MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Need Help Supplementing Minibrute 2S
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Need Help Supplementing Minibrute 2S
Joatmon
Hey all Super Nube here,

I have a Minibrute 2s and have been looking to expand with more eurorack modules. I am having a tough time as to which modules I could benefit from. I am looking to make more of a chill, down-tempo, trance type of experimental music. I've been looking at the Tiptop Mantis case due to the power and space vs the Rackbrute as someday I plan on making a standalone system without the 2s.

Some modules and equipment I have been thinking of include: Erbe-Verb, Morphagene, Radio Music and DrumBrute Impact. What would you recommend to add to this system to make it a more complete setup? My budget is about $2500-3000.

I currently have: Microbrute 2s, Korg Volca Beats, Flashback 2 delay pedal, Xenyx 502 mixer

I feel as if I am forgetting about utilities and am a little overwhelmed with other things that I could add.

Thanks for your help!
gringostar
Comedy answer: Maths, Clouds, Pressure Points, Rings, Buff Mult, Disting, Batumi, Rene, Wogglebug, Peaks.

Serious answer: Wait on getting into modular until you have a better understanding of what things like switches, attenuators, polarizers, logic, and adders do by reading threads and watching videos about them, and then once you understand what they do only then would I take the plunge.

I know this came off as being a dick, but I easily studied this stuff for over a year before getting my first module and reading up and watching videos about the un-sexy (but essential) modules and it's helped me immensely not only in planning how I could get to where I wanted to go but also how to best utilize my existing synths.
Joatmon
gringostar wrote:
Comedy answer: Maths, Clouds, Pressure Points, Rings, Buff Mult, Disting, Batumi, Rene, Wogglebug, Peaks.

Serious answer: Wait on getting into modular until you have a better understanding of what things like switches, attenuators, polarizers, logic, and adders do by reading threads and watching videos about them, and then once you understand what they do only then would I take the plunge.

I know this came off as being a dick, but I easily studied this stuff for over a year before getting my first module and reading up and watching videos about the un-sexy (but essential) modules and it's helped me immensely not only in planning how I could get to where I wanted to go but also how to best utilize my existing synths.

No it's not a dickish response at all. You're amazing. To be able to do all that research and retain it. Kudos to you. Plus, to figure out what you need? I salute you. I too have been researching and studying for over a year and a half. My problem is that Combat PTSD gets in the way and I have a hard time focusing on things that I have been learning. So, for all the studying I have been doing, plus fiddling with my 2S I somehow feel that I need something more but can't put my finger on exactly what. Muffwiggler seems to dictate that a Maths is the way to go however I am not sure that is what I need given the attenuators I have on the 2S. Like I said I've been studying. Now I am having trouble and that's why I came on here to ask for help. So, your non-dickish response has helped me see the light and that I should continue on my journey of research and discovery into the blackish abyss of nothingness for Nubes that has helped me thus far. Thanks for your help.
atl
Quote:
So, for all the studying I have been doing, plus fiddling with my 2S I somehow feel that I need something more but can't put my finger on exactly what.

Hey, I'm a noob that made the plunge a few weeks ago with considerably less eurorack-specific research time.

How are your patches going with the semi-modular portion? Are you playing with pushing the LFOs and envelopes? Using different waveforms on the oscillators?

Where I started in augmenting my (simpler) Grandmother was noting what was missing. There's one LFO and one envelope on my Moog, so Maths made some sense. The MiniBrute 2s seems to be richer with modulation sources, so maybe Maths isn't as necessary for you out of the gate.

Another of my early modules was the 4ms Dual Looping Delay, because I wanted to be able to turn my few sound sources into a wash of sound.

The point of it was that I got comfortable enough with using the instrument and pushing up against limits before adding another module. Have you pushed the re-patchable configurations in the MiniBrute as far as you'd like? What's missing?

Also, I started with the 6U RackBrute. It's beautiful, sturdy, affordable, and a size I'm happy with. It's worth considering.
ben_hex
I'll have video(s) on this specific subject coming very soon!
Muff McMuff
I am a noob too so this isn't expert advice. I would buy stuff that the Minibrute can't do and and you like the sound of. So the Erbe Verb, Morphagene and Radio Music would be great. I wouldn't spend the whole budget in one go. I would go step by step, explore the modules which then may help choose the next one. You are in the USA. There seems to be regular 10% 15% sales so perhaps only buy when a sale is running?

I bought nearly all my modules secondhand off Muffs, Reverb and Ebay. Its slower but the main advantage for me was if i didn't enjoy a module i could pretty much resell if for what i bought it for.
Joatmon
ben_hex wrote:
I'll have video(s) on this specific subject coming very soon!

Ben thanks for your input. I can'w wait for the videos!
Joatmon
atl wrote:

The point of it was that I got comfortable enough with using the instrument and pushing up against limits before adding another module. Have you pushed the re-patchable configurations in the MiniBrute as far as you'd like? What's missing?

I've gotten pretty comfortable with the 2S at least with the patching. I use the LFOs and attenuators quite frequently. I've moved away from making random techno to more slower compositions. Playing with the sequencer is quite fun however i've steered away from some of the menu diving as it can get to complicated for me and I just get stuck. I'm not against menus I'm just not that intuitive as I am with patching.
atl
Joatmon wrote:

I've gotten pretty comfortable with the 2S at least with the patching. I use the LFOs and attenuators quite frequently. I've moved away from making random techno to more slower compositions. Playing with the sequencer is quite fun however i've steered away from some of the menu diving as it can get to complicated for me and I just get stuck. I'm not against menus I'm just not that intuitive as I am with patching.

Cool. So what’s the “I wish” moment? If only I could do this much more by patching... or this sounds good, but it just wants something more...

If you’re ready, go ahead and get something, one or two of those modules you mentioned originally. But we can’t tell you what you need.

For me, it’s been clear what’s been missing at each step so far because I wanted to do something that was simply not possible with the semi-modular.
Jumbuktu
My first reaction was that the Drumbrute Impact will give you the biggest immediate boost towards a 'complete system'. However, I then read that you already have a Volca Beats. If you are happy with the Volca then maybe no need for the Impact. I have to say that IMO the Impact is one of the best value pieces of kit out there. I downsized from the original Drumbrute, and the Impact just seems like a better-sounding, overall more compact and useful machine that takes up less desk space.

Failing that, I think it would make sense to add a BruteRack next, perhaps with just one or two modules that you can afford. I wouldn't necessarily be looking at Maths, partly because I don't like it, but mainly because it wouldn't add much to your current setup. I think I would be looking for something in the sampling / audio space to add backdrops to your sequences and drums. Radio Music and Morphagene would be my weapons of choice.

Also, do you have outbaord gear to tie together the different parts of your system? A small external mixer with an FX send / return loop, plus a basic reverb would be my choice here (in fact, that's what I have - a Mackie 10-input mixer and Eventide Space reverb). This will give you enough channels to mix your main drums separately and pull in the modular and 2S outputs. Alternatively, you could make a stereo mixer one of your first modules in the RackBrute and feed everything through it.
Joatmon
Jumbuktu wrote:

Also, do you have outbaord gear to tie together the different parts of your system? A small external mixer with an FX send / return loop, plus a basic reverb would be my choice here (in fact, that's what I have - a Mackie 10-input mixer and Eventide Space reverb).

I'm thinking I could use the Impact to "upgrade if you will" the Volca Beats. Plus i think i have a short in one of the connections.

As far as a mixer its an old behringer 502. Deffinintly need something more. I was looking at the Mackie VLZ to expand. How does a mixer module connect to the speakers. I think that is one of my main questions as I am not familiar with mixer modules
lauprellim
I’m quite new to it all too, but felt the best way to get into euro was via MB2 and a MB2S. As you know both of them come with quite a lot of basic sounds but not a lot of “modifiers”. So my first thought was to buy modules that would transform the sound somehow: Pittsburgh Modular’s analogue delay (for all its many quirks, it makes some good textures), Magneto, 4ms SMR.

The other track is to add more generative modules such as Pittsburgh’s Primary Oscillator, Plaits, etc. (I am in no way affiliated with their company, they just happen to be down the road from me). The Brutes don’t have a lot of native percussion sounds (of course you can make them with the noise generator and envelope) but NE’s Basimilus Iteritas and Plonk really opened my eyes and ears.

I’ve found a clock multiplier/divider is useful with the Brutes (I use 4ms QCD), and the Intelligel Shifty does a great job of making harmonic textures out of the brutes’ sequencer (provided you have enough VCOs!)

One last thought — the filter in the brutes has been talked about a lot. It’s not bad, but I find it limiting. I went for Intellijel’s Polaris and found it to be absolutely wonderful. There are many other good options but I would consider adding a filter or two, as the Steiner-Parker might not provide enough timbral variation.

The previous poster who said “go slowly” is on the money. Get a few modules, spend time with them and you’ll learn so much!
Jumbuktu
[quote="Joatmon"]
Jumbuktu wrote:

How does a mixer module connect to the speakers. I think that is one of my main questions as I am not familiar with mixer modules

If you are using an outboard mixer, your main mix outputs go to your power amp which goes to the monitors (speakers).

Same thing with a modular mixer. Mixer modules that are designed to be 'end of chain' mixers (rather than utilities within the modular) generally have a line level output that can go straight to your power amp. Examples would be Pittsburgh System Interface, Xaoc Praga, WMD Performance mixer, Toppobrillo StereoMix etc. If you don't want to spend that much on a mixer module, you can use something like the Pittsburgh Outs to bring module levels into the right gain and impedance structure to feed your external amp.
Joatmon
Thanks everyone for your responses.

I ended up going shopping and grabbed a few things with help from the shop owner. I also got a few things on my own. Hope I didn't make any bad choices.

Here is what i have now.

Inju
FYI, the first thing you should buy is Audulus 3 or some other type of soft eurorack/modular synth and explore what each module should do. I currently just bought the Minibrute 2S with a 6u Rackbrute and it is amazing. You really need to see one to appreciate how well built the Rackbrute is.

Now please keep in mind a few things with your Minibrute 2S. The CV for the base note for the Minibrute 2S is not the standard used by eurorack. I had dismissed this, since I looked at the manual and saw you can set the base note in the command center with CV. However, for the life of me, the command center does not want to set the base note to match the CV for me. The command center seems very glitchy to me... very frustrating
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1