MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Highly Liquid Projects
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Highly Liquid Projects
shogeki
Hi All!

As some of you may know I recently ran a few production runs for Highly Liquid’s projects and have been experimenting with them / gathering feedback.

The goal of this thread is to look at the state of the project and possibly come up with the next hardware/software iterations and possibly add a bit more documentation.

Here is a breakdown of the different products and possible improvements:

MIDI CPU

- Add an optional programming port (Current version requires to rig the cradle with push pins which is complex)
- Re-design a single sided version without resistor network (To lower production costs and make the project more affordable)
- Upgrade the programming cradle to include more I/O options
- DIP Version for DIY. (Possibly single sided?)
- Create some basic examples with circuits + code examples


MIDI WIDGET

-I have not looked into this device yet, I might get a quote from my board house to see how much it would be produce. My guess is that it is a lot pricier due to the high component count.


UMR2

- Add an optional programming port
- Upgrade the programming cradle to include more I/O options (Midi, switches..)
- DIP Version for DIY
- Better document the installation of the current supported devices.
- Document more devices, especially the Casiotone series. (I’m thinking of creating a bounty system so people making an implementation public can get some free devices)


Let me know if you have things to add or would like to +1 some of these ideas, I’m going to spend some time on a few of these items but would love to get a sense on how to prioritize them.
Jaytee
Putting together documentation for the UMR2 is a great idea (and then let’s cross-post it everywhere so we never lose access again!). Most of the original HL documentation is still available, but difficult to access (easy to spend hours combing through archive.org and still not find the specific image or link you’re looking for). I also have at least one keyboard that was never documented to my knowledge, but which should work and would benefit greatly from adding MIDI (Casio MT-400v), and I would welcome the added incentive to get off my ass and mod the dang thing. wink

A through-hole/DIP version would also be wicked. The small size of the current version is not necessary for every build, and it would be awesome for DIYers to be able to easily build their own. This was actually on my to-do list of backlogged projects but it’s been a couple years and I still haven’t gotten to it.

Programming port would probably be useful to some, though I don’t enough about PIC programming for it to be much use to me personally.

Can you clarify what you mean by upgrading the programming cradle with MIDI/switches?
Jaytee
If you’re feeling like doing so digging, there’s also a legacy (I guess they’re all “legacy” now) HL project that I’d love to see revived. Think it was called MIDISpeak; it was a MIDI interface for the Speak and Spell. UMR2 won’t work here, iirc, because it didn’t interface with the keyboard of the S&S, but rather directly with the speech synthesis chip. HL open-sourced this project, but when they shut down and open-sourced the rest of their stuff, the MIDISpeak wasn’t included. Not sure if the documentation is still available on archive.org or not, or maybe the HL guy can still be contacted somehow...?

Anyway, just a thought wink
shogeki
Jaytee wrote:
Putting together documentation for the UMR2 is a great idea (and then let’s cross-post it everywhere so we never lose access again!). Most of the original HL documentation is still available, but difficult to access (easy to spend hours combing through archive.org and still not find the specific image or link you’re looking for). I also have at least one keyboard that was never documented to my knowledge, but which should work and would benefit greatly from adding MIDI (Casio MT-400v), and I would welcome the added incentive to get off my ass and mod the dang thing. wink

A through-hole/DIP version would also be wicked. The small size of the current version is not necessary for every build, and it would be awesome for DIYers to be able to easily build their own. This was actually on my to-do list of backlogged projects but it’s been a couple years and I still haven’t gotten to it.

Programming port would probably be useful to some, though I don’t enough about PIC programming for it to be much use to me personally.

Can you clarify what you mean by upgrading the programming cradle with MIDI/switches?


The Midi CPU has some footprints on its cradle for 3 midi ports, I was thinking of doing the same thing on the UMR2, maybe also add footprint for dip switches and mounting hardware. (It might only be useful on larger synths)

Quote:
If you’re feeling like doing so digging, there’s also a legacy (I guess they’re all “legacy” now) HL project that I’d love to see revived. Think it was called MIDISpeak; it was a MIDI interface for the Speak and Spell. UMR2 won’t work here, iirc, because it didn’t interface with the keyboard of the S&S, but rather directly with the speech synthesis chip. HL open-sourced this project, but when they shut down and open-sourced the rest of their stuff, the MIDISpeak wasn’t included. Not sure if the documentation is still available on archive.org or not, or maybe the HL guy can still be contacted somehow...?

Anyway, just a thought wink


Wow, I never heard of that project. I could find some info on the site's archive and will try to find the PCB/schematic. (Here is the BOM: https://web.archive.org/web/20060621083827/http://highlyliquid.com:80/ kits/midispeak/assembly.html)

I did find another similar project here:

http://noizeinabox.blogspot.com/2012/02/arduino-midi-speak-and-spell-c ode.html

https://code.google.com/archive/p/noizeinabox/
Bjarne
Hi, I’d just like to chime in and say I think a TH DIY UMR2 is a great idea. thumbs up
Cheers
shogeki
Bjarne wrote:
Hi, I’d just like to chime in and say I think a TH DIY UMR2 is a great idea. thumbs up
Cheers


I might do that this weekend, it shouldn't be too complicated. (I have not designed a thru hole board in ages!)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group