MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Velocity Patch
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Velocity Patch
SuspiciousMind
Hey guys,

Pretty basic stuff but idk how to patch it! seriously, i just don't get it

I got a sequencer with a velocity-out, which I want to send somewhere in the system (AMP?, EG?) so I can simply get different velocity values on each of the steps/notes. Where should I send it or what do I need??
hamildad
Connect your sequencer to the search function on this web forum.

set Velocity = searchCV.

press play.
andybizarre
SuspiciousMind wrote:
Hey guys,

Pretty basic stuff but idk how to patch it! seriously, i just don't get it

I got a sequencer with a velocity-out, which I want to send somewhere in the system (AMP?, EG?) so I can simply get different velocity values on each of the steps/notes. Where should I send it or what do I need??

Typically, the velocity out would modulate the amplitude of your EG with a VCA before passing to the main audio VCA. Or try to CV the decay amount of your VCF envelope.
R.U.Nuts
Just plug it anyhere and see what happens. It's just another CV output. Calling it velocity makes no sense IMHO unless you put in data by hammering on the sequencer's front panel w00t
blaythe.steuer
Tbh you can plug it in to any CV input and just...see what it does? Idk. I mean typically it would be used with some sort of dynamics but you could always get creative and mess around a bit with it.
R.U.Nuts
blaythe.steuer wrote:
Tbh you can plug it in to any CV input and just...see what it does? Idk. I mean typically it would be used with some sort of dynamics but you could always get creative and mess around a bit with it.

Yeah, I just wanted to point out that you don't have to use that sequencer channel for anything particular just because it has "velocity" written on it. I think this is misleading. IMHO it makes only sense to call a CV output "velocity" If it actually is an output that converts the intensity of a gesture (like Pressung down a key on a keyboard or hammering on the front panel of a sequencer w00t ) into a Voltage.
Navs
Think of velocity as a CV that modifies your CV. Then, for example, you can add it to, or use it to multiply, your main CV (envelope etc.)

For volume, I find simple addition (stick the velocity CV and envelope in a mixer before sending to your filter or VCA) easier than multiplication. Mixing 'always works', you always hear something. Whereas with multiplication - controlling the amplitude of your envelope with another VCA first - can lead to 'too much silence'. I hope that makes sense; try it ... or maybe you know this effect from hardware or soft-synths.

Basically the problem is if you play too softly and generate a velocity CC or CV of around zero, your envelope will effectively be muted. That's why I like to mix, setting the relative balance between the two signals so I always hear the changes. 'Velocity CVs' that are bipolar, i.e. are negative/can 'subtract' are good cos then you can make things quieter, rather than just louder from a base level.

edit: another tip: I like to send my velocity CV through a slew limiter to let it fade in or out, else I find the changes too abrupt.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1