MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Under Construction
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Under Construction
Faustgeist
Greetings all,

I hope no one minds, but this post will document my evolving new music room. For a few years I've been enjoying patching and making noise in the sunroom. A well lit (duh) room where my computer lives and indeed I spend waaaay too much time. But it's a little cramped, especially with another dotcom case being born.

The motivation to grow this solarium was easy enough. Too much gear! Rockin' Banana!

To expand, I am enclosing the 2nd floor porch - adding 12x20ft of new room, which will allow all 5U, keyboards, and Euro + to live in the same place. Plus still have unobstructed windows for spiritual geomancy.

At the end of March the birth of a new Space-Music Chamber but with light coming through the curtains!

The room as it was a week ago :

The second system being assembled in the DIY room upstairs :

Porch from outside - pre-construction:

Room cleaned out for demo :

The crew is working fast. This is after 2 days - January 9th, 2018 :
JohnLRice
Wow! Driving Wow!

Awesome commitment to the modular cause, good sir! thumbs up
daveholiday
I assume there will be a party to celebrate the new room?

Give me a shout if you need any help moving or setting up. I would be happy to slide over some afternoon to help!
gregae
Yowsa! What a space that'll be! we're not worthy
Dave Peck
That is awesome! Having enough space to set up your gear properly is a wonderful thing. Several years ago I moved from an apartment (with all of my gear set up in a fairly large living room) to a large industrial loft conversion with my gear set up in a huge open space and I LOVE it!

Rockin' Banana!

In addition to the better acoustics and the extra elbow room and being able to locate every piece of gear exactly where you want it, I found that another huge benefit was having the ability to set up the gear away from all of the walls, so I can walk all the way around it and access everything from the BACK side of the gear. Changing connections on the back of the mixing console, re-patching stuff in the back of a 19" outboard rack, and various other tasks are now soooo much easier. If your new space will afford you this luxury, consider setting everything up with at least a couple of feet between the back of the gear and any walls.
Flareless
woah

Staggering! What a wonderful space for creativity applause thumbs up
Faustgeist
daveholiday wrote:

Darned right. Hope you like bourbon or craft beer! hihi Guinness ftw!

David Peck wrote:
Having enough space to set up your gear properly is a wonderful thing.

I am very much looking forward to this - the plan has been evolving for a long while. The modular may be against the walls somewhere, but I'm hoping to have the keyboards & rack gear in more open space. I am gonna have to learn good cable management. Heh!

As well, the sound will be of upmost importance. I've been reading and sketching speaker layouts - but need the room done to know what works best.

My objectives for the sound is not for recording, as that's all through wires... but for the enjoyment of deep wavelengths and clear mids. The windows are 100% not ideal - but it was the right choice for the house. It'll work in the end.

So much to figure out! I kinda love it.
~R
Rex Coil 7
Taking a wild shot at it, I'd guess you're adding about 180 ft/sq? Looks like roughly 12ft x 15ft, yea?

Good for you, man! thumbs up

we're not worthy

EDIT:
Faustgeist in his opening post wrote:
... To expand, I am enclosing the 2nd floor porch - adding 12x20ft of new room ...
Aw geez ... I can be such an idiot sometimes!

meh
umma gumma
looks fantastic!
thunderheart530
This is gonna be badass
hsosdrum
Wish I lived closer so I could join in the celebration. Looks like it'll be a wonderful space for creativity! thumbs up
boothnavy
Can't wait to see the final room!
sduck
Wow! Fantastic project! Dancing Star Trampoline Dancing Star
jkjelec
Sweeet! Go to town and be sure to show us photos when it's ready! Cheers Faustgeist! Guinness ftw!
daveholiday
Faustgeist wrote:
daveholiday wrote:

~R

WTF....no love for Milwalkee's Best and Old Crow? eek!
Faustgeist
daveholiday wrote:
Faustgeist wrote:
daveholiday wrote:

~R

WTF....no love for Milwalkee's Best and Old Crow? eek!

hihi Oh, don't worry malt liquor, Belgium sours and imperial IPAs all live on the same shelf in this house! wink
dan_k
How's the progress? It looks like a lovely room which I'm sure will only get lovelier.

Comfy furniture and a stack of books. Set up patches and let them evolve, sit read and ponder. Get up and tweak and go back to muse some more.
daveholiday
Just spent a few hours with Faustgeist up in Columbia SC! We had a lovely lunch, and spent some time talking and looking at gear. Unfortunately the house is still under construction so not much wiggling, but the room is coming along nicely.

@R Thanks again for the meet! We shall do it again soon...only this time with shit plugged in!!
Faustgeist
Great to finally meet ya Davidholiday. And oh, yeah - we need to pile gear in there and nerd out!

The work is almost done. Windows were delayed in fabrication because of snow but finally arrived and have been installed.

This pic shows the new area, fully enclosed and ready for paint.

Hopefully the LEDs will blink in three weeks,
~Robin
Rex Coil 7
Nice! Lots of natural lighting, wall outlets about every five feet, plenty of overhead lighting for night time patching.

Really nice space!!!

thumbs up
hsosdrum
Wow! That turned out even better than I anticipated from your earlier posts. Now I have a full-blown case of "creative-space envy"!

Congrats! applause
JohnLRice
Room is looking awesome! applause
Shakespeare
This is going to be epic. Can't wait to see how it turns out.
daveholiday
daveholiday wrote:
Just spent a few hours with Faustgeist up in Columbia SC! We had a lovely lunch, and spent some time talking and looking at gear. Unfortunately the house is still under construction so not much wiggling, but the room is coming along nicely.

@R Thanks again for the meet! We shall do it again soon...only this time with shit plugged in!!

So a quick update on the room!

So I spent the better part of the day helping Faustgeist and his lovely lady (with me in the pic) moving a few things into the new room and also hanging all the curtains today! We had a great time working/chatting and eating! Unfortunately, there was a setback with the tables so I wasn't able to help move gear into place. Yet another visit without playing with gear... d'oh!

Thankfully I had a wonderful host who is a treat to hang out with!

@R&L Thanks again, and we will have you guys down to Augusta soon!!
Flareless
woah applause
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2