MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Help me pick a primary osc
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Help me pick a primary osc
thelowerrhythm
Greetings, humans. I'm in the home stretch of achieving some goals with the instrument I'm building and I'm looking to add an oscillator with a little more capability, shall we say, to act as a central focus for sound generation. Currently I run three Noise Reap Bermudas and a Noise Reap Mino, which do an incredible job bobbing and weaving and whatnot, creating some great complex timbres. I'm really into noisy drones and stacking complex waveforms to build them. I've been eyeballing a Pittsburgh Primary Oscillator for a while, but then I got a whiff of the Double Helix and decided to maybe rework the budget to put a little more into a more complex oscillator for this role. Sputnik's complex dual oscillator also looks cool. Not as interested in the DPO (or willing to spend that much). $400~ is kind of a hard limit, but I'd be overjoyed to find something interesting on the cheaper end. Not really into wavetable, I should note.

If there's a threat comparing the Primary to the Double Helix, I'd love to see it. Most of the demos seem to be either really basic, or patched up in some kind of chaotic mess that I can't make heads or tails of.

I'm also way open to other options. I keep finding new stuff every day, which is really fun.
im a pretty big fan of plaits. its decidedly digital, but it has like 12 different oscillators along with a built in lpg and eg. if you are doing droney stuff, ive always enjoyed rings for this. ive actually been eyeing the pittsburgh primary also though. sounds good in the demos ive heard.
thelowerrhythm
I'm not opposed to digital, but I think what turns me off about stuff like Plaits, Piston Honda, Braids, etc. (all different beasts, but yeah) is that most of what I enjoy about modular is the ability to try and craft those kinds of complex sounds from simpler ones. Hooray, I spent six hours making something this other module could spit out instantly, lol. It is what it is, and I'll speak to my psychiatrist about it. (hides)

There doesn't seem to be a lot of choice in this price range as far as what I'm aiming for, so I really appreciate the suggestion.
for sure, i feel ya on that one. ive got two plaits currently. ive been using the percussion algorithms a lot, and the mode that lets you do chords is wonderful in my otherwise monophonic system. they are like my audio swiss army knives. its cool because you have a ton sound options, but they are dead simple to operate. very quick to squeeze out ideas with, but there is enough control available to make them interesting when you really get patching.
cptnal
If you're into building sounds from scratch why not roll your own with a couple of simple oscillators and wave folder? A mixing bipolar VCA would also go a long way.
dekemcculo
I don't own these, but I've personally been interested in instruo's oscillators. they have a complex oscillator (CS-L) which there's been threads on here comparing to DPO (and it's out of your price range... and mine lol), but I'm really intrigued by the smaller TS-L which has a sub and wavefolding capability and a nice sound. they also have one called Tona which is a bit cheaper and seems to have nice tone and gentler wavefolding abilities too smile
thelowerrhythm
cptnal wrote:
If you're into building sounds from scratch why not roll your own with a couple of simple oscillators and wave folder? A mixing bipolar VCA would also go a long way.

Definitely, that's pretty much where I'm at. Throw in a few crossfades, AM, FM, ringmod, pan mod, etc. I suppose I'm just looking for something along those lines that's a bit more powerful on its own. Free up / add more resources. It'd also be nice to have a module I can pop on over to a travel case and get a lot of that mileage without having to bring another entire rack of stuff.

Note: I don't travel anywhere. I'm just trying to pile on the justifications. w00t
Blicken Synths
thelowerrhythm wrote:
cptnal wrote:

Definitely, that's pretty much where I'm at. Throw in a few crossfades, AM, FM, ringmod, pan mod, etc. I suppose I'm just looking for something along those lines that's a bit more powerful on its own. Free up / add more resources. It'd also be nice to have a module I can pop on over to a travel case and get a lot of that mileage without having to bring another entire rack of stuff.

Note: I don't travel anywhere. I'm just trying to pile on the justifications. w00t

The Cs-L is out of your price range but it can pretty much do all those things. The Ts-L is a much smaller single osc unit. You might want to look at the Tona. Has an inbuilt wavefolder.

If you're not against digital, maybe the noise engineering Loquelic Iteritas?
lisa
Klavis Twin Waves is great if you want simple building blocks but loads of function for cheap in hp and $. Dual oscillator in 8hp. woah
mokomo
WMD Synchrodne & expander!
thelowerrhythm
dekemcculo wrote:
I don't own these, but I've personally been interested in instruo's oscillators. they have a complex oscillator (CS-L) which there's been threads on here comparing to DPO (and it's out of your price range... and mine lol), but I'm really intrigued by the smaller TS-L which has a sub and wavefolding capability and a nice sound. they also have one called Tona which is a bit cheaper and seems to have nice tone and gentler wavefolding abilities too smile

I hadn't noticed the Tona before, I do like that folding. Very mellow!
Xtheunknown
A used Dixie plus used Warps might be an interesting combination for your budget. You get true analog FM, multiple simultaneous waveforms, hard synch and soft synch (of the Dixie) coupled with cross fading, AM, ring modulation (2 flavors), bit shifting, wavefolding, through zero FM (TZFM) and a vocoder - all front-ended by an input integrated VCA (of the Warps). Not to mention cross modulation and voltage control of the Warps algorithm... This gives you most of what integrated complex oscillators provide and lots more. Alternatively, for a little more money you could substitute the Pittsburgh Primary Oscillator for the Dixie and really have a powerhouse.

There are some demos of Tides with Warps (and Rings) that give you good an idea of what’s possible. Most of the Warps demos that I’ve heard are at the extreme and some approach noise, but there are a few musical ones. I’ve found Warps coupled with an analog VCO capable of a broad range of highly accessible timbres and expressive control and is one of the 5 standard voices in my modular that I leave setup all the time (subtractive, DPO/STO, Synchrodyne, phase modulation with waveshaping and Dixie/Warps). It’s that good.
honeyb
Hypster from non-linear circuits.

Three (or four, depends how you count) inter-related VC"O"s, and since they are chaotic, perfect for "stacking complex waveforms"

For more fun you could build a simple half-wave rectifier by soldering some diodes and jacks together, giving an off-board unit for additional complex stacking.

You won't get 1V per octave tracking, but you do get voltage control over frequency and wave shape.
craigie77
Malekko Anti and uncle OSCs, got the same weight and thickness as the DPO and track like a pissed of Terminator, one of my all time favourite combos

really Clean waveforms and perfect for FM, and I mean Really great can almost sound like pinging a glass with a spoon

Go for gargoyles if you can,

Or Rubicon and use a self oscillating filter to FM it with

hope this helps
diller
I know you said you were not into digital but have you seen the new Synthesis Technology E352? It is in your price range and can cover a lot of ground.
luketeaford
cptnal wrote:

Agree with this 100%-- there is a lot of unexplored territory in the additive approach and usually you have more articulate control than with a filter, for example.

You might also consider the Subconscious Communications Vampire -- it is basically like an "east coast" complex oscillator. It has a clock/lfo on one side and then a morph (which crossfades from PWM to one of the selectable shapes--shapes selectable with CV), it has a one octave up cosine which is really useful for additive techniques, it has two more switchable outputs that include sine, triangle, saw, PWM, windowed waveform (which is AM of the input), and a 2 octave down square wave. It is extremely underrated! Tends to drift a few cents here and there after warming up, but is fine for my use and pitch sensitivity.
gringostar
Have you looked at the Mangrove? Lots of great waveforms from that one to mix with your other oscillators.

Another interesting oscillator would be the WMD PDO mk2. Definitely one to check out that would be inline with what you're into.

The above mentioned Twin Waves is another solid choice.

I would also consider a PLL to pair with your existing oscillators. An A-196 or the Synchrodyne would work well for noisy drones and complex waveforms.
phineas
craigie77 wrote:
Malekko Anti and uncle OSCs, got the same weight and thickness as the DPO and track like a pissed of Terminator, one of my all time favourite combos

+1!
It's such a great combo.
thelowerrhythm
Thank you for all of the suggestions. These are all things I've either tried, already do, or would do -- which tells me I'm at least looking in the right direction. we're not worthy

I'm still leaning heavily towards the Double Helix or Primary Oscillator, mainly at this point due to budget. I guess let me ask: if it were down to those two, considering price point, what would your choice be and why?
Blicken Synths
thelowerrhythm wrote:
Thank you for all of the suggestions. These are all things I've either tried, already do, or would do -- which tells me I'm at least looking in the right direction. we're not worthy

I'm still leaning heavily towards the Double Helix or Primary Oscillator, mainly at this point due to budget. I guess let me ask: if it were down to those two, considering price point, what would your choice be and why?

Probably double helix
redonyellow
STO $199. That is the little bother of the DPO. Simple OSC.

MCO = http://busycircuits.com/alm021/ seems pretty good too, can't go wrong with ALM.
Naenyn
thelowerrhythm wrote:

Having never used the Double Helix, I can't directly compare them.. but I can comment on the Primary Oscillator in general, as I am a happy owner of one. I'll be doing a short YouTube video demo of it myself sometime soon as my first module review on my humble little YouTube channel. What i most like about it is the design approach. It can do some very interesting, complex waveforms and it sounds really great. Couple that with the pretty blue LEDs and I was hooked. Definitely a fan of that "blade" wave.

So, I don't know if the Double Helix would be better, but I don't think you'd be disappointed with the Primary Oscillator, at least.
strangegravity
luketeaford wrote:
cptnal wrote:

Agree with this 100%-- there is a lot of unexplored territory in the additive approach and usually you have more articulate control than with a filter, for example.

You might also consider the Subconscious Communications Vampire -- it is basically like an "east coast" complex oscillator. It has a clock/lfo on one side and then a morph (which crossfades from PWM to one of the selectable shapes--shapes selectable with CV), it has a one octave up cosine which is really useful for additive techniques, it has two more switchable outputs that include sine, triangle, saw, PWM, windowed waveform (which is AM of the input), and a 2 octave down square wave. It is extremely underrated! Tends to drift a few cents here and there after warming up, but is fine for my use and pitch sensitivity.

The Pittsburgh Double Helix has 2x simple OSCs a wave folder, a built in LPG, an LFO and a bad ass oscillation matrix. If you got all that as individual modules it would double the cost.
goldi
Pitts primary all the way. I have the helix also and it’s great, but the primary can get a wide range of sounds really fast, from bass to bells. Solid tracking too, which is refreshing for Pittsburgh. Be aware that you’ll need a little mixer to get the most out of its 6 waveforms outputs. Great stuff
knotakt
for oscs i like the malekko ones. they do phase mod.
also the ajh oscs are good, these do pwm instead.
i dont own these but i heard they are good: bubble sound osc.
if i didnt have the malekkos and ajhs already i would get these.

this one sounds good too. https://www.modulargrid.net/e/studio-electronics-oscillation

then you can add some wavefolder. i think the wmd/ssf one is good enough and cheap and everything is cvable pretty much.

for more prestige you could try the random source wave multipliers smile
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2