MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ES-8 not connecting?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author ES-8 not connecting?
jcharney
Just got an ES-8 but my Mac is not seeing it. It has power and the bottom LED (PLL Lock indicator) is lit up, but it's not showing up in my USB devices in System Profiler or as an interface in Audio/MIDI setup.

Tried a couple of different cables/USB hubs, restarting my computer, and turning everything off and on again. Is it a defective unit or is there something I'm missing?

I'm running macOS 10.14.2, by the way.
Inam Ra
... same problem here.

I was able to do a aggregate device with a Scarlett18i20; but is ES-8 not always connecting to the Mac.
os
Are these brand new modules?
Inam Ra
My modules are from November 2018
os
I would check the ES-8 is getting enough power from the case.
Inam Ra
The ES-8 is sitting in a Doepfer A100-LCB with with built-in A-100PSU3: +12V/2000 mA, -12V/1200mA, +5V/4000mA.

The total power consumption according modulargrid: 1036 mA +12V, 429 mA -12V, 0 mA 5V.

os
Should be OK. Have you tried different USB cables?
Inam Ra
I tried USB cables with different lenghts and from various brands with the same result.

I also verified that the cable is ok and also tried all the USB slots on the Mac.

I have a ES-3 and a Scarlett 18i20 connected to the ES-8 and have tried all possible combinations of connecting and disconnecting without any effect.

What i try to do, is combining the ES-8 and the 18i20 as a aggregate device (1st 18i20, 2nd ES-8) and synching both over ADAT. The ES-8 then i like to expand with a ES-3 / ES-5 combo.
jcharney
Hi Os,
Yes it's a brand new module, just got it yesterday.

I can't even do the aggregate device thing as my computer is not seeing the device at all. I might try to borrow an older MacBook with normal USB 2 slots (I only have USB-C on my computer).

I don't think it's a power issue – I'm using a Trogotronic m168 Collier case with the included 10A power system... https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/822032
os
OK. Do also check that the legs of the components on the lower PCB of the ES-8 aren't touching something on the left side of the case.
jcharney
Ok – just tried it with the module out of the case to make sure the legs weren't touching anything. No dice. Also tried it with my old uZeus (with no other modules) to rule out a power issue.

I'm going to check it with my iPad today in case it's a software issue with my computer. In the event that it doesn't work again, is there anything else you suggest trying, or should I return it for a new unit?
os
It is beginning to sound like a return.
Inam Ra
I also just tried out the ES-8 in a empty rack (uZeus) and on a Windows 7 machine but i'm still getting the same result.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1