MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Polychaining 2 Dreadbox Nyx?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Polychaining 2 Dreadbox Nyx?
tomatoKetchup
Hello,

According to the Nyx's manual it is possible to polychain several Nyx together, but there's absolutely no info or demo on the Internet. As anyone tried it?

Also I was reflecting on such a setup and thought of something even more amazing. It may be possible to create a stereophonic version of a 2-voice PolyNyx (name patent pending... smile ). This is all thought experiment and needs to be tested (someone with 2 Nyx out there?).

Here's how: the Nyx has an input jack at the back, but funnily enough it also doubles as a dry output (reverb bypassed). With that in mind:

Now that's nice in theory, but where it bugs me is that, likewise, the Nyx 2 dry out should also send its own sound to Nyx 1 through the same (grey) cable, and I doubt that one single unbalanced cable can carry signal in 2 directions at once.

Anyone knows what would be the result of this setup? Or even better, does anyone have access to 2 Nyx and can test it out?
IR
Seems like a pretty dumb idea, you'd only get the effect on the first two oscillators, so when you play chords you'd only get the two lower notes effected.

If you're into that you might as well turn the mix all the way up on the reverb.

The normal way would be to just use the effect on the last one in mono.

I bet you don't really need another Nyx, you could probably chain it to an Erebus as well.
SingIt
I have been looking around for this synth and can’t track one down. Seems like its all about the Erebus now.
tomatoKetchup
IR wrote:
Seems like a pretty dumb idea, you'd only get the effect on the first two oscillators, so when you play chords you'd only get the two lower notes effected.

Well, in theory, Nyx 2 would also send its analogue signal through its dry OUT and into Nyx 1 IN (grey arrow in reverse), resulting in a similar effect as Nyx 1.

In practice I imagine physical world limitations would result in the signal being only allowed to go one way, so the end result is more likely that Nyx 2 voice will not travel into Nyx 1 and will thus only be heard in the R channel (albeit still effected by its own reverb section).

Still quite curious to try it out. And if that's indeed not possible, you could replace the 2nd Nyx by the WL Splash euro module, but losing the 4-voice paraphony along the way unfortunately. :(
IR
tomatoKetchup wrote:
Well, in theory, Nyx 2 would also send its analogue signal through its dry OUT and into Nyx 1 IN (grey arrow in reverse), resulting in a similar effect as Nyx 1.

Who made up the theory, some random dude on a forum? I looked in the manual and it says to use a mono TS jack on both the input and output, which would exclude the possibility of that.

Nor does the diagram in the manual show any kind of output before the reverb. Nor could I find anything about the input being used as an output in the manual, can you tell me what page to look at?
tomatoKetchup
IR wrote:
Nor does the diagram in the manual show any kind of output before the reverb. Nor could I find anything about the input being used as an output in the manual, can you tell me what page to look at?

True, there's no documentation whatsoever about that. But it's proved and tested (by Nick Batt and then by myself). Maybe that wasn't intended by Dreadbox, maybe it could be some sort of a leakage of the signal. Might contact Dreadbox about that to find out actually.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1