MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

how to get that metallica bass?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author how to get that metallica bass?
sizone
that, like, oddly characterless, speaker shake woooom woooom woooom kinda sound like on master of puppets and and justice for all.

just equing off everything above, like, 300hz or is there some magic thrash metal production technique I'm unaware of?
DickMarker
Haha I love MOP and JFA but don't associate them with bass, especially JFA.

Think the technique on Justice was turn Jason down and turn Lars' kick drum up.

There's a bit of wooom wooom on Master and you can also just about make out the mids on the bass so I think you're not far off in your assessment, with a smidge of mids (can't really tell if from a mic'd cab or DI) added for a bit of clarity.
felixer
is there any bass on metallica records? seems to be very far away in the mix. one of the reasons i never liked them ...
sizone
yeah, it's not exactly bass. it's... you know that sound when someone has a really shitty car stereo and they're playing it loud and they're kinda far away and all you hear is a kind of bwaaaan. like it's not even the bass that you hear, it's the bass resonating the speaker enclosure you hear. that is metallica bass.
DeepSeaDriver
Run it through a crappy reverb on full wet and roll off all the highs and boost the worst sounding low frequency, then mute it
ignatius
probably some interviews somewhere that talk abotu the recording process for those albums. i can't recall who the engineer/producer was but i'm sure google will lead you to some things.

i think for JFA you need to have a bus fall over on you then jason newsted's phone rings.

after JFA they got pretty dumb w/recording. apparently they spent 3 weeks just setting up lars' drums for the black album.. then replaced all the sounds w/samples or something.
craigie77
the technique applied for JFA ( from the producers mouth) was on request to
"mix the bass till its barely audible, then turn it down 6db"....

good ol lars again… and Steve Thompson sti9ll gets shit for it to this day

and the masters have over 250 takes on the album, so no danger of mixing it like it was origionally

apparently Newstead absolutely killed it
DickMarker
ignatius wrote:

i think for JFA you need to have a bus fall over on you then jason newsted's phone rings.

You know it's sad but true.
craigie77
Kirk and Cliff cut a deck of cards that night to see who would get the bunk at the front of the bus..

Cliff won with an ace of spades....spooky eh!
DickMarker
craigie77 wrote:
Kirk and Cliff cut a deck of cards that night to see who would get the bunk at the front of the bus..

Cliff won with an ace of spades....spooky eh!

Yikes!

Many years ago, whilst travelling through Spain, a friend and I hooked up with some Italians in San Sebastian - they had almost no English and we had almost no Italian, but one if them had a slightly sloppy tattoo of Cliff's face on his arm and we spent a thoroughly fun, drunken evening communicating almost solely with the phrases "Cliff Burton", "Metallica" and "Metal up your ass", punctuated by copious throwing of the horns.
gringostar
Seems relevant to this thread

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1