MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New Strymon ... Echorec? Volante!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Author New Strymon ... Echorec? Volante!
hippo1
...sigh. Looks like another purchase.

Strymon is the one exception to my 'Must be analog' whingeing; their ability to code/process is seemingly unmatched in the hardware world. In my quest for a 'hardware-only' setup, the Deco and BigSky earned a place in the fold. And I'm almost glad I waited on an El Cap; this now seems to fill that particular void very nicely. Looking forwards to it!
suboptimal
dubonaire wrote:
Did you watch the Peter Celi video? Actually, I think Peter Celi does the best gear videos around.

Just watched it and I have to agree, his approach is excellent. No bullshit, very clear, and hits on everything.

This is right down my alley: nice clean UI with tons of depth and playability, and almost no hidden stuff. They'll sell a lot of these, I imagine. (Including to me. I've preordered, something I almost never do.)
MrBiggs
Coming out of the fog here for this Volante thread. I've watched those Pete Celi videos like a dozen times each and keep trying to not like this device. I have all three of the big Strymon boxes, and I have an El Capistan. So between the looper on the Timeline, the SOS on the El Cap, and the "Magneto" machine on the Big Sky, I feel like what I got does most of what this does.
But the reverse feature on the SOS looping suddenly made me pay attention. That would be pretty slick. And to be honest, I really love the Magneto machine on the Big Sky, and would love to have more of that. And the tape head buttons, as in being able to turn them on and off with independent control over the playback/feedback of each head, well that kinda makes me feel funny down there.
So I'm wondering, thinking about Celi's comment at the beginning of the video, can this pretty much replace the El Cap completely? It's got the tape crinkly and the flutter. It's got the SOS looper. It's got the multiple heads and the spring reverb. But it doesn't have the fixed and single and multi head choices, does it? I'm not sure I care.
(I have to admit as well that the "studio" type delay on the Volante does nothing for me, from what I've seen. What the F is "studio" anyway? It seems to just be a cleaner tape delay?)
suboptimal
I have to say, Strymon is setting a high bar by announcing a product and then releasing it quickly after its announcement. Instead of dicking around with teasing announcements six months before in order to engage in some bullshit guerrilla marketing, they just announce and release. Quite refreshing to not deal with a company that is run by people who have had too much of the marketing cleverness kool aid (looking at you, Elektron).
Franktree
blinosynth wrote:
Another delay?? I wish they comed up with a reverb pedal or eurorack module

Agree that I would love to see them with another eurorack module. Still, the Volante looks pretty awesome.
indexofmetals
taylor12k wrote:
looks like the looping is addressed under the "sound on sound" section. it doesn't seem like a full overdubbing looper.. but more a "capture the delays that are currently happening" and loop that.. but with no ability to overdub punch in/out such as on a dedicated looper.... i could be (and hope that i am) wrong though...

i think the sound on sound works like on the magneto, which is aiming for the Echoplex sound on sound as it also had two minute max time.

It's got the head buttons like on the magneto but repeat tap buttons as well which is interesting.

If it can do the tube preamp swell type reverb that the Echorec does so well then I may have to get this.
suboptimal
Liking the sounds I'm getting from this quite a bit. The interface is really nice and immediate. Lots of variety. Mostly have spent some time running Minilogue through it for those dub techno chords (the sounds are predictably very nice, imo). The input drive is a sweet bonus.

Adding this to my system sort of broke my studio. When I set it up I was having terrible noise problems and very low levels. Spent hours hashing out what could be the problem, figured out that it's an old (and never very good) patch bay, so I had to break down and rewire everything. Fucking hardware. The end result is a much more streamlined arrangement and a huge pile of cables that I have to throw into a box or something, so I suppose it was worth it...
anarchy4bits
MrBiggs wrote:
Coming out of the fog here for this Volante thread. I've watched those Pete Celi videos like a dozen times each and keep trying to not like this device. I have all three of the big Strymon boxes, and I have an El Capistan. So between the looper on the Timeline, the SOS on the El Cap, and the "Magneto" machine on the Big Sky, I feel like what I got does most of what this does.
But the reverse feature on the SOS looping suddenly made me pay attention. That would be pretty slick. And to be honest, I really love the Magneto machine on the Big Sky, and would love to have more of that. And the tape head buttons, as in being able to turn them on and off with independent control over the playback/feedback of each head, well that kinda makes me feel funny down there.
So I'm wondering, thinking about Celi's comment at the beginning of the video, can this pretty much replace the El Cap completely? It's got the tape crinkly and the flutter. It's got the SOS looper. It's got the multiple heads and the spring reverb. But it doesn't have the fixed and single and multi head choices, does it? I'm not sure I care.
(I have to admit as well that the "studio" type delay on the Volante does nothing for me, from what I've seen. What the F is "studio" anyway? It seems to just be a cleaner tape delay?)

....same thoughts:)....

as i understand, the studio mode is a emulation of a clean studio tape machine. maybe modification of the DECO algorithm hmmm..... ...
Nutritional Zero
Anyone succeeding in getting Volante to take MIDI clock?
snercle
Anyone know if you can get copicat-like sounds out of it? I love that combination of cheap tape heads, crude tape transport and mid-frequency warbling noises. Their echorec seemed to get somewhere close to it, but maybe the extra controls on this will do the trick. spinning
MrBiggs
Went and got the thing. Figured if I love it and if it does the El Cap thing I could unload El Cap but who am I kidding? The volante seems like it will live on the desk with the synths and the Motu 828, and the El Cap will live on the pedal board with occasional forays to the desk to play with its big brother. Non-synced looping will be HOT.
My question about overlap is answered with a “pretty much.” It doesn’t get as dirty as the El Cap, I don’t think, and i like the ramped switch from 7ips to 15ips on the El Cap better than the Volante’s instant switch.

As always, the answer is both. Dead Banana
cdc3jj
I have the Timeline and have been very close to grabbing an El Cap for some time. Is there anything the Volante can do that a TL/El Cap combo can not?
suboptimal
I'd say a key distinguishing feature of the Volante is the interesting control over the 4 taps. There may be a bit more tap mojo in the El Cap, but of course you don't have the MIDI capability there.
Jason Brock
I sold my El Capistan a while ago because I just preferred analog BBD pedals for normal delay sounds. But often I've missed the Sound on Sound feature...so I've ordered a Volante. It has more looping time, and the addition of Reverse mode seems really cool. Are there any other functional differences between this and the El Cap regarding SoS?
vav
I have both the Cap and the Volante. They're quite different to my ears, and i use them for different stuff: i keep the Cap on the floor next to the amp, and i keep the Volante on the desk next to the mixer.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Page 2 of 2