MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

I'm torn on my next voice - Make Nosie DPO vs PM SV-1
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author I'm torn on my next voice - Make Nosie DPO vs PM SV-1
re-Verse
So, I've been slowly filling out my rack - making music with it and my Roland TB-03 and TR-09.

I use Plaits/Rings for voices in my current layout https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/733378.

I really feel the need to add another voice - using rings every single time I feel is limiting me. I know that the DPO and the SV1 are very different - with SV1 being a complete semi-modular and all. I'm sort of leaning that way simply because I have so little to back it up right now.

Any thoughts? Would I be better in the long run buying the DPO and getting the modules I'd be getting built in with the SV1?
R.U.Nuts
Since they also sound very different I'd suggest to pick the one you like the sound more. Since you have an Optomix and Maths you won't need any more modules to back up the DPO...
Blicken Synths
If you looking for a complex oscillator don't rule out the Verbos or the Cs-L. They're more like the DPO than the SV-1
re-Verse
Blicken Synths wrote:
If you looking for a complex oscillator don't rule out the Verbos or the Cs-L. They're more like the DPO than the SV-1

Thanks, I'm looking those up now. Any other recommendations?
Bjarlstedt
Blicken Synths wrote:

Or the more ”friendly” sounding, Furthrrrr Generator. I really love mine and wasn’t quite sure which one I’d choose. I was thinking of getting either DPO, Verbos CO or Furthrrrr and couldn’t decide so I just got the first one that popped up for a nice price second hand.
Just go for one of them and sell it if you don’t like it and get the other one.
uniquepersonno2
The Loquelic Iteritas Percido is my favorite synth voice. It's based around a complex oscillator (so you'll be closer to dpo-type sound design) but it's an actual voice, not just an oscillator like the DPO. I also find it a bit more versatile than my DPO, though I love them both.
Hi5
Get the component parts instead of a single complex vco. 2 vco, vca(2), mixer, and a wavefolder (+ ringmod) will be more capable long term. You can still get the typical complex vco type results but also stack and detune the vco for bigger mono voices and more flexible routing. Chose the right vco and you'll have sub octaves and way more waveform outputs. Plus, you can always add on or swap out individual components as opposed to being stuck with the one way one person decided to do something.

It is a modular synth after all.
Rex Coil 7
Hi5 wrote:
Get the component parts instead of a single complex vco. 2 vco, vca(2), mixer, and a wavefolder (+ ringmod) will be more capable long term.
... and nearly twice the cost. I'd say go with the DPO and then later .. if needed .. add more singular modules. A number of the connections used with those components that are found in the DPO are normalized, requiring no patch cables to create most of the "most used" patches. The DPO is a purpose built dual VCO voice with a purpose in mind. It's a champ at creating complex harmonically rich FM-y/wave-foldy sounds. In that use, it blows away the Verbos Complex Oscillator (or whatever that costly beast is called).

Hi5 wrote:
It is a modular synth after all.
Well, if we're going to go ~there~, then a better choice would be to go with the DPO, and then later add all of that other stuff you suggested. Now THAT'S being "true-dat" modular!

hihi cool thumbs up
chaosick
Blicken Synths wrote:

Considering selling my Cs-L FYI for anyone who's interested me, you can PM me for info..
tommygee
chaosick wrote:
Blicken Synths wrote:

Considering selling my Cs-L FYI for anyone who's interested me, you can PM me for info..

Why are you considering selling it ?
Ahzek
Listening to your soundcloud for a bit I personally think the DPO (or a complex osc in general!) would be a nice fit. It can make some real gritty tones (but also smooth!) real quick.

Is there any particular role you want it to fulfill in your system?
Hi5
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
... to create most of the "most used" patches. The DPO is a purpose built dual VCO voice with a purpose in mind.

I think this is the main question. Do you want primarily the same sounds that anyone else with the DPO will be making or have the flexibility to get away from the signature of a single piece/brand? Personally, flexibility wins (also sub octaves on a VCO are a must). Given the OP mentions Plaits into Rings I'll assume its not a concern.
re-Verse
Ahzek wrote:

Is there any particular role you want it to fulfill in your system?

I'm just getting tired of trying to use rings in every single track, just because I want a "fuller" sound. Having something else to fall back on that I can hopefully pull a good variety of sound/texture out of would make me happy.
gringostar
Tides + Warps to complement your rings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN6MdVaoG_Y
re-Verse
chaosick wrote:

After listening to that Cs-L and the other oscillators, I swear it's the nicest sounding thing out there. I'm certainly considering one, but it would take a couple weeks of saving before I could spend that kind of cash.
Parnelli
I am extremely fond of Intellijel's Rubicon TZFM oscillator, it really opened up a whole new world of sound to me.
Ahzek
Tbf all complex oscilators can sound as harsh or as smooth as you want.
But yeah the Cs-L is a beauty, I would consider it if the front panel wasn't such a mess... Maybe I still will who knows hmmm.....

It also has a sub out, which is a big plus over other complex oscillators.

In any case worth saving up for SlayerBadger!
blipson
What about a Pittsburgh Double Helix? I got one as a complementary voice to my DPO, and I'm pretty happy with it. Doesn't have sync though.
strangegravity
The SV-1 would be good in your rack. It has a filter, sample and hold, and mults. Some things that you seem to be missing in your rack. Plus you get a MIDI CV interface 2xOSCs and 2XLFOs.

I have one and it's great.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1