MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Saving money for Quantum, Deckarts Dream or Moog One?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Saving money for Quantum, Deckarts Dream or Moog One?
mg05
I want a poly synth

For which one I should put my money aside?

Waldorf Quantum?
Deckarts Dream?
Moog One?

Any alternative?

Whether it has a keyboard or not doesn't matter.

Older synths are not preferred but not excluded.

Soundwise everything is a matter of taste I guess. I think I like all of them cool

But to say 'take all of them' is not the solution for me because of limited cash and space (now and in future)
rean1mator
I think out of all three the Quantum will have the most flexibility in sound design and a broader palette to work with.

I've owned a Deckard's dream and while a great synth, I ended up selling it. Just didn't gel with it for some reason, and for the price of if, didn't feel like it was worth it just to get that legendary cs-80 sound. Never was a fan of vangelis anyways - haha.

I sold the deckard's to get the Moog One, but as I researched while waiting for them to come back in stock, I realized the Quantum was the better fit for me due to the points I mentioned. Mine drops at my house tomorrow and looking forward to getting to play with it this week. I'll still consider Moog in the future but at that price I'm gonna have to get my grubby hands and more importantly my ears on one in person before making a decision.
SteeVtheRipper
The only one I have played of these is the Moog one. The 8 voice is near the price point of the deckards dream. I think of those two the Moog One is a much better synth for the money. Feature for feature it has more and is vastly more flexible as far as modulation and sound sculpting than the DD. You also get a great keyboard, pitch and mod wheels as well as that xyz pad, the backing of Moog customer service as well as the service of whatever vendor you get it from. In person is sounds fantastic, easily one of the best sounding instruments I have ever played, including vintage gear, including Memorymoogs. It was hard to walk away from and kept inviting me to explore. So tweakable yet so simple.

The Quantum is a different beast. If you find that you want all that the digital engine brings then that may be better for you. It also sounds great.

While the DD sounds great I feel like you really need to be ok with the limitations of the CS80 interface. Limitations are great and force creativity and I totally get going after an instrument for a specific tone rather than a million features. I think that’s why the Minimoog is so popular, it just has that sound.

If it were my $$ I’d prolly go for the Moog One and maybe down the line add some kind of digital module. From the sound to the presence of the instrument it’s totally my taste. It’s gorgeous. And while the quantum sounds good, it hasn’t made my jaw drop yet. Same with the DD.
Rex Coil 7
mg05 wrote:
I want a poly synth ...
I gave up on big bucks spent on a single synth years ago. Reason being if it breaks down (and it will break down) then this huge section of my studio is down while the big bucks synth is in the shop. I got hit with that several times since I began playing in 1978. So around mid 2000s I opted out of buying The Big Fancy and went with a full-on modular philosophy. That is not to say I used only modular analogue synths. What it means to me is building my studio and live performance rig out of many pieces, rather than fewer/more costly pieces.

So about two years ago I violated my own rules. I bought a big shot poly synth from a big shot manufacturer and paid big shot munnies for it. I bragged that thing up here in the forum, spouted it's muscular capabilities, touted it's features and it's "made for professional players" construction, it's unsurpassed sound quality, and the manufacturer's long standing excellent reputation for building upper echelon gear.

And just sure as shit, after owning it for only three months the damned thing went down. It ended up being sent to three separate factory repair centers, each time it had a different problem. BIG ASS problems ... like no output ... or a solid blue screen with absolutely zero characters displayed. Total and complete failures. Out of over eighteen months of ownership, I only had actual possession of it for less than four months. I'm still wiping egg from my face after all of the strutting about I'd done regarding my bad ass high end poly synth.

When it finally came back to me a few months ago, I tested it fully so that I could honestly say that I knew for a fact that it worked. Then I cleaned it up really well, took a couple of dozen glamour pictures of it, listed it on eBay, and sold that bitch just about two weeks ago. Good riddance, ya black Karma devil, you!

It was the very latest flagship synth made by an extra-highly respected manufacturer of one of the most renowned and revered line of poly synths since 1980. The model I bought was time tested and had been on the market for about six to eight years. I honestly believed it was worthy of violating one of my cardinal rules.

Nope. Aw hell no!

Before it even came back from the last factory repair center (this last time it went to the actual factory headquarters) I began efforts to replace it.

mg05 wrote:
...Any alternative? ..
Most definitely! Returning to my notions of ~modular systems only~ I bought three used digital rack romplers that were quite famous and popular around the turn of the century (E-MU Proteus family rack synths). Each one was roughly $300.00 bucks. I elected to go with a FATAR TP/9S controller keyboard, sold by Synthesizers.Com, and added a few performance controllers to it (joystick and dual twenty inch long ribbon controllers). An additional Kenton CV-to-MIDI converter (read that carefully .... CV-to-MIDI) was included in the works, as well as a Behringer FCB1010 MIDI foot controller. I've owned a few of those, they've been in production for roughly eighteen years without one single change in design.

Total cost came to about $2800.00 for the entire pile. But .... if any single part takes a shit I'm still rolling ... the whole ship doesn't sink if one of the E-MUs quits, or the kybd needs work, or the joystick drops out, or one of the ribbon controllers fail, or whatever.

So yea .... modular (as a philosophy) all the way baby!

Unless I have an entire wheelbarrow full of hunskies as disposable cash-ola ... I'm not going to drop big munnies on a single instrument ever again.

So the idea of a $6K or $8K Moog poly? Pffft! ... not even Holmes! I'm still smartin' from the sting of my "dream performance synth" shittin' the bed and putting me through customer service/warranty hell. I lost a few hundred buckies in that snafu .... I look at it as "synth rental money".

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

thumbs up

SteeVtheRipper wrote:
... prolly .
HA! .... really? .... lol

lol lol
donato
I've reduced my setup to a Deckard's Dream, MacBeth Micromac D and a Modal 002r, so if that doesn't tell you...I think the DD sounds the best personally of the options you listed (millions of options the others may have are less important to me- and I still feel I have plenty of variety with those three I do have).
lisa
mg05 wrote:
But to say 'take all of them' is not the solution for me because of limited cash

Not very limited though, since you’re looking at the Moog One? You can get several polys for the price of the One. The Korg Prologue or the Behringer Deepmind are polys for a tiny fraction of the price of a One. Novation Peak gets great reviews. I love the Korg Minilogue.

What are your criterias except for it being a poly?
Josef_K
If digital oscillators don't bother you (no drift, no "magic") then I think the Quantum is the way to go. I love the sounds it's capable of but for me, it's a bit much money-wise and I'm a bit afraid of digital oscillators (and DCO:s for that matter). I'm toying with the idea of a poly myself but just can't make up my mind. Maybe I don't need one.
ObsoleteModular
mg05 wrote:
Any alternative?

Any poly from the DSI/Sequential stable?

Prophet, OB6, Rev2, the sampling thingy etc
Panason
It all depends on what you want to do with the synth. The Quantum has a vastly bigger sonic palette.
calaveras
I picked up a DSI/Sequential/Oberheim OB6 last year.
Its a fricking lovely instrument. Not just the amazing sounds, but the way the aftertouch works and the instrument as a whole. I can see myself taking years to grow into this. Unlike my Moog Taurus which sounds good as hell, but really only has a dozen different sounds in it.

I'm possibly going to aim for a Quantum later this year. If not I'll go in for another Sequential.
The problem with polyphony is that pretty soon you start getting into harmony and melody. Next thing you know you are in a Billy Joel tribute act. So don't get too much polyphony!
anselmi
I second the DSI/Sequential stuff...

P6 for an all-duties analog workhorse that sounds great and fits in the mix without effort

OB-6 if you want a more distinct sound (you have to like this sound thought)

And I also support the idea of use more cheap synths instead of one big expensive one.
You can combine one of the above poly analogs with some old ROMplers like the E-Mu proteus family or the Roland JV/XP series that are pretty cheap

I got a Proteus 2000 and a (much older) kawai k1m, both passed thru an Elektron Analog Heat for filtering and drive, plus an Eventide H9 and Strymon Big Sky...man...I never was so happy with a synth setup...it sounds gorgeous and I use this all the time in productions with great effect
Rex Coil 7
you kids get off my lawn

.. yea, I know, I have already pitched my anti-big-money-synth rant.

... but I'm also that same guy that refuses to put an Alexa in our home .. or a refrigerator with a camera inside of it .. or one of these new voice activated faucets .. or the new ovens/stoves with cameras in them/on them with a streaming feed piped directly to Instagram. Rage! Redneck

so yea .... me ----> you kids get off my lawn

Just another old fashioned caveman that believes in holding the door open for a woman!

lol!
Rex Coil 7
anselmi wrote:
And I also support the idea of use more cheap synths instead of one big expensive one.
Hug headbang

anselmi wrote:
You can combine one of the above poly analogs with some old ROMplers like the E-Mu proteus family or the Roland JV/XP series that are pretty cheap.
So true. The Proteus 2000 with ver 2.26 firmware can be had for around $275.00 or so ... 1024 sounds, 16 arpeggiators, 128 voice poly, 6 outputs, 32 MIDI channels. What's not to like?

anselmi wrote:
I got a Proteus 2000 and a (much older) kawai k1m, both passed thru an Elektron Analog Heat for filtering and drive, plus an Eventide H9 and Strymon Big Sky...man...I never was so happy with a synth setup...it sounds gorgeous and I use this all the time in productions with great effect
I recently added a Strymon Deco to my rig, and a Strymon Blue Sky to my wife's Proteus 2500. I use Lexicon MX200s on my own E-MUs (a Planet Earth chassis with a Proteus 2000 ROM ... I gave my wife the Planet Earth ROM out of it for Christmas --- my 2nd E-MU is the XL-1 Xtreme Lead). So each E-MU gets run into it's own dedicated Lexicon MX200. By the way, them Lexicon MX200s can be had used for roughly $100.00 in great shape. I've only got $225.00 in the pair that are in the "synth rack".

My little music system has never been more useful and fun. And there's none of that performance pressure that used to own me when I had expensive synths. I always had this looming dooming feeling that I not only had to use it/them more often that I really wanted to, but also I had to produce some sort of masterful works of musical excellence. All to justify ownership of The Big Fancy.

I suppose everyone has their own ideas about what ~good~ is, yea?

TheRosskonian
A big purchase like this sounds very personal. Why not save up a bit of cash to travel somewhere where you can try these synths out in person?
Dr Gris
I think it's a strange question, like "Gearslutz-strange"...
You list 3 VERY different polys and ask for alternatives... hmmm.....

I might be in a minority, but to me I don't think the Moog One is overpriced.
It's a professional instrument that can do a lot.

Since DSI has been mentioned, maybe have a look at their Prophet X / XL?
I'm happy with their OB-6 but miss a couple of voices and an octave...

Or be obscure and get The River from Baloran woah

//M
mg05
I love you
your answers
Lotsa Love

Maybe it's best to travel to the synths and hear them first. It's still hard to decide (I'm didn't even decide to buy which FM synth so I'm saving the money)

And not bad I don't buy anything and I'm happy. The music and some instruments are still there to sound.

In fact I wanted a kind of 'flagship' synth something versatile and special sounding with a lot lots of knobs so rather no rack synth. But I'm sure with a few hundred $ or even less for a synth and nice sound processing and a skillfull musician can produce sounds for flagship stores or enchant you into a spaceship journey...

And Rex Coil radically opposed this idea twisted

I think I will wait while saving the money for a big synth (which will past away any time like everything) and not spend the money for cheaper synths, modules (oh no!), effects meanwhile.

Waldorf Quantum is my favourite although Sequential seems to be a good alternative - interesting and nice sounding synths as well.
Sir Ruff
Dr Gris wrote:

yep.... If I was about to spend >$3k, I'd be devouring every demo out there rather than spending time asking people on synth forums, 99% of whom will not have used all three.
Dr Gris
Saving money and figuring out what you really want is a mature move.
I just wish I was that mature myself Mr. Green

Quantum is indeed an interesting synth.

Good luck!!

//M
anselmi
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
a refrigerator with a camera inside of it

hmmm.....
umma gumma
Rex Coil 7 wrote:

blah blah blah
:

Rex, what was the poly synth you bought?
rod_zero
Waldorf quantum for sure, the possibilities are quite vast.
SteeVtheRipper
Just revisiting this. FWIW I’ve been wanting a poly for a while. I had a Deepmind 12 but sold it. Wasn’t a good fit for me. I think I’m heading towards a Peak and/or OB6. Maybe one day I will snag a Moog one but @ $8k it’s just not the best use of my $$ right now. I could, but I won’t. I’m gonna wait til after NAMM to see what’s on the horizon, but I think it’s going to be Peak+/ OB6.
rean1mator
haha i thought the same thing when i read that.

anselmi wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:

hmmm.....
toxoplasma_gondii
anselmi wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:

hmmm.....

It is a reference to the new "smart" refrigerators that keep track of your food stocks and can automatically order more online when you are running low.
mg05
[edit: spelling]

toxoplasma_gondii wrote:
anselmi wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:

hmmm.....

It is a reference to the new "smart" refrigerators that keep track of your food stocks and can automatically order more online when you are running low.

I would rather get a fridge with a synth inside of it.

Sir Ruff wrote:
Dr Gris wrote:

yep.... If I was about to spend >$3k, I'd be devouring every demo out there rather than spending time asking people on synth forums, 99% of whom will not have used all three.

I don't know like Gearslutz strange hihi
But I love the muffwigglers.
Almost every time I did post something I got very good and interesting answers , ideas, got influenced by inspiring people with good advice and wise opinions.
At least I got a good laugh sometimes.

When I'm thinking about a big synth the Moog One is now days probably a kind of king of synths and it's nice to hear what are thinking other musicians about it whether they have played on it or even own it or not and if such an investment it's worth.
I think my family wouldn't tolerate such a pricy synthesizer: Maybe if I really want it and fight for and safe the money and earn more money my wife will say 'yes you .........'. But it is this worth?

Then there is sound and flexibilty and so much things are important or not important to different people - it's so interesting for me to hear and think about it.

Or lisa asked:
Quote:
What are your criterias except for it being a poly?

In fact I never really thaught about it. A poly is a poly, isn't it? Lisa Simpson

Anyway I will safe the money for the Quantum probably and try to hear the others better to try them. Meanwhile I might going to know what I really want or need and other synths might appear .
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2