MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

My new live rig
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars  
Author My new live rig
Steevio
[video]I haven't posted anything for a while, but here is a mellow improvisation on my new live rig. Have gigged out at Techno gigs with it in a slightly different form for the last 6 months, but this is the final 'flyable' version, all analogue apart from a Chimera.

https://youtu.be/6NRoRT3fHG0

JohnLRice
Steevio wrote:
[video]I haven't posted anything for a while, but here is a mellow improvisation on my new live rig. Have gigged out at Techno gigs with it in a slightly different form for the last 6 months, but this is the final 'flyable' version, all analogue apart from a Chimera.

Great setup and some awesome jams! SlayerBadger!
BailyDread
Steevio wrote:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NRoRT3fHG0&feature=youtu.be[/v ideo]

just excellent Dancing Star
Steevio
thanks guys..

by the way how do I get the video to show in my post, I tried everything
JohnLRice
Steevio wrote:
thanks guys..

by the way how do I get the video to show in my post, I tried everything
You almost had it right! cool You just need to delete the letter "s" from the "https" at the beginning of the URL and then wrap with the "[video][/video]" tags like you did.

Just a weird little anomaly on Muff's where YouTube embedding doesn't work for secure links.
Steevio
thanks mate!
Ypsi Kid
Amazing stuff as always Steevio! Very inspiring!
a100user
So nice to see the A155’s being used thumbs up
mackster
Sounds lovely - liking those AJH modules. Be good to hear that through a big rig!
Steevio
mackster wrote:
Sounds lovely - liking those AJH modules. Be good to hear that through a big rig!

You could on Feb 2nd at Village Underground London, I'm doing a big 6 hour jam with Mathew Jonson and Sebastian Mullaert as Circle of Live...

shameless promotion smile
Ypsi Kid
Hey Steevio,

I had a quick question for you if you don't mind about your precision adders and using intervals. When you are looking to mix together your pitch CV sources using a precision adder, I believe you can use offsets to change the root - so you can effectively turn one knob and have that cascade throughout the system so everything stays in musical synch. Are you just using a CV offset module that is patched into the precision adder to do this or is there several offset modules which each have a particular setting which you can then effectively switch on and off using the precision adder? Or at what point/stage does the offset live? I was just thinking about how you are using the Hinton SwitchMix like a precision adder and couldn't quite wrap my head around the offset/interval piece.

Hoping the above made somewhat sense - ha! And thanks again for sharing, you've been a massive inspiration to my current journey down the live set path!

Cheers.
mackster
“You could on Feb 2nd at Village Underground London, I'm doing a big 6 hour jam with Mathew Jonson and Sebastian Mullaert as Circle of Live... “

Hi I’d love to come along - Circle of Live is a superb concept.

Typically it’s the only weekend in months that I’m actually out of London...so I guess next time. Will you be doing another Pickle Factory?
Steevio
mackster wrote:

Typically it’s the only weekend in months that I’m actually out of London...so I guess next time. Will you be doing another Pickle Factory?

Hi mate yeah we're back at the Pickle Factory September 27th, and also we're playing Percolate weekender in Hackney Wick (Queens Yard) May 5th
Steevio
Ypsi Kid wrote:
Hey Steevio,

I had a quick question for you if you don't mind about your precision adders and using intervals. When you are looking to mix together your pitch CV sources using a precision adder, I believe you can use offsets to change the root - so you can effectively turn one knob and have that cascade throughout the system so everything stays in musical synch. Are you just using a CV offset module that is patched into the precision adder to do this or is there several offset modules which each have a particular setting which you can then effectively switch on and off using the precision adder? Or at what point/stage does the offset live? I was just thinking about how you are using the Hinton SwitchMix like a precision adder and couldn't quite wrap my head around the offset/interval piece.

Hoping the above made somewhat sense - ha! And thanks again for sharing, you've been a massive inspiration to my current journey down the live set path!

Cheers.

Ok so I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but I'll try to explain. The switchmix simply adds CVs very accurately, so if say you sent a different sequence of pitch CVs to each input, you can add them together in different ways and send them to different VCOs.
I'm just adding intervals together, so where C is zero, C plus a D# is a D#, or a D plus a D# is an F etc etc.. so say if you added 3 intervals together eg. D + D# + F you get an A#.
Now if these are running in sequences you get all sorts of combinations and complex melodies from just a few simple sequences, but obviously you have to chose wisely or you just get a chromatic cacophony. This is just experimentation and practice.
You can also use a quantizer after each sequencer and before the Switchmix or adder, set to just a few notes like a simple tritonic scale to make it easier to get good tunes. Things get more whacky when you dont use 12TET. I use just intonation, often very limited, like 3-limit just intonation.
If you want to transpose everything, you just need to send the transpose CV to one of the inputs then you can add it to everything if you want.
I have a permanent transpose input, with a 2HP TUNE quantizer and an offset generator so by dialling an offset into the 2HP I can transpose everything at the same time. So all the buttons will be engaged from that input in the matrix. If I want 'un tranpose' any individual output, I can just mute that channel and it will revert to low C. I did this in the video briefly to take the sequence out of one of the AJH VCOs for effect.
Bro its a complex issue, I hope that makes sense.
Ypsi Kid
Steevio wrote:

Ok so I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but I'll try to explain. The switchmix simply adds CVs very accurately, so if say you sent a different sequence of pitch CVs to each input, you can add them together in different ways and send them to different VCOs.
I'm just adding intervals together, so where C is zero, C plus a D# is a D#, or a D plus a D# is an F etc etc.. so say if you added 3 intervals together eg. D + D# + F you get an A#.
Now if these are running in sequences you get all sorts of combinations and complex melodies from just a few simple sequences, but obviously you have to chose wisely or you just get a chromatic cacophony. This is just experimentation and practice.
You can also use a quantizer after each sequencer and before the Switchmix or adder, set to just a few notes like a simple tritonic scale to make it easier to get good tunes. Things get more whacky when you dont use 12TET. I use just intonation, often very limited, like 3-limit just intonation.
If you want to transpose everything, you just need to send the transpose CV to one of the inputs then you can add it to everything if you want.
I have a permanent transpose input, with a 2HP TUNE quantizer and an offset generator so by dialling an offset into the 2HP I can transpose everything at the same time. So all the buttons will be engaged from that input in the matrix. If I want 'un tranpose' any individual output, I can just mute that channel and it will revert to low C. I did this in the video briefly to take the sequence out of one of the AJH VCOs for effect.
Bro its a complex issue, I hope that makes sense.

Thanks Steevio, that does really help with understanding what is going on with your setup. I see the flexibility you have with the SwitchMix being able to turn on/off different CV's to achieve different results - very powerful stuff. It makes sense to me at a high level, need to jump in and play a bit more to really get to grips with it.

Once again, really appreciate you sharing your knowledge man! Cheers!
Steevio
Ypsi Kid wrote:

Thanks Steevio, that does really help with understanding what is going on with your setup. I see the flexibility you have with the SwitchMix being able to turn on/off different CV's to achieve different results - very powerful stuff. It makes sense to me at a high level, need to jump in and play a bit more to really get to grips with it.

Once again, really appreciate you sharing your knowledge man! Cheers!

no worries man..
of course you can do all this with Doepfer precision adders, which is what I used to do before the Switchmix. In some respects the adders are better because you can also substract intervals... however for ease of use in a live situation the Switchmix is hard to beat
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars  
Page 1 of 1