MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Propellerhead Software porting Rack Extensions to Hardware
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author Propellerhead Software porting Rack Extensions to Hardware
Kummer
Just read on Synthtopia that the Props are going to try and help software developers release physical versions of their Rack Extensions.

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2019/01/09/propellerhead-announces-p lan-to-turn-rack-extension-virtual-instruments-into-hardware/

This could be really cool, I would love a hardware version of any of the Prop's Instruments (Subtractor!), maybe in a volca size case (would need to be a little larger). Connect to a computer to use as a physical controller for the software. Would be awesome

What do you guys think?
DigitalNativeDunce
Imagine a patchable Complex-1 desktop!!
Kummer
DigitalNativeDunce wrote:
Imagine a patchable Complex-1 desktop!!

That would be cool... a real Redrum would be the shit too
Panason
The problem with software is that it can be pirated so you get too many people with a laptop competing for an audience, saturation and consequent market decline.
Kummer
Panason wrote:
The problem with software is that it can be pirated so you get too many people with a laptop competing for an audience, saturation and consequent market decline.

Are you referring to Reason as a product?

I know Propellerhead was hurting for money, I think that's why they allowed another company to invest (cash infusion).

I hope Reason never goes away, I LOVE it, it was the first bit of computer software I ever used and got me into making music. Reason rewired through Live is my thing
DJMaytag
I don't think I read the release the same way.

It sounded to me like Props is working with a third-party to provide a hardware platform that RE's could be loaded onto, similar to how Roland's Plug-Outs can be used on the System-1/1m/8 hardware.

If that's what they're doing, that's a really nice way for an RE developer to have an added bonus to their instruments/FX, being able to host them on hardware. Props has to be doing everything they can to help foster creative RE development now that VST's are available within Reason.
Panason
Kummer wrote:
Panason wrote:

I know Propellerhead was hurting for money, I think that's why they allowed another company to invest (cash infusion).

Well I was musing in general. I guess market saturation is a problem for Propellerheads and other companies. Putting the software into hardware boxes prevents piracy and thus cuts out masses of people from being able to use it, which reduces market saturation. It would be nice if there was less electronic music being churned out by every guy/girl and their dog on a laptop with pirated software. This may sound elitist but quality is better than quantity cool

tl:dr; hardware is good for the market, so long as it works as promised. it is the unreliability and inadequate tech of most music hardware (given its high cost) that drove people away from it in the fist place.
Luap
Panason wrote:
Kummer wrote:
Panason wrote:

Well I was musing in general. I guess market saturation is a problem for Propellerheads and other companies. Putting the software into hardware boxes prevents piracy and thus cuts out masses of people from being able to use it, which reduces market saturation. It would be nice if there was less electronic music being churned out by every guy/girl and their dog on a laptop with pirated software. This may sound elitist but quality is better than quantity cool

tl:dr; hardware is good for the market, so long as it works as promised. it is the unreliability and inadequate tech of most music hardware (given its high cost) that drove people away from it in the fist place.

Piracy has not been an issue for Propellerhead software in several years. Rack extensions have never been cracked, and neither has Reason since V6.
KittenVillage
I am hoping they able to pair the ELK system up to the RE format. I think a hardware module with a small screen that is able to interface with their license server (ala Balance or the Ignition Key) would be best. To me, the ideal format would be something in eurorack format that could load combinators. Simple, 4 cv in, 4 knobs, 4 buttons, small screen for accessing the combi's programmer. Then you'd still build combinators in Reason, but have another device you could run them on... and one's investment in REs pays off.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 1