MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Patch Tips: Moddemix for Waveshaping and/or Static Voltages
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Patch Tips: Moddemix for Waveshaping and/or Static Voltages
luketeaford
While practicing on the shared system, I discovered I needed some static voltages and had already used up the conventional sources you might consider (Maths, Pressure Points, Rene). So I patched it with Moddemix:

Static Voltages
Patch CH1 output to its signal input. Open the combo knob for positive voltage from CH 1 output.

Patch CH2 output to its signal input. Patch CH1 output to CH 2 carrier input. Open the combo knob for negative voltage from CH2 output.

Waveshaping
Start with static voltages patch above.

Patch signal to be folded into CH1 carrier input.

Use the SUM from moddemix for second harmonic, "batman ears", waveshaping with a sine/triangle or degrees of spike waveform with a saw or square

Use the CH2 output for pulse width modulation if you've patched a low harmonic signal in (It just kinda buzzes on square waves and controls amplitude)

Panel controls are expressive because the shape depends on the carrier amplitude.

Of course you could go even further with this setting up voltage mirrors which gives you a wet/dry balance. You can mix these signals together in all kinds of ways-- mixing the incoming signal back in through AUX is one way, using Maths, routing either output through a VCA, routing either carrier input through a VCA, any combination, etc. The best way to learn this is by experimentation, I think.
starthief
Cool smile I never thought to use it this way.
cptnal
Interesting... hmmm.....

Don't have a Moddemix, but I do have a Blinds. From your notes I'm guessing Moddemix still sums if you patch the individual outputs, but I reckon I could get around that by multing Blinds' 1 & 2 outs to 3 & 4's ins. In any case, much wiggling awaits. thumbs up

Quick edit: Yeah, it works, but you only need to mult the output of channel 2 into 3 (or monitor it directly). Mixing it with an inverted copy of the original signal is sweeet. w00t
luketeaford
cptnal wrote:
Interesting... hmmm.....

Don't have a Moddemix, but I do have a Blinds. From your notes I'm guessing Moddemix still sums if you patch the individual outputs, but I reckon I could get around that by multing Blinds' 1 & 2 outs to 3 & 4's ins. In any case, much wiggling awaits. thumbs up

Great! I would expect it to work with any bipolar VCA-- in fact, it might be more dynamic with blinds since moddemix shuts off near zero there's a range where it's just silent or not effective.
starthief
Do you have a V2 ModDemix? I have the old-school one and this doesn't work as described for static voltages. I seem to remember the normalling is different, so you can patch a signal into the carrier input and get something on the output without a modulator signal.

It does work for waveshaping, though.
luketeaford
starthief wrote:
Do you have a V2 ModDemix? I have the old-school one and this doesn't work as described for static voltages. I seem to remember the normalling is different, so you can patch a signal into the carrier input and get something on the output without a modulator signal.

It does work for waveshaping, though.

Yeah, I have the 2014 one: http://www.makenoisemusic.com/content/manuals/modDemixMANUAL.pdf

The static voltages as far as I can tell come from the normalization that the combo pot attenuates.

I was just complaining about how the DPO/STO/0-Coast waveshaping circuits are attached to the oscs, but to be fair you can do such a lot without a separate module for that...
musicalfungus
luketeaford

Thanks for the patch details Luke! I saw this on your Instagram and was curious how you achieved it!
The Junglechrist
Yes !
hermbot
Excellent tip, thanks for sharing.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1