MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Best midi controller for Arturia VC6
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Best midi controller for Arturia VC6
Josef_K
Edit: never mind. I spent quite some time watching demos/reviews of high-end midi keyboards, then fired up some rhodes and mellotron sounds from the Nord through a bunch of effect pedals. Instant fun, faster and better ideas with better sounds. Maybe software just isn't for me...

Is it the Native Instruments S-series? It seems to me that the Keylab misses out by being focused on Analog Lab and not on the V-collection, while having the titles for the knobs change when you turn pages is THE most important aspect of this kind of controller, and the Arturia lacks this. I can turn pages, at least I think so, but it won't take long for me to tire of having to adjust a knob to see (on the computer screen) what it does.

I'm currently using my Nord Electro 4 SW73 which works but has only a few knobs and I end up just clicking away with the mouse eventually, losing patience and inspiration with increasing speed...

How are you controlling your V-collection? Do you recommend the NI S-series, another controller or should I just go for a polysynth like the OB-6 and try to fit all software into that interface? (And of course use the OB-6 instead of software anyway 90% of the time)
XXXEsq
Take a look at the new Novation SLMkIII series. I have (and really like) 2 SL MkIIs.
Rex Coil 7
Josef_K wrote:
Edit: never mind. I spent quite some time watching demos/reviews of high-end midi keyboards, then fired up some rhodes and mellotron sounds from the Nord through a bunch of effect pedals. Instant fun, faster and better ideas with better sounds. Maybe software just isn't for me...
Wise and mature choice. Good for you!

Just to give you some optional pathways when it comes to MIDI controller setups, I'll offer my solution. This may help you to add more MIDI controls to your Nord rig.

I went with a Synthesizers.Com 5 octave controller kybd (the QKB61) which is a metal framed FATAR TP/9S keybed with solid walnut sides and top. Since that kybd has no buttons/knobs etc I was in a funk for several months attempting to make choices regarding how to go about getting some MIDI control happening. The QKB61 is a full-on MIDI keyboard with velocity, release velocity, and aftertouch, but there are no other knobs or switches that send MIDI control signals. I went through a months long search ....

... then I discovered MIDIFighters controllers. There are essentially two models .... one has sixteen arcade buttons (4x4 grid) with four banks ... so actually there are sixty four buttons! The other has sixteen 360 degree rotary knobs with full LED rings (similar to the Nord Lead 3) in a 4x4 grid, and just like the arcade button version there are four banks ... so sixty four knobs! The knobs are super uber excellent feeling, they feel exactly like analog synth knobs (none of this wobbly, loose, cheap-ass feeling encoder business going on). $220.00 for either unit, with free shipping from the manufacturer right here in the U.S.A.

Both have configuration editor programs that allow you to color code each control's LED rings ... and each control's "status" (on, off, standby, etc..) is indicated by different colors or blinking LED ring. Built tough as a manhole cover as well.

They're sold by a place called DJTech Tools .....

LINK = https://www.midifighter.com/

There are loads of videos of either unit in use. Many tutorials with suggestions and configuration help, as well as many videos of them in use. Granted most of the videos and tutorials revolve around dance music production and live DJ performance use .... but just put your imagination to work and it's very easy to see how powerful these contraptions are and how useful they can be in ANY studio or any situation involving ANY MIDI gear.

Take a look at this video. Put your imagination to work and think of how these things can be applied. I'll be using the knobs one to control my Nord Micro Modular. I'll be using the arcade buttons one to control Ableton.

Knobs is called "Twister". Not only does it provide knobs (that also have push-button switches in each knob, and side buttons) but the Twister may also be configured as a sequencer!

Buttons is called "3D". It's called "3D" because not only does it give you different functions on each button, bit it's also fully motion sensitive. Tip it, roll it over, turn it on it's side, whatever ... each movement can be programmed to send different MIDI control signals. Bad ass, right? Those arcade buttons are rated at FIVE MILLION CYCLES before failure! And those things are mega responsive and highly tactile. HIGHLY TACTILE I SAY!!!

meh lol

Here ... consume teh bideos .... the second one demonstrates the motion sensing control very nicely.

I am not affiliated with MIDIFighters or DJTech Tools in any way whatsoever, nor am I compensated by either entity in any way ... I'm just a fan and a happy owner of a MIDIFighters 3D and Twister .....

thumbs up

Josef_K
XXXEsq wrote:
Take a look at the new Novation SLMkIII series. I have (and really like) 2 SL MkIIs.

Yeah, that one also has changeable labels for the knobs I see. Seems like a good alternative. I think I need to accept though that software instruments and effects generally cannot and should not be part of my writing workflow. Software is great for adding specific things down the line, but at that point I might as well play my Nord and click with the mouse.

As for your suggestions Rex, that seems like a cool and flexible setup. I think I'd get confused as to what knob does what thing pretty quickly though. I might check out those videos out of curiosity anyways.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1