MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Fiddling with the 6 channel outputs on my ES-5 Controller...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author Fiddling with the 6 channel outputs on my ES-5 Controller...
DJMaytag
What does this mean?

CH1 (ES-5):

1 = no lights on
2 = #1 on
4 = #2 on
8 = #3 on
16 = #4 on
32 = #5 on
64 = #6 on
128 = #7 on (ES-3mk4's channel 7 goes blue here)

Similar results happen on CH3 for an ESX-8GTmk1.

The above is with the output to the ADAT 7/8 to the ES-3 at 0db. Pushing it up to +6db yields this:

CH1 (ES-5):

1 = #1 on
2 = #2 on
4 = #3 on
8 = #4 on
16 = #5 on
32 = #6 on
64 = #1-6 all on (plus ALL of the CH3 lights on my ESX-8GTmk1)
128 = #7 on (ES-3mk4's channel 7 goes blue here, ESX-8GT goes dark)

I get the same output results on CH3 for the ESX-8GT, except for the issue of 1-6 being all on.

Any idea what this could be? I had everything up and running just fine the other day, just using the EX-8GT trigger outputs for Eurorack drum triggering, but then I added two LFO's to output to ADAT 1/2, and all of a sudden my drum triggers were off by one channel (it took pushing the volume to +6dB to get them back to the outputs where they should be).

It's almost like everything was totally fine with ONLY using an ES-5 Controller, until I routed an LFO to the ADAT 1/2 output, and everything went haywire on me.
DJMaytag
Also, an ESX-8CV Combiner is routed to ADAT 7/8 to my ES-3mk4. The ES-5 Controller outputs are routed to the 1/2 inputs of the 8CV combiner, with 1/2 set to thru. It’s set to ES-5 mode, channel 2, where I have an ESX-8CVmk2.

Twiddling the 1-8 offsets in the 8CV combiner seems to be working just fine, proportionally lighting up the lights on the 8CV as expected.
DJMaytag
Would a wonky connection on my ES-3 cause this problem? I just plugged a cable into output 1 on my ES-3, and al of a sudden my drums shifted output channels on my ESX-8GT, and a light turned on for output 1 on my ES-5.

Strange.
os
Weird. Are you using the provided 70mm 10-way cable to connect the ES-5 to the ES-3?
DJMaytag
os wrote:
Weird. Are you using the provided 70mm 10-way cable to connect the ES-5 to the ES-3?

I bought both modules used, so I’m using whatever was provided with them. I’ll have a closer look, as the ES-3mk4 is something I scored late last summer but haven’t hooked up until now (bought a new house last summer and had my modular dissembled, transitioning into a newer & bigger case).

That said, could shorting the output jack or causing it to break a solder joint be a potential culprit? I might have had a bit too much pressure on the jack in trying to reach it to a synth that I was trying to send an LFO to. That’s the LFO I mentioned trying to route out of Reason, when everything went to crap.
os
Sounds like you could've potentially lost the ground connection on the patch cable. If the synths are a long way apart they likely have different grounds, so the resulting floating connection would be an issue.
DJMaytag
os wrote:
Sounds like you could've potentially lost the ground connection on the patch cable. If the synths are a long way apart they likely have different grounds, so the resulting floating connection would be an issue.

The issue persisted AFTER I unplugged the cable. It wasn’t until (for shits n giggles) I tried plugging something back in to that socket that the trigger outputs suddenly shifted back to where they should be (after adjusting from +6dB down to 0dB). Everything seems to be right as rain now! smile
DJMaytag
On second thought... everything seems OK so long as I keep a cable plugged into any one of the ES-3’s 1-6 outputs. It’s a different cable than the one I used when the problem first appeared (needed that 36” cable elsewhere), but still... I seemingly can’t unplug it, or the outputs shift by +1. Very odd.
DJMaytag
os wrote:

Yes.

Is there any chance there's an issue with compatibility between an ES-3mk4 and an ES-5mk2? I saw a previous thread about needing to replace a capacitor on one of the two modules, but I thought that was for the ES-5mk3.

I'm messing about with just the ES-3mk4 and the ES-5mk2, and I'm not getting the expected lights with NOTHING else pugged into the ES-5, and no gain anywhere in the signal path:

1 = no lights on
2 = #1 on
4 = #2 on
8 = #3 on
16 = #4 on
32 = #5 on
64 = #6 on
128 = #7 on (ES-3mk4's channel 7 goes blue here)

Adding back in the ESX-8GT yields an identical pattern when plugged in to headers 2 & 3 on the ES-5mk2.

However, everything acts as expected when plugging in to header 4. It's mostly the same on header 5 BUT:

1 = lights on but only for a second when typing in 2 then 1 (0 to 1 doesn't work)
3 = 1 and 2 solidly lit, FWIW.

Interestingly, the ESX-8GT didn't light up AT ALL on header 6...
os
Quote:
I saw a previous thread about needing to replace a capacitor on one of the two modules, but I thought that was for the ES-5mk3.

This?

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2606457#2606457

Yes, that's just the ES-5 mk3.
DJMaytag
Turned off power to the system overnight, and it briefly acted as expected, except for 128 = lights 1-7 on. This is ONLY with the ES-3mk4 and ES-5mk2, and no expanders.

This is also happening in Cubase 9.5, so I think we can rule out Reason as a culprit, and determine it's a hardware issue somehow.
DJMaytag
os wrote:
Quote:
I saw a previous thread about needing to replace a capacitor on one of the two modules, but I thought that was for the ES-5mk3.

This?

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2606457#2606457

Yes, that's just the ES-5 mk3.

Yes, that looks like the thread I saw. No reports of issues with the ES-3mk4 and ES-5mk2?

I'm running out of things to check, as I was up late last night troubleshooting and moving the expanders onto different headers. I also went so far as to scope the levels and tones coming from the main two plugins (ES-5 Controller & ESX-8CV Combiner) that I'm trying to use, and there's no level issue nor any apparent tone difference that I can visualize.
DJMaytag
Turned the modular off for a while (~45 min), and tested it after some downtime:

ES-5:
1 = #1 on
2 = #2 on
4 = #3 on
8 = #4 on
16 = #5 on
32 = #6 on
64 = #7 on (ES-3mk4's channel 7 is increasingly brighter red, brightest here)
128 = #7 on (ES-3mk4's channel 7 goes blue here, ESX-8GT goes dark)

If I enter values less than 129, then I can continue to type in 1 for the ES-5 and get light #1 to light up. Once I start entering values higher than 128, then that's where I'm unable to perform the output test and get the lights to light up correctly.

EDIT TO ADD: After trying to send MIDI clock to gate 1/7, I was no longer able to get light 1 to light up correctly.
DJMaytag
GETTING CLOSER???

So I just had the ES-5 dangling out of the case a bit, and as soon as it was no longer touching the case, it was fine (1 = light 1 on, etc) or at least better. The issue of testing the value of 128 is still occurring, where like #7 on the ES-5 is still lit up, but channel 7 of the ES-3mk4 turns blue.

I think I may have tracked the above problem down to a loose 70mm cable on the ES-3mk4 end of the connection between the two modules. Pushing that in solidly meant that I could screw the ES-5 back into the case without being unable to light up output #1. I still can't get output #8 to light up properly...
DJMaytag
Morning test... modular was off overnight, and turned it on with the ES-5 Controller plugin output channel 1 set to 128. Light #8 on the ES-5 turned on (with ES-3's #7 lit blue), but after less than a minute... light #7 also lit up, and then light #8 faded out.

What. In. The. World???
DJMaytag
Fixed! It seems as is there is an issue with C10 on the ES-5mk2, at least when paired up with the ES-3mk4. I just swapped it out with a 56pF 50V 0603 SMT cap, and it's working as solid as a rock now.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1