system, as well as any other devices that require GATE INPUT to sync up to, such as the Beatstep Pro.

Kenton Electronics MIDI-to-CV (or USB-to-CV) converters are very popular and easily purchased (not costly).

There is also the very popular "CV.OCD" MIDI-to-CV converter ... here is a link ...

LINK = https://www.tindie.com/products/hotchk155/cvocd-a-super-flexible-midi- to-cv-box/

Note that the CV.OCD has many GATE outputs, however if I am not mistaken it requires a MIDI input signal to convert to CV and GATE. If you do not already have MIDI output on your computer system then you would need that first before you can use a MIDI-to-CV converter. If you use a USB-to-CV converter (such as the one made by Kenton) then you do not require a MIDI output from your computer to make that work, you simply connect the USB-to-CV converter to one of your computer's USB outputs.

If I have tread backwards over information you are already aware of, please forgive me, I'm simply attempting to help.

cookie?!?

I have probably explained my requirements in the last post after yours. I don't want to use midi at all. Just modules.

Thanks for reaching out and am happy to learn from everyone.
Rex Coil 7
Steverido wrote:
I have probably explained my requirements in the last post after yours. I don't want to use midi at all. Just modules.

I think you may be missing the point. If you want to use Ableton as the master clock, it sends that out as MIDI. That MIDI clock signal must be converted to an analog gate for your modular stuff to sync up to it. You'd not be "using MIDI" for anything with a USB-to-CV converter.

But you do what you want to do. I just think you're running all the way around the block to go to your next door neighbor's house with the way you're trying to go about sync'ing up your outboard analogue gear to your computer. A MIDI-to-CV unit would tackle that so easily. If you don't have (or want) any MIDI outs in your computer's interface, then just use a USB-to-CV converter. It's still MIDI, but it's not using a 5 pin DIN connector.

So a single USB cable from the computer to the converter, then regular 3.5mm patch cables out of the converter to send the GATE signals to all of your analogue gear.

The converter will also have 1v/oct outputs as well. To answer your question about what "volt/oct" is, 1 volt per octave is what is needed to send PITCH (notes) information to some thing. GATE is the signal that tells something that A NOTE has been triggered, 1v/oct tells something WHICH NOTE has been triggered.

I'm serious, if you want to use Ableton as your master clock, a USB-to-CV converter is the simplest, easiest, least complex, least costly method of making that happen. The converter will send the GATE signals from Ableton that EVERYTHING in your rig needs to know what to sync to.

It's FAR simpler.

But hey, it's your money!

(I'm not monitoring this thread)

thumbs up
Steverido
[quote="Rex Coil 7"]
Steverido wrote:

I think you may be missing the point. If you want to use Ableton as the master clock, it sends that out as MIDI. That MIDI clock signal must be converted to an analog gate for your modular stuff to sync up to it. You'd not be "using MIDI" for anything with a USB-to-CV converter.

But you do what you want to do. I just think you're running all the way around the block to go to your next door neighbor's house with the way you're trying to go about sync'ing up your outboard analogue gear to your computer. A MIDI-to-CV unit would tackle that so easily. If you don't have (or want) any MIDI outs in your computer's interface, then just use a USB-to-CV converter. It's still MIDI, but it's not using a 5 pin DIN connector.

So a single USB cable from the computer to the converter, then regular 3.5mm patch cables out of the converter to send the GATE signals to all of your analogue gear.

The converter will also have 1v/oct outputs as well. To answer your question about what "volt/oct" is, 1 volt per octave is what is needed to send PITCH (notes) information to some thing. GATE is the signal that tells something that A NOTE has been triggered, 1v/oct tells something WHICH NOTE has been triggered.

I'm serious, if you want to use Ableton as your master clock, a USB-to-CV converter is the simplest, easiest, least complex, least costly method of making that happen. The converter will send the GATE signals from Ableton that EVERYTHING in your rig needs to know what to sync to.

It's FAR simpler.

But hey, it's your money!

(I'm not monitoring this thread)

thumbs up[/quote

Am I not already sending clock signal by midi with the Malekko Sync?

When you mention Midi I hear midi note sequencing which is what I am avoiding. I am hopeless at it. Hence wanting to use modules like RT Stochiea.

Am I missing something?
Rex Coil 7
Yea, you're missing the other half. MIDI notes are only half of what you need. You need gate signal for timing.

Something I don't understand is what are you using Ableton for? Answer me this .... are you using Ableton to make any sounds? Any at all?

Let's start with that.

cool
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2