MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Akai APC Live .. stand alone Push2-MPC Live-APC40MkII combo.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Akai APC Live .. stand alone Push2-MPC Live-APC40MkII combo.
Rex Coil 7
This looks pretty nice. I have both the Akai APC40MkII and the Ableton Push (not the "2", just the "Push"). Those seem pretty nice. So ... yea, whatever.

And now we have this ..... named the Akai APC Live.

This thing is supposed to be some sort of stand alone .. as in ~no computer required~ .. combination of the Ableton Push2, the Akai APC40MkII, and the Akai MPC Live.

LINK =
https://djtechtools.com/2019/01/03/apc-live-akai-has-created-a-standal one-apc/

I've no clue on the munnies.

Purdy kewl. cool
Ockeghem
Interesting. I liked the original APC and this makes sense from many angles.
I never got Push since I had so many other controllers that also needed a computer. But this... hmmm..... applause cool eek!
Rex Coil 7
Ockeghem wrote:
Interesting. I liked the original APC and this makes sense from many angles.
I never got Push since I had so many other controllers that also needed a computer. But this... hmmm..... applause cool eek!
The world will be introduced to it at NAMM '19. It's pretty much seeing limited exposure just yet. Once the jury of public opinion is unleashed upon it with the almighty judgement of the mainstreamers going thumbs up/thumbs down .. we'll know if Akai made good choices and used wise magic in it's design and construction. Price will play a part in that court's decisions as well.

We'll know soon enough!

This pic is of my recently acquired Akai APC40MkII and Ableton Push1 ...

I'd be v.e.r.y. interested in seeing something with more blinkenlights, push'nbutt'ns, tirnyknobbles, slidenpotties, and OLED-o-visions from MIDI Fighters at the NAMM-o-la show. I have two MIDI Fighters gadgets, and those things are the absolute DOGS BALLS! These here are mines .....

The "3D" 4x4 arcade button grid and "Twister" 4x4 knob grid controllers are really something very special. Full-on straight up MIDI controllers, fully programmable via their proprietary programming editor, those things are SO bloody potent! The "3D" even has motion sensing. It actually has 64 buttons (four banks of 4x4 grids) per program. Same goes with the "Twister" ... four banks of 4x4 knobs = 64 knobs per program.

Shyit!

Use your imagination peoples! Think about how you could use this thing with a multi-output MIDI-to-CV converter (such as a Kenton Pro 2000 MkII or the like). Mega-performance tool here ... patched up to a modular? Are you fekking kidding me?

woah

applause

nanners
Panason
Who told these guys that people need 64 pads??? Guitar players?? hmmm.....

Quote:

four banks of 4x4 knobs = 64 knobs per program.

These devices sound good on paper. I 've messed around with them since the JL Cooper Fadermaster was the only game in town. Manufacturers have yet to realise that these are nowhere near as useful as they would be if they had screens on them to show what parameter each knob/fader is controlling (not just a CC number but an actual name that the user can edit).

Press a button to change to a different set of parameters. Maschine & Nektar P1 are still the only half-decent (keyboard-less) controllers that get close but need another 16-24 encoders ( with screens above them)...

Yeah you could use masking tape to label the controls but then you only get one set of controls, unless you go all Blue Peter with overlays and shit but it's messy and nobody got time for that.
Panason
double posted
Rex Coil 7
Panason wrote:
The same guy that decided a Hammond console organ needed two manuals of 61 keys (122 keys). The same guy that told them a piano needs 88 keys. The same guy that told them a guitar will have 6 strings and 21 frets to access 126 notes. The same guy that told them that a synthesizer needed a hundred modules, two hundred patch cables, nearly one thousand 1/4" jacks (or 3.5mm jacks) and needed to be as large as a washer/dryer combo. Open your mind a little more.

Watch someone with imagination master 64 buttons (this is Shawn Wasabi, keep in mind what you see/hear him play is done realtime ... no backing tracks) .... grid players have really upped the use of button grids to the level of musical art. 64 buttons is only three more actuators than a five octave keyboard. This type of music isn't my type of thing, I don't spend money on this kind of music. But applying imagination to how they may be used, I would venture a guess that the likes of Keith Emerson would appreciate this type of technology. Think of what he could have (would have!) done with this stuff when the album Tarkus was written and recorded. Geezus, just think of the live performances he'd have done with this type of tech in the mid 1970s!

Shawn Wasabi everyone .... applause applause applause applause applause applause applause

Panason wrote:
These devices sound good on paper.
Well, not only do they sound good on paper, they also sell like hotcakes on Sunday morning. I guess the "paper" they sound good on are the monthly sales spreadsheets.

Panason wrote:
I 've messed around with them since the JL Cooper Fadermaster was the only game in town. Manufacturers have yet to realise that these are nowhere near as useful as they would be if they had screens on them to show what parameter each knob/fader is controlling (not just a CC number but an actual name that the user can edit).
Well, says you. There wouldn't be a supply if there weren't a demand.

Panason wrote:
Press a button to change to a different set of parameters. Maschine & Nektar P1 are still the only half-decent (keyboard-less) controllers that get close but need another 16-24 encoders ( with screens above them)...

Yeah you could use masking tape to label the controls but then you only get one set of controls, unless you go all Blue Peter with overlays and shit but it's messy and nobody got time for that.
Y'stuffy old bastard! lol

you kids get off my lawn

What you're asking for has been available for a few decades ... the personal computer screen. You may as well just set up a sheet music stand and put the whole manual in front of you. Go ahead, page through the book .. the song is playing .. the band is waiting .. go on then .. I'll wait.

meh

Damn you've got a stubborn mental block. You'd do well to look deeper into the videos of these MIDI Fighters being used. The color coding of the buttons and the knobs allows you to completely set it up to tell you what is doing what and what signals are controlling what etc.

The buttons rings and LED rings around the knobs are fully customizable ... f.u.l.l.y so. It may take a few hand written notes at first, and a little "self training" but after that you are able to condition yourself to remember YOUR OWN COLOR CODING scheme.

I personally do not like little screens with little letters and little words that I have to read while in mid-flight on stage at 150bpm. In fact, my own synth module panels have very little lettering because I far prefer to rely on ... wait for it ... color coded knobs. After just a little bit of time and use, you begin to develop associations with patterns of color, knob/control shape, and placement with functions. That is precisely why certain keys on your qwerty keyboard have different shapes in various patterns of arrangement. Take mental note of how many people can type like a mad banshee without ever looking at the keyboard. They've memorized the association of controller placement with function.

If I am forced to reading little descriptions to know what functions the controllers I rely on to get me where I need to be while on the fly then the device was designed improperly (lazy engineering).

I don't know, maybe I'm different than others? I prefer to rely on patterns of color, knob shape, knob/switch patterns and so on rather than reading wee little descriptions. When I need to adjust the frequency of my VCOs I know all I have to do is get a visual laser lock on the odd-shaped knob (the giant chickenhead on my VCO panels) and shoot my hand straight at that shape to make the adjustment.

Same goes for color coding light rings around arcade buttons and LED rings around knobs. If you, yourself, are the one that actually decides what colors mean certain functions, then you are VERY likely to recall their meaning. No different that taking hand written notes in class ... if you take the notes yourself, you are far more likely to recall their content. If you allow yourself to rely on information someone else wrote, you are far less likely to recall the information. Taking notes .... choosing the functions attached to color coded knobs ... it's all the same.

Color coding is no different than sight-reading sheet music. You do not actually read each note or chord on the page, you recognize patterns of images. Patterns that fire the memory about which chord to play, and when. The exact same with "tab" (tablature) .. it's patterns of images .. images are the same as colored light, which are also just images.

Another example:

Ok, granted this guy can be a little annoying (and he probably could have showered at some point in the week before the video was shot ... haahaa!) but get past the manic presentation and check out the functionality of the MIDIFighter 3D. It goes far beyond just colored button rings. Do a bit of digging into your imagination and try to apply the different light patterns to functions one may choose .... and nearly effortlessly so by using the configuration editor (that is a free download).

Color coding works. And it works very well. A simple traffic control light is an excellent example of that notion. You don't need to read the sign, you know red=stop ... green=go ... and yellow=go like hell because it's about to turn red.

Er .... uh ... yea.

You get the point, I'm sure.

I need to create a MIDIFighters thread to discuss this stuff. This is supposed to be a thread lauding the new Akai controller.

Heheh .... woopsy.

oops Mr. Green lol
CF3
Panason wrote:

Roger Linn
Rex Coil 7
CF3 wrote:
Panason wrote:

Roger Linn
Pffft! ... lol

EDIT: Re; the video above with the guy wearing the beanie ... he mentioned that the MIDIFighters 3D works with Traktor ... that's only partially true. It works with ANYTHING that responds to MIDI control signals. Ableton as well.

And on the DJTech Tools webpage there are a number of prefabbed templates made up by various pro DJs and other users. I'd prefer to produce my own however.

The 3D and the "Twister" (the one with the knobs) both work with anything that responds to MIDI control signals. I've already started working on getting the Twister to control a Nord Micro Modular.

Nice.

thumbs up
Panason
Well then, the screens will have to be large enough!

Personally I prefer to play synth lines with a piano-style keyboard with full size rigid (not rubber) keys and find just 8 pads are more than enough for drum duties. Desk space is precious... I guess those 64 pads will be put to use for step sequencing but after seeing Ableton's super lame implementation of that (slightly improved in Live 10) I'm not holding my breath.
Quote:

Well, says you. There wouldn't be a supply if there weren't a demand.

People just buy what's available because there's nothing better.. and most of these controllers will be sold on later when people find them not being used enough to justify the space. It's not just me- I have seen many people in various forums asking for what I'm asking...
DiscoDevil
The lack of DIN ports makes them all pretty useless to me.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1