MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Introducing: ADDAC306 VC Transitions (VIDEO + ideas!)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Introducing: ADDAC306 VC Transitions (VIDEO + ideas!)
Paranormal Patroler
New ADDAC module

it's a 5 channel multi-directional CV generator. Super useful on a performance system and designed with performance in mind.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/addac-system-addac306

http://www.addacsystem.com/product/addac300-series/addac306

Paranormal Patroler

This helps explain the functionality.
mdoudoroff
This looks nifty, and related to something I’ve been trying to get 2hp to make: a two-step sequencer that functions a bit like a light dimmer button: you trigger it and it glides from one value to the other, with variable slew. You trigger it again and it reverses the process. I still think such a module would be terrifically useful, and it would certainly be handy for the CV in jack of the ADDAC306.

This ADDAC306 is also a bit related to Cold Mac and it’s “patch surveillance” concept, although the ADDAC is far more narrowly focused.
Heliophile
I envisioned a module like this once, but couldn't picture the implementation as well as you have here. Good stuff! SlayerBadger!
JohnLRice
Looks awesome! SlayerBadger!
starthief
mdoudoroff wrote:
This ADDAC306 is also a bit related to Cold Mac and it’s “patch surveillance” concept, although the ADDAC is far more narrowly focused.

The first thing I thought of was running a couple of the outputs from this into a min/max module to get some of that Cold Mac flavor (more or less).
Paranormal Patroler
mdoudoroff wrote:

In the sense that the slider acts as a macro control? Then yes. But I'd rephrase the "narrowly focused" to "intuitive in use". It's super easy to set it up any way you want. Plus, to the best of my knowledge, Cold Mac was mostly aimed at audio, whereas this one is aimed at CV. Not that it matters in Eurorack! hihi

Here are some super simple uses I've come up with:

- macro controller for a module with a lot of CV inputs
- macro controller for a full patch
- ADSR/LFO multi-mangler
- Sequence polyphonizer (get a monophonic sequence, plug it in the ADDAC306 and then pass it through a multichannel quantizer like the ADDAC207). Fool around with the 306 controls to change what your other voices are doing.
mdoudoroff
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
In the sense that the slider acts as a macro control? Then yes. But I'd rephrase the "narrowly focused" to "intuitive in use".

Fair enough. There is precisely nothing that is intuitive about Cold Mac.

Plus, to the best of my knowledge, Cold Mac was mostly aimed at audio, whereas this one is aimed at CV. Not that it matters in Eurorack!

Nah, Cold Mac is equally versed in cv and audio. It has one audio-only feature and two cv-only features, but everything else goes either way. One difference is that Cold Mac is (mostly) bipolar (for better or worse).
Paranormal Patroler
mdoudoroff wrote:
In the sense that the slider acts as a macro control? Then yes. But I'd rephrase the "narrowly focused" to "intuitive in use".

Fair enough. There is precisely nothing that is intuitive about Cold Mac.

lol I figured as much! Although that sometimes can work to the benefit of the patch. My preference is for less esoteric, more straightforward modules, that can be put to clever use by the ingenuity of the user.

I find the big knob on the Cold Mac very inviting, and hopefully wigglers will find that the slider on the ADDAC306 is equally so.
desolationjones
This looks great. A lin/log/exp curve pot for each channel would have made this incredible as a fade/pan automation controller.

Can you imagine hooking four of these things to a Doepfer Morph Controller? zombie
damase
i really love the idea for the meta control abilities... excellent for controling a patch and far better than cold mac for that purpose. would be a convenient way to organize a live set

although i kinda wish it was digital with loadable scenes for the parameters kinda like an octatrack crossfader... maybe that will be the next step of this evolution
ersatzplanet
take the outs of each to it's own quantizer and you could have chord progressions when you move the slider.
Paranormal Patroler
ersatzplanet wrote:
take the outs of each to it's own quantizer and you could have chord progressions when you move the slider.

Plus you can plug your sequencer on the CV Input and transform your sequence into polyphonic, with the various voices acting in a linear-relation manner. Like a graphic score! Mr. Green

I've tried this with ADDAC207 to great effect. You can use the fifth output to change the transposition. I need to make a video of this.
ludotex
So it's kind like Frames with 5 outputs right?
organon
ludotex wrote:

In Frames each channel either mixes audio or sends CV. Here there is no audio mixing, only CV control.
Paranormal Patroler
organon wrote:
ludotex wrote:

In Frames each channel either mixes audio or sends CV. Here there is no audio mixing, only CV control.

That and the fact that ADDAC306 is way smaller, doesn't need programming or having to access menus, and allows for reverting of the direction of the change per channel. I own both and each has its uses. I've used Frames as a sequencer and a macro controller, but nothing as immediate and playable as the 306.

One of the not-so-obvious strengths of the ADDAC module is that it's really hands on. You can change the values or direction while performing, allowing you to control a bunch of aspects of patch from one center point, without too much thinking. If you know where each channel is plugged to, you can manipulate it on the fly.
lohacker
Congrats Paranormal Patroler and Addac guys, this is really a nice module and I'm considering it instead of a second CM.
Is it possible to disable an output by setting the min and span at zero?

ersatzplanet wrote:

Plus you can plug your sequencer on the CV Input and transform your sequence into polyphonic, with the various voices acting in a linear-relation manner. Like a graphic score! Mr. Green

I've tried this with ADDAC207 to great effect. You can use the fifth output to change the transposition. I need to make a video of this.

Please make a video of that we're not worthy
Paranormal Patroler
lohacker wrote:
Congrats Paranormal Patroler and Addac guys, this is really a nice module and I'm considering it instead of a second CM.
Is it possible to disable an output by setting the min and span at zero?

Yes, of course. The MIN will act as your base level voltage, so you can set it up to any value necessary (including 0). If your span is set to 0V there will be no change to the output when moving the Transition slider or when using the CV input. You can dial in a change midflight if you want by changing the SPAN value.

Additionally, since the slider acts as an attenuator for the incoming CV, you can plug a modulation source at the CV input, offset and attenuate it for each output, and only dial it in (via slider) whenever necessary.

The plan is to make some videos and post on IG for the next few days. Nothing fancy, just a few cool tricks I've come up with when using the ADDAC306. I'll post links here as I go along. hihi
bobbcorr
I saw and the first thing that came to mind was “Warm Mac”.
BailyDread
this is pretty dang saucy Miley Cyrus

interested to read more proposed uses for this... seems a little like the livestock felix. if i already have one of those, how could i use it with this and a planar 2 for system-wide interrelated CV modulation?

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/livestock-electronics-felix
Hovercraft
Love this. The module has an instantly intuitive interface--one look at it and you know exactly how it works. 5v/10v jumpers for each channel?--icing on the cake. Wish this was a bit shallower, but it looks awesome for performances. Controlling this with a Zadar will be some big-sized fun.
BailyDread
Hovercraft wrote:
Wish this was a bit shallower, but it looks awesome for performances. Controlling this with a Zadar will be some big-sized fun.

will it not fit into a mantis? cry
Hovercraft
BailyDread wrote:
Hovercraft wrote:
Wish this was a bit shallower, but it looks awesome for performances. Controlling this with a Zadar will be some big-sized fun.

will it not fit into a mantis? cry

Mantis should be fine--I'm just thinking of 4MS Pod60 with an ER-301, an Addac 304, and this. The module has a power connector mounted to the second pcb, so it won't fly in the current pods.
Paranormal Patroler
Hovercraft wrote:
Mantis should be fine--I'm just thinking of 4MS Pod60 with an ER-301, an Addac 304, and this. The module has a power connector mounted to the second pcb, so it won't fly in the current pods.

Yeah, at 40mm deep I don't think it'll fit the current pods. Waiting for a pair to arrive tomorrow, so I might find a workaround, but I guess we'll all have to wait for the next design of the Pods. I still feel a bit disappointed by their depth.

I actually wanted to have a 306 next to a Morphagene in a Pod, and another 306 and a Clouds in another.

If anyone is interested, I just uploaded a story of the latter pair on instagram. It's just Clouds + 306 manipulating a PO breakbeat.
Hovercraft

Yeah, at 40mm deep I don't think it'll fit the current pods. Waiting for a pair to arrive tomorrow, so I might find a workaround, but I guess we'll all have to wait for the next design of the Pods. I still feel a bit disappointed by their depth.

I actually wanted to have a 306 next to a Morphagene in a Pod, and another 306 and a Clouds in another.

If anyone is interested, I just uploaded a story of the latter pair on instagram. It's just Clouds + 306 manipulating a PO breakbeat.

You're the designer? Nice work! I've been consolidating a lot of modulation parameters to offset modules, but this takes it a step further, and still leaves the basic offsets playable. Will order as soon as it's available in the US.

edit: Also available as a kit? Is it all through hole? thx
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4