MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

DSI/Sequential Pro-2 vs. Mutable Shruthi
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author DSI/Sequential Pro-2 vs. Mutable Shruthi
Sir Ruff
I currently have a Shruthi XT with the dual filter option and I love it. But I have always been curious about the Pro-2 and just realized that it has a similar dual filter pathway. Even with the knobs present, I find the XT interface cumbersome and fiddly and the Pro-2 also has the additional of delays, etc. My biggest concern though is about the lack of wavetables on the Pro-2.

Anyone used both and can comment on relative merits?
rjungemann
Pro-2 indeed has wavetables (borrowed from the Evolver series IIRC), I just don't think they're customizable :¬)

"Shape/Noise:
Off, Sawtooth, Super Saw, Pulse, Triangle, Sine, Tines,
Mellow, Church, Muted, Nasal, Boing, Gothic, Ahhh, Shrill, Ohhhh,
Buzzzz, Meh, Super Tines, Super Mellow, Super Church, Super Muted,
Super Nasal, Super Boing, Super Gothic, Super Ahhh, Super Shrill,
Super Ohhhh, Super Buzzzz, Super Meh, Red Noise, White Noise, Violet
Noise—
Used to select the wave shape or type of noise generated by the
selected oscillator. Wave shapes include four typical analog synthesizer
waves as well as more complex wavetable sounds. There are also three
types of noise: red, white, and violet."

I haven't used one personally, but some of the attractive features: CV control, advanced SH-101 style sequencing, and semi-polyphony (each voice has a VCA but they share a filter, so more featureful than paraphony but not quite true polyphony).
dubnspace
i'm surprised they haven't updated the Pro2/Prophet 12 yet with all the evolver/VS wavetables.
Sir Ruff
rjungemann wrote:
Pro-2 indeed has wavetables (borrowed from the Evolver series IIRC), I just don't think they're customizable :¬)

Yes, I should have been clearer--I meant less wavetables (and less variation between them) on the Pro-2 compared to the Shruthi.

Quote:
semi-polyphony (each voice has a VCA but they share a filter, so more featureful than paraphony but not quite true polyphony).

Ah, interesting. I knew it was paraphonic but didn't realize each voice had its own VCA. So if you keep filter at max is really is polyphonic.

dubnspace wrote:
i'm surprised they haven't updated the Pro2/Prophet 12 yet with all the evolver/VS wavetables.

Yeah, that's a pretty frustrating omission. Another thing I remembered in the Pro-2's favor tho is the implementation of Linear FM. Pretty cool.
stikygum
The Shruthi and Ambika are great sounding synths. I just sold an Ambika, but kind of because I have too many synths, which I ended up not learning one well like I should. I found the Ambika interface somewhat fiddly too, but honestly I think that was because I didn't spend as much time with it as one should with a synth. I think everyone should use synths to the point of feeling comfortable with using it's interface. I didn't do that.

I found the interface of the Ambika to be similar to older Ensoniq synths. And I find those synths to be easy to edit. Ambika actually does better and have 8 knobs for each of the parameters on screen, so you don't have to select a button/parameter before tweaking it like on Ensoniqs (but that didn't bother me on those). With that said, I didn't like how turning a knob on the Ambika, in the Osc section for example, made the whole screen change to read out the full parameter name instead of the abbreviated parameter name. It's stuff like this that actually irked me. Ironically, I think the idea was to make things clearer for the user to know what they're tweaking, but I didn't like sacrificing visuals of what the other 7 knobs are assigned to while I'm doing this.

So I almost think the developer was trying to get too smart and clever in it's design. I think he did a good job designing it, but it is almost too customizable. If I wanted a customizable synth to make two voices monophonic and the other 4 voices polyphonic (so 3 parts total - 2 mono, 1 poly), then this would be a great synth. But I wasn't looking for that.

The filter of the Ambika is absolutely fantastic (mine was SMR4). But overall, I didn't want everything the Ambika was giving me. It gave me more than I wanted to use it for, so therefore things became cumbersome. But if I really wanted to take more time to learn it, I bet I would have had somewhat of a different experience. I also don't think I was too into the Osc waves onboard, so I decided to move it. I used it to fund a Waldorf Quantum, which is my dream synth. So it made a lot of sense to me.

I own a Pro 2 and really like the interface. One of the best interfaces out there imo. At first I wasn't into the Osc waves either, but the interface made it so easy for me to create my own sounds and I liked the tones I get when tweaking. It feels great to use, like a real organic instrument. That's why I keep it. Great interface, fun tweaking experiences because of it and very interesting tones come out. And it has effects that really bode well for all kinds of music.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1