MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

'Poorformance Mixer' - the poor man's performance mixer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author 'Poorformance Mixer' - the poor man's performance mixer
Heliophile
I've been thinking about how to patch up a performance mixer from some pretty cheap modules, as an alternative to the WMD Performance Mixer, Befaco Hexmix & Hexpander and Frap Tools CGM. The idea only exists on Modular Grid, as I don't own these modules, so I'm curious about your feedback. Did I overlook anything?

Some background to justify my choices: The most important thing that I'm looking for in a performance mixer is having enough aux sends with stereo returns that can be engaged from a channel AT THE SAME TIME. I'm less bothered about CV control over level and panning (I have other modules for that), headphone cue option and mute buttons (wherever possible, I like to mute the triggers/gates, not the audio).

So the 'poorformance mixer' I came up with has 7 mono inputs (4 on the Doepfer A-138m and 3 on the Ladik M-160). If only 3 aux effects are used, then there's an additional stereo input available on the Ladik M-176.
The 4 inputs on the Doepfer have 3 aux sends (from columns B, C and D). The other 3 inputs on the Ladik M-160 (in "mono mixer with aux" mode, selected by jumpers) have 1 aux send. The sent signal from the Ladik can be mixed (averaged on the Joranalogue Add2) with one of the sends from the Doepfer. Alternatively, it can be sent to a 4th effect, at the cost of losing the only free stereo channel on the Ladik M-176.
The outputs of the two mono mixers (the dry mono signals) are patched to the two mono inputs on the M-176. The stereo channels on the M-176 are used for the aux returns from the 3 (or 4) stereo effects (the picture shows 3 Erica Pico DSPs, for convenience).
The stereo output of the M-176 is suitable for line levels, according to the Ladik page. Done! Or am I missing something?
kay_k
I know it can come across annoying when I spam all the threads about mixers with my product, but you should maybe look into my Plagwitz mk2's internal routing options
Apfelmann
have you checked out the doepfer performance mixer?
Rex Coil 7
Heliophile wrote:
I've been thinking about how to patch up a performance mixer from some pretty cheap modules ...
Well, what does all of that come out to, money-spent wise?
Heliophile
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Well, what does all of that come out to, money-spent wise?

About €360, according to Modular Grid, not counting the effects.
Heliophile
kay_k wrote:
I know it can come across annoying when I spam all the threads about mixers with my product, but you should maybe look into my Plagwitz mk2's internal routing options

This looks really interesting, Kay! Thanks for bringing this module to my attention. I will study it more.
R.U.Nuts
Why not use two A-138m?
Heliophile
R.U.Nuts wrote:
Why not use two A-138m?

To save rack space. But using two A-138m's will certainly be more powerful, yes!
JES
Heliophile wrote:
kay_k wrote:

This looks really interesting, Kay! Thanks for bringing this module to my attention. I will study it more.

Hijacking here. It’s not clear to me from the Plagwitz mk2 description how you could get 3 simultaneous sends for 4 channels. Am I missing something from the “x axis” and “y axis” talk on the page?

Thanks. Been wondering whether just to get a small desk or do it in Euro.
Heliophile
JES wrote:
It’s not clear to me from the Plagwitz mk2 description how you could get 3 simultaneous sends for 4 channels. Am I missing something from the “x axis” and “y axis” talk on the page?

The way I understand it, you can connect a second Plagwitz using the X-connection, so that your 4 inputs of your first one are normalled to the second. This creates a 4x4 matrix mixer like the Doepfer A-138m, only smaller.

I find it harder to understand the Y-daisy chaining in order to increase the inputs. There's also mention of an input exapnder on the LPZW page that I cannot get my head around fully.

Perhaps @kay_k can elaborate?
desolationjones
Heliophile wrote:
I find it harder to understand the Y-daisy chaining in order to increase the inputs.

For two Plagwitz (let's call them 1 and 2) the Y chaining simply sums A1 to A2 at A2, and B1 to B2 at B2 unless these normalizations are broken by patching output of A1 or B1.
Heliophile
desolationjones wrote:

For two Plagwitz (let's call them 1 and 2) the Y chaining simply sums A1 to A2 at A2, and B1 to B2 at B2 unless these normalizations are broken by patching output of A1 or B1.

That's very clear, thank you!
psykon
Ladik just released two aux mixers smile

http://ladik.ladik.eu/?page_id=2512

http://ladik.ladik.eu/?page_id=2515

Those could be quite handy.
Heliophile
psykon wrote:
Ladik just released two aux mixers smile

http://ladik.ladik.eu/?page_id=2512

http://ladik.ladik.eu/?page_id=2515

Those could be quite handy.

Ah, that's brilliant!
eblomquist
kay_k wrote:

I just looked at the mk2 on MG, it looks pretty useful. I’m curious about what you mean by “semi soft mutes”...
JES
This is exactly what I was looking for.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1