MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Recommendation for a 4hp module - what do I need?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Recommendation for a 4hp module - what do I need?
mahler007
Hi,
Relatively new to the modular synth/Eurorack game, but am loving it.

I have been putting together a small-ish system, maximized for portability, live use, and interactivity with my electric guitar and pedal boards. I'm quite happy with everything I currently have, but I would like to get 1 more 4hp unit to complete the system.

I am curious if there is anything those who are far more experienced than I am might recommend after checking out what I have so far. I'm sure there are some useful things that my relative state of inexperience is keeping me from seeing: some VCAs? A clock divider? (I have the one on the µMIDI, but it is only 1 division), a drum machine?

Thanks for your time and input!

Cheers,
Andrew

lisa
If you don’t know, then another Disting is the answer. cool
mahler007
Thanks Lisa,
That's actually not a bad suggestion. I got the first one because I "don't know," and it seems like it could cover a lot of bases!

Cheers,
A
sko87pro
You mention pedal boards, have you thought about the Malekko Snd/Rtn?
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/malekko-heavy-industry-snd-rtn

I think that’s an amazing rack. I would want some kind of visual display of what’s going on. Buy a Ladik voltage meter?
http://ladik.ladik.eu/?page_id=101

I believe the second inverted output can be used to make Mother do a nice ring-mod with the great VC-mixer mom has on board. If you don’t want the inverter there’s a regular version of the meter (see Ladik M-011).

If you take Mother out of its case you’re going to lose the audio and headphone outputs. Unless you plan on using mom’s VCA out and mixing that through another module, you’ll need an output module. Lots of choices here, Ladik has them too.

EDIT: You’ll need power for your rack, right? 4MS Row Power 40 will do the job in 4HP.
budinis
seems like a very cool rack!!!

maybe: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/alm-busy-circuits-alm006-s-b-g

I think this is a important feature for guitar pedals:
Regulation/conditioning of CV modulation signals intended for pedal expression inputs.

or the Clep Diaz (Noise Engineering) as another modulation source (there are not soo many in the rack..)
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/noise-engineering-clep-diaz

or just a cheap attenuator (https://www.modulargrid.net/e/steady-state-fate-quad-atten) for the mother 32?!

Depends always on what you wanna do seriously, i just don't get it
Nino
e: nvmd
vromr
O’Tool oscilloscope? You might be able to cheat it in.
Which brings me to an inelegant question: you shouldn’t stagger modules where one overlaps slightly with its neighbors, but does anyone do this to eek out another ~2hp when they have almost-but-not-quite-enough space?
deftinwulf
vromr wrote:
O’Tool oscilloscope? You might be able to cheat it in.
Which brings me to an inelegant question: you shouldn’t stagger modules where one overlaps slightly with its neighbors, but does anyone do this to eek out another ~2hp when they have almost-but-not-quite-enough space?

Doing that has honestly never even occurred to me before, but I think the mismatched panel heights across my rack would bother me far too much to keep it that way, even if it wasn't "dangerous". hmmm.....
gentle_attack
0-Coast doesn't really pop into a case without some pretty heavy modifications. Maybe you know that but it's not a eurorack module, despite being on modulargrid as one.

You are majorly lacking utilities and modulation, and VCAs.

Maths is the #1 module for good reason, I'd take a look at that once you've gained space from pulling the 0-Coast.
missingtwin
As you asked for advice from those with far more experience, I suggest
you get a 4hp blank (or cut a piece of thick paper or something) and buy nothing.

Your answer shall reveal itself in time if you stick with it.

Your system looks great as it is.

Jam on it mahler!

Rockin' Banana!
mildheadwound
RCD, or some such.
qu.one
missingtwin wrote:
As you asked for advice from those with far more experience, I suggest
you get a 4hp blank (or cut a piece of thick paper or something) and buy nothing.

Your answer shall reveal itself in time if you stick with it.

Your system looks great as it is.

Jam on it mahler!

Rockin' Banana!

thumbs up
sko87pro
Quote:
an inelegant question ... stagger modules where one overlaps slightly with its neighbors .. does anyone do this to eek out another ~2hp when they have almost-but-not-quite-enough space?

I would be surprised if this fits, because overlapping panels will probably require >4mm and this will prevent the M3 or M2.5 screws from meeting the receiving nut in the rail. And yes, inelegant as you say.

For Mother-32, a buffered mult is a very good idea. Check out Intellijel for this.

+1 for Maths as a modulation toolbox, or try something like 3xMIA and add at least EG/ADSR, VCA, and LFO.

To the OP, how many of these modules do you own today? I would suggest starting smaller and learning more. It saves money and time. There's a good thread on MW about experiences in starting out, recommended reading. It features Mother-32 and other modules:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=209905
Rex Coil 7
mahler007 wrote:
Hi, ....Cheers,
Andrew
You needs two things.

A.) A real picture of your real synth (if it exists).

B.) a 4HP Blank.

cool
sko87pro
Quote:
seems like a very cool rack!!!

maybe: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/alm-busy-circuits-alm006-s-b-g

Check availability. I tried to buy the ADDAC 301 pedal interface and it was unobtainium for me. That’s another part of eurorack learning: finding parts can be tricky. I had a similar experience locating a small dual VCLFO (which I consider essential to a small system) - eventually I found the nice Eowave Dual BF Zone after some searching.

This is another reason to start small... and avoid disappointment!
gridrunner
I notice you don't have a multiple. Are you using stackable cables or a hub or anything? If not, a passive or buffered multiple will open up your patching possibilities immensely!
sko87pro
For Mother, a buffered mult (not passive) is important to be able to interface with other modules, eg VCOs. Frap Tools, Intellijel and Malekko are good options.
naturligfunktion
If you put your existing Disting in the bottom row you will have 8 hp in the middle (if the blind is 4hp). That would give you room for an optomix, which is a module I think this rack deserves.

Otherwise I think you should pick out the 0-coast and put in a Maths, as gentle_attack suggestion.
Blicken Synths
Erica Synths Pico DSP and then 1u gap for ventilation
ayruos
The Ferry from knob.farm looks like a good option to integrate with pedals if that's what you're going for.

Otherwise, missingtwin has nailed the query. The answer will reveal itself in time!
mahler007
Hi Everyone,
Thanks so much for your helpful replies. A pic of the setup as it is now is below. I got one of the Intellijel dual 104HP cases with the 80-watt power supply. Again, portability and quick/easy plug and play implementation of audio and MIDI are key for me.

As some have suggested, I think the wisest suggestion is to wait a bit and see what presents itself, and maybe revisit some of my other choices down the road, as creativity and necessity demand...

To a couple of specific points:

sko87pro wrote:
You mention pedal boards, have you thought about the Malekko Snd/Rtn?
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/malekko-heavy-industry-snd-rtn

I think that’s an amazing rack. I would want some kind of visual display of what’s going on. Buy a Ladik voltage meter?
http://ladik.ladik.eu/?page_id=101

Thanks Sko87Pro. As for a visual display, I was planning on getting the Intellijel Zeroscope, which they just released a couple of days ago. It's one of their 1U utility modules. This should give me some insight as to what's going on under the hood!

https://intellijel.com/shop/eurorack/1u/zeroscope-1u/

Thanks for the suggestion about the Malekko Send/Return. Most of my egtr/pedal board concerns are related to keeping things sync'd between my loopers, time-based effects, and the Eurorack, and I have that pretty much squared away via a MIDI clock generator and active splitter on my pedal board. Trading audio between the 2 systems is an awesome idea that I had hoped to explore more one day, and this is a very elegant solution. The Ferry from Knob Farm also look really cool!

gentle_attack wrote:
0-Coast doesn't really pop into a case without some pretty heavy modifications. Maybe you know that but it's not a eurorack module, despite being on modulargrid as one.

You are majorly lacking utilities and modulation, and VCAs.

Maths is the #1 module for good reason, I'd take a look at that once you've gained space from pulling the 0-Coast.

Thanks Gentle Attack. As for the 0-Coast, I managed to get it into the case with pretty much no modification (aside from the alternate faceplate, which does not affect the size). One has to leave a 3-4hp space to the left of the unit to accommodate the barrel plug. I bought a blank 4hp panel and filed it down 1-2mm with a metal file. This gave me a little extra space in the row, and I was able to fit everything else in without a problem.

As for utilities and modulation, yes, this is what I was thinking. I was hoping that between the Disting, Batumi, Flame Knob Recorder, and the NanoRand I might be covered, but I know one can never have "enough"!

I definitely want to explore Maths one day. I may very well have to make room for it somehow when I'm grown up enough.

Anyway, thanks again for all your input — these are some great suggestions that I will think about as I move along. I have a lot to learn yet, but I did a lot of homework before putting this rig together, and have been immensely enjoying the sound worlds I have been creating with it. I have a feeling it is going to provide me with years of fertile music-making and learning, which I'm looking forward to.

Cheers,
Andrew

ersatzplanet
Since you say that playing live is one of your goals, though not a sexy module, a VERY useful one for live gigging is either of the Synthwerks LAMP series of modules. -

Lighting in clubs can sometime be pretty problematic.
akrenaut
+1 on another disting. Will be the most bang for your buck in 4hp.
grep
If you really want to fill that hole, I would consider a MI Links.
Buffered Mult, precision adder and averaging mixer and it is fairly cheap.
Shakespeare
grep wrote:
If you really want to fill that hole, I would consider a MI Links.
Buffered Mult, precision adder and averaging mixer and it is fairly cheap.

Was just about to say the same thing. I'm about to get a second for my 9U... or maybe two more to have one in each row...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2