MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Avalon Bassline
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Avalon Bassline
anselmi
yep, I know there is a long thread about it, but if I´m going to buy one this year, could an experienced use just list the drawbacks (bugs, noise, sync problems, whatever) that this machine still have?

for owners/users of both this and the RE-303, is there any significative differences between them respect to a TB-303 emulation? (I know the extras on the Avalon)

Thanks
DiscoDevil
Resonance knob crackles - This sucks. It only crackles with the internal filter. Using a cartridge eliminates it

Responds to all program changes on all midi channels - This also sucks. I have to use DIN sync with mine or it switches patterns every time I send a PC to another synth.

Highest "C" does not make sound when triggered from internal sequencer but if you send it the same note via MIDI, it sounds so not sure what's up with that.

That's about it. It's an amazing box. My 303 has collected dust since I got it. It sounds pretty much exactly like the 303 in emulation mode but offers so much more.
anselmi
DiscoDevil wrote:
Resonance knob crackles - This sucks. It only crackles with the internal filter. Using a cartridge eliminates it

Responds to all program changes on all midi channels - This also sucks. I have to use DIN sync with mine or it switches patterns every time I send a PC to another synth.

Highest "C" does not make sound when triggered from internal sequencer but if you send it the same note via MIDI, it sounds so not sure what's up with that.

That's about it. It's an amazing box. My 303 has collected dust since I got it. It sounds pretty much exactly like the 303 in emulation mode but offers so much more.

thanks!
good to know about how close the sound is to the original, and better yet a comment from somebody who have the real 303 too.

I don´t care bout the high C note but the other issues seems to be very annoying

how good is the midi sync and transport? did you experienced freeze?
bimbom
i didn't have issues on resonance knob.

program change was an issue , partly because theres a button combo to turn it off , but it doesn't work.so i also mostly used din sync from digitakt.

i think there are some pattern chain issues too.

and a few users have had issues with filters not doing anything (no sound when turned on) .. i think i read somewhere it might've been a loose connection inside.

i did sometimes encounter weirdness with the 16step lights not updating very quickly , not properly showing notes on/off .. i sold mine a while ago so i'm not sure how i used to create that ...

i didnt care about high C , it wasnt there , i couldnt use it , i adapted .its mostly noticeable when transposing melodies and a note might vanish when its up high.
bmot
It’s a pity there are these niggles because I would have considered getting an Avalon, the sound and added features are fantastic. Instead, having read through the various woes and frustrations of Avalon owners on the main Avalon Thread (and elsewhere) I went with an RE-303. I just want things to work as they’re supposed to.
ngarjuna
1. There are major bugs with pattern chaining. Has been a while since I messed with it but it mostly doesn't work as a feature. This is supposed to be addressed in a firmware update but I've been hearing about said update since 2017 and it still hasn't materialized.
2. I used to say "No big deal about high C." Now? Kind of miss it all the time. The reason it sounds via MIDI/etc. but not via the internal sequencer is because Abstrakt intentionally disabled that note in the sequencer because of how "out of tune" that note is. Kind of annoying but should also be fixable via update. I've seen enough users beg for this feature that I've reserved some hope that Abstrakt could be convinced to change their mind in some upcoming mythical update.
3. The res pot crackles have affected some users but certainly not all. All my pots are fine so far and the thing is built really solid.
4. Never used program change or MIDI at all because it's got CV/gate inputs and outputs plus DIN sync for use with my other gear. The I/o is robust (individual osc outs, filter CV, etc).
5. The internal sequencer is a big reason to go Avalon. It really leaves pitch & time input in the dust for me (although that's obviously also available for those times it's preferred)
6. I have one filter card, the R:OTA. I've made occasional use of it, a cool patch here and there but ultimately it hasn't done much for me. Is it the card itself (trimmers on board though I haven't messed with them yet)? Not sure. I've never really heard any great demos with any of the cards so I haven't invested in any others. Abstrakt keeps threatening to release another synth or even a drum machine with the same cart system which could be cool but that seems like it's a ways off if it happens

I might be buying a second when the fourth batch actually shows up, that's how "bad" the issues have been for me.
anselmi
ngarjuna wrote:
1. There are major bugs with pattern chaining. Has been a while since I messed with it but it mostly doesn't work as a feature. This is supposed to be addressed in a firmware update but I've been hearing about said update since 2017 and it still hasn't materialized.
2. I used to say "No big deal about high C." Now? Kind of miss it all the time. The reason it sounds via MIDI/etc. but not via the internal sequencer is because Abstrakt intentionally disabled that note in the sequencer because of how "out of tune" that note is. Kind of annoying but should also be fixable via update. I've seen enough users beg for this feature that I've reserved some hope that Abstrakt could be convinced to change their mind in some upcoming mythical update.
3. The res pot crackles have affected some users but certainly not all. All my pots are fine so far and the thing is built really solid.
4. Never used program change or MIDI at all because it's got CV/gate inputs and outputs plus DIN sync for use with my other gear. The I/o is robust (individual osc outs, filter CV, etc).
5. The internal sequencer is a big reason to go Avalon. It really leaves pitch & time input in the dust for me (although that's obviously also available for those times it's preferred)
6. I have one filter card, the R:OTA. I've made occasional use of it, a cool patch here and there but ultimately it hasn't done much for me. Is it the card itself (trimmers on board though I haven't messed with them yet)? Not sure. I've never really heard any great demos with any of the cards so I haven't invested in any others. Abstrakt keeps threatening to release another synth or even a drum machine with the same cart system which could be cool but that seems like it's a ways off if it happens

I might be buying a second when the fourth batch actually shows up, that's how "bad" the issues have been for me.

great resume! I was following your posts in the other threads
thanks
DiscoDevil
Even with the frustrating issues, I would highly recommend the Avalon. I use it on just about every track and it's a big part of my live performances. Awesome piece of hardware.
Shrigg
Has anyone compared the Avalon to the TT-303 v2? The TT-303 seems to be a good value and has some great programming features

https://www.cyclone-analogic.fr/en/34-bass-bot-tt-303-0701980493430.ht ml
stalfosia
I'll also just chime in an say I never had a problem with the resonance pot.
Very smooth for the year I owned one.

:: Side note ::
After using a external ROTA filter cart for awhile, my Avalon starting misbehaving. I think there was a loose internal component that was triggered after cart use. So, my Avalon stopped making sound altogether (other than some pops & clicks from the sequencer notes) - cart or no cart inserted.
Brian took my Avalon back and repaired it at no cost to me.
It took awhile to get in contact with him, and for him to return my unit, but eventually it came back to as "new".

Build quality is 100% amazing. It's a tank.

Sound quality is amazing too. For a few months I had both my original TB-303 & the Avalon to compare side by side. Following the directions in the manual, the Avalon could sound exactly like my original TB-303. My ears are decently tuned to the nuances too. I'm a tough critic. Many other hardware "acid boxes" haven't lasted long in my studio over the 10+ years of making that type of music. I sold my TB-303 and kept the Avalon.

I eventually sold the Avalon for a few reasons, but main reason was I'm taking a different direction sound-wise...
CF3
I’ve had 2 Avalons. I didn’t have a problem with the Resonance knob on either one. In general, I didn’t have any issues with Avalons.

The filter carts REALLY sound good and are worth tracking down. I had all of them. I wish Brian would do a “full” synth based around those carts.
DiscoDevil
I have the SEM cart and use it pretty much exclusively due to the crackling on the resonance with the internal filter. The SEM cart sounds amazing to me.
CF3
DiscoDevil wrote:
I have the SEM cart and use it pretty much exclusively due to the crackling on the resonance with the internal filter. The SEM cart sounds amazing to me.

Seriously. All the carts sound incredible. It's uncanny! If you're reading this Brian... Please do a full mono synth based around the carts. Guinness ftw!
computer controlled
The only issue i've had is with the scratchy reso pot. I don't ever send PCs to anything, so this bug doesn't bother me. I also don't throw my sequences up super high, so the high C bug doesn't bother me either. I've only ever chained 2 patterns together, and have had no issues with this. It's sync is solid, and have no issues with freezes or anything like that. The sequencer is killer, and the random pattern function is a lot of fun. They really are worth the money.
mor4sso
resurrecting this as I really want one. would you guys that have one trust its reliability live? the UI seems made for it and seems great.

sounds good, good i/o, filter carts are a good idea, just really like it overall.

alternatively i'm just going to get a tb-03, i really liked it more than i thought i would, but i rather have the avalon w00t
ngarjuna
mor4sso wrote:
resurrecting this as I really want one. would you guys that have one trust its reliability live? the UI seems made for it and seems great.

sounds good, good i/o, filter carts are a good idea, just really like it overall.

alternatively i'm just going to get a tb-03, i really liked it more than i thought i would, but i rather have the avalon w00t

The only issue I’ve had is with pattern chaining, it’s broken outside of certain banks (don’t even recall which ones work, sorry). But it’s always broken in the same way, it’s not like it will work sometimes and then let you down live. Other than that the OS has been perfectly well behaved for me.

I’ve played live sets with mine. It’s probably the last piece of gear I’d be worried about in my setup (Eurorack, iPad, sometimes a laptop, etc).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1