Anyone seen this yet? Mini-Marbles!!!

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

The Grump
Veteran Wiggler

Anyone seen this yet? Mini-Marbles!!!

Post by The Grump » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:18 pm

Looks SSSOOOO SSSICK! Just ordered a Smog, and it looks like I might need her sister, Cara, too!

http://www.antumbra.eu/redesign/cara

jcharney
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jcharney » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:31 pm

Yes! As soon as someone starts selling builds of these, I'm on board.

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:46 pm

I have known about this for a month or two, and whilst I really support Antumbra's work with his MI redesigns, plus originals... I find that generally modules that come across as a 'set and forget' type, the HP size is fine. As soon as there is more serious wiggling, the 9mm Tall Pots can be tricky in small spaces.

Check out: MOMO MODULAR - https://reverb.com/shop/momo-modular

They informed me that 'Cara' is in their pipeline. So watch that space!

The Grump
Veteran Wiggler

Post by The Grump » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:02 pm

cackland wrote: Check out: MOMO MODULAR - https://reverb.com/shop/momo-modular

Yeah, that's who I just ordered my Smog from. Dude is really nice to connect with.

gentle_attack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gentle_attack » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:39 pm

cackland wrote:I find that generally modules that come across as a 'set and forget' type, the HP size is fine. As soon as there is more serious wiggling, the 9mm Tall Pots can be tricky in small spaces.
I agree, if you already know the module (and know you won't need to wiggle heavily) then they can be great space savers.

I haven't used Marbles so I'm not sure about this one, but when uFrames came out, that didn't make sense to me. I'll be keeping an eye out to see what people think about this one.
Control Skiff ||Big Case || cv.ocd || TT303v2 || Manther || OP-1 OP-Lab|| Octatrack Digitone RYTM || BX-8 BX-16 || Monologue KP3+

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:57 pm

gentle_attack wrote: I haven't used Marbles so I'm not sure about this one, but when uFrames came out, that didn't make sense to me. I'll be keeping an eye out to see what people think about this one.
That's why someone redid it with sliders. uPlancks 2 is a huge improvement.
maybe you’d like to buy some nice used modules? Free cables with purchase!!

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=235367&p=3313562&h ... s#p3313562

Shakespeare
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Shakespeare » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:59 pm

So much going on with Marbles that I can't imagine wanting it to be nearly half the size... seems like it would be really hard to work with. But if you need it small, this looks sweet.

xenus_dad
Common Wiggler

Post by xenus_dad » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:43 pm

That's...a choice. It looks ok for set-and-forget applications, but completely physically unplayable. Marbles in its original form is very hands on and tweakable.

Mattman389
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Mattman389 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:46 pm

It's certainly great for those who want to save hp, but I sometimes already feel as if the regular module is a bit tight. Guess it's nice for those who want the option.

void23
Wiggling with Experience

Post by void23 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:35 pm

Marbles deserves some room for wiggling ... at least on the melodic, right side. That one's just too tight for my tastes. Even on the original, I could go for a larger button on the bypass switch, something the same size as the freeze button maybe.
Last edited by void23 on Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FrogStar
Common Wiggler

Post by FrogStar » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:36 pm

Marbles is among the most brilliant modules I’ve ever played. It changed my whole approach to patching and playing my instrument. It is very hands on, very playable, very interactive. I cannot imagine it as a set and forget module. Therefore, It’s one module I’d never, ever want smaller. Marbles earns 100% of its hp, 100% of the time. Others may feel differently, but from my POV, reducing Marbles represents a huge loss.

Nino
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nino » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:14 am

Why would someone buy this and not go VCV if it's about saving hp and set & forget?

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:28 am

Because hardware? 8-)
An exclusive, all Alesis Ion track! The best synth ever made. :guinness:

nangu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nangu » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:35 am

There are a few micro-Mutables that I could see having. But I just got my Marbles. and can’t imagine that one being better in a tiny form.

But maybe I’m a dinosaur. The only Mutable-based thing I have that isn’t wearing official paisley-panel art is Supercell. I really like the idea of making Mutable modules bigger..

Buyakasoundman
Common Wiggler

Post by Buyakasoundman » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:51 am

I’m of the same mind as most on here; Marbles is more instrument than sequencer and requires wiggling. In fact Marbles is the one MI module I would never want minified.

FrogStar
Common Wiggler

Post by FrogStar » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:18 pm

I’m looking forward to the day when some of the very creative people working on secondary, open-source projects will improve the base module rather than just miniaturize it. For instance, with Marbles, it’d be great if someone developed a product/firmware that allowed for precise octave and key transposition. I use O&C for that now.

The Grump
Veteran Wiggler

Post by The Grump » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:36 pm

Nino wrote:Why would someone buy this and not go VCV if it's about saving hp and set & forget?
There are some very important functions that are accessed by hold a button and turning a knob simultaneously with hold a button. Such a task cannot be accomplished, in VCV Rack, currently. Perhaps in version 1.0 it will be possible.

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:09 pm

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:22 pm

FrogStar wrote:I’m looking forward to the day when some of the very creative people working on secondary, open-source projects will improve the base module rather than just miniaturize it. For instance, with Marbles, it’d be great if someone developed a product/firmware that allowed for precise octave and key transposition. I use O&C for that now.
That has already happened with Clouds (at least 2 separate versions), Peaks, and I think Rings.

And that's just hardware, not even counting alternate firmwares.
maybe you’d like to buy some nice used modules? Free cables with purchase!!

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=235367&p=3313562&h ... s#p3313562

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:44 pm

FrogStar wrote:I’m looking forward to the day when some of the very creative people working on secondary, open-source projects will improve the base module rather than just miniaturize it. For instance, with Marbles, it’d be great if someone developed a product/firmware that allowed for precise octave and key transposition. I use O&C for that now.
SuperCell

Nino
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nino » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:53 pm

The Grump wrote:
Nino wrote:Why would someone buy this and not go VCV if it's about saving hp and set & forget?
There are some very important functions that are accessed by hold a button and turning a knob simultaneously with hold a button. Such a task cannot be accomplished, in VCV Rack, currently. Perhaps in version 1.0 it will be possible.
Ok, that makes sense. Thanks. Also turning 2 (or more) knobs at the same time seems impossible in VCV (for now?).

DonKartofflo
The knob-twisting Hive Mind

Post by DonKartofflo » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:03 pm

YEAH BRUH SOOO SICK how they abuse a cc-by-sa license.
Nelson Baboon wrote:Beware of people who tell you to smile.
FS:
Mutable Instruments Tides 1 120€
Addac sys 12U powered frame 200€

Nino
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nino » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:18 pm

This panel layout shows just how good the original Marbles design is.

Here the module seems super complex and way too packed with functions and possibilities. Wow. Technically this probably is some good work, everything fits into 10hp. I can respect that. But i couldn't work with this. Even to just set&forget this i needed a lot of time and concentration.

The Grump
Veteran Wiggler

Post by The Grump » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:35 pm

Nino wrote:
The Grump wrote:
Ok, that makes sense. Thanks. Also turning 2 (or more) knobs at the same time seems impossible in VCV (for now?).

Technically yes, but you can map midi CC's to CV's and twist multiple knobs simultaneously on your controller to your heart's content. And...if you get slick with the Snake module from Southpole, you can set up whole banks of assignments so that you don't need to constantly repatch during a performance.

dashwood
Common Wiggler

Post by dashwood » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:57 pm

The Grump wrote:
cackland wrote: Check out: MOMO MODULAR - https://reverb.com/shop/momo-modular

Yeah, that's who I just ordered my Smog from. Dude is really nice to connect with.
+1 - Recently ordered something from MOMO shipped to the U.K - The guy is super helpful with v reasonable prices.
cackland wrote:
gentle_attack wrote:

I haven't used Marbles so I'm not sure about this one, but when uFrames came out, that didn't make sense to me. I'll be keeping an eye out to see what people think about this one.

That's why someone redid it with sliders. uPlancks 2 is a huge improvement.
I'm waiting on a uPlancks 2, the original uPlancks didn't interest me at all, way too fiddly for the type of module Frames is, but the 2 looks perfect !

Return to “Eurorack Modules”