MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Can't decide on my final purchase! STO/Mangrove/Knit
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Can't decide on my final purchase! STO/Mangrove/Knit
ayruos
Hello wigglers! I need some opinions/discussion on what should be my final purchase for my rack. Since the end of 2018, been making some changes and now I'm left with 8 (and maybe +2) hp to fill.

Here's the rack in question.

(https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/801055)

You see that 8hp blank in there? That's what needs filling. Any maybe I can drop the miniAtt or the Multiple (but definitely not both) to have 10hp.

I know what I want, I want another VCO/voice to go in there. Requirements, 1. needs to have waveshaping options because as you can see, I have no filters on my rack [and I'm happy that way!] - so no Dixie/A110/etc which have saws and squares and no way to shape them. 2. It would be great if it had an internal VCA, but not 100% required. 3. Plays nicely with the rest of my rack and adds on to the STO and TelHarmonic.

I currently have three options that I'm mulling over.

1. Another STO!

Why? I know and love this module. It's priced fairly cheap, specially used.

Why not? Well, I already have one of these, something that sounds little different might be better. I still love this module though.

2. A Mannequins Mangrove.

Why? From the demos I've seen, it's got a fairly good range of sounds that can be shaped out of it. Internal VCA too!

Why not? It takes up that additional 2hp that I don't really want to lose. I might want a filter with it because it seems to pair well with one, ie, the waveform doesn't get too simple at any point? Priced highest of my three options too, which brings me to...

3. Antumbra Knit (Plaits clone!)

Why? Well, enough has been said about what this module can do. I won't be starved of options at any point! It also takes up 6hp and leaves me with 2hp which I could do something with later.

Why not? If there's a thing like having too many options distracting you, it might be this module - I'm afraid I'll be so spoilt for choice that might be a bad thing at the end of the day. The shrunken down 6 hp options is not big enough to be wiggle friendly. All MI modules like bipolar CV and all my modulation sources, Maths/Function/Wogglebug/PP/Rene all do unipolar voltages. Yes, I do have the attenuverting mixer on the Maths + the Pico Scale, but I'd rather not have to think about it...

Thoughts?

PS. This is the kind of music I've been making: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKsqKyLGZJ8j5OzpAb1L7hw

(The rack in those look slightly different as I've made a few changes since then, most notably just got the Rene 2 because I wanted another sequencer to really take advantage of the STO + telHarmonic combo).

PPS. I know some of you like a real photo of the rack, the Hyrlo + Ferry is missing at the moment which I should be getting tomorrow and then I can post an actual photo w00t
12eightyfive
I say the mangrove. Love it as an oac and as a lfo too
subdo
Plaits does just fine with unipolar modulation. The knob settings become a offsets and its got on board attenuverters for everything except Harmonics so it's pretty easy to get in the sweet spots. I would def choose it over another STO. Can't speak to the Mangrove. I've never used one but I have most of the other Maniquins modules and they are all pretty great.
diller
Another vote for Mangrove here. I think it would compliment the STO and the tELHARMONIC well. Plaits is really cool too but Mangrove would be my choice in that case.
pieter
I think you should look into the Loquelic Iteritas. It has an incredible range of sounds based on wave shaping, from harsh to mellow, and everything in between.

Why not? 10hp and Still, can't put a price on happiness...
Agawell
I think I'd dump the mult in favour of a the Antumra Knit and add a Kinks

replace the mult with some headphone splitters
ayruos
2 votes for the Mangrove and 2 votes for the Knit! A bit surprised that no one thinks a second STO is a good idea, hmm.

Anyone using the Knit - is the small form factor a problem when it comes to playing with it?

The Mangrove does sound great... but I'm still on the fence about it because of the price, and the fact that it eats up the extra 2hp. Interesting suggestion about the Loquelic Itiretas, but I'd think the same reservations apply. If the LI had separate outs for the A & B oscillators as well as the combined wave, it would be a no brainer, really!

I do have a bunch of the Hosa Hopscotch cables and a couple of Intellijel Hubs for multing outside of the rack, but I've come to realise that sometimes it's nice to just have a strip of mults in the rack itself, it really helps with quick patching.
lisa
Klavis Twin Waves, no doubt. Two oscillators in 8hp. Many algorithms with different types of shaping and the FM/AM input gives you the option to be used as a VCA control.
vidret
Out of the ones you've suggested, and to complement what you have, I'd say Mangrove.

Gives you a funner combo of STO + Mangrove (STO has hard sync, Mangrove soft sync, STO a pretty rough waveshaper and sine, Mangrove has its own VCA plus a LOT of waveshapes and the square output).

I think 2x STO would be too much of the same, whereas one of each would be a great complement - as long as we're talking about your suggestions.

There's always purely digital you can take a look at as well (all the Noise Engineering stuff has great range).
mdoudoroff
It’s so cute when wigglers say things like “final purchase”.

Although I like Mangrove, I’d probably rather have Three Sisters: you can use it as an interesting voice, either by having it self-oscillate or by pinging it, and when you’re not doing that, you’ve got one of the most interesting filters in Eurorack to animate your sound with. I know you’re professing to not be interested in filters, but Three Sisters is a triple bandpass filter, not a conventional multimode.
defalut
I second Twin Waves. Wonderful module with two very capable oscillators.
ayruos
lisa wrote:
Klavis Twin Waves, no doubt. Two oscillators in 8hp. Many algorithms with different types of shaping and the FM/AM input gives you the option to be used as a VCA control.

Hey lisa! I've seen you recommend the Twin Waves before in other threads and it does seem like a very capable module! How's the interface though - wrt the little screen, how much menu diving is there?

mdoudoroff wrote:
It’s so cute when wigglers say things like “final purchase”.

hihi I know how it sounds, but I do intend this to be my final purchase. I've been in Finland for the last three years and the last two of them have been spent building up towards this rack. It's been a long journey through a lot of DIY, a 9U case in the beginning, etc but I've finally shaped it down to what it is right now - and very happy with what I'm able to achieve with this. I'm moving back to India this summer which also means it's going to get difficult to buy/sell eurorack. There are no resellers of eurorack gear in India, customs are on the higher side and there's literally no used market to speak of. So I don't see myself chopping and changing things once I'm back home. I'm definitely not done for life, but I am done for the time being and it's mostly because I'm bound by circumstances!

edit: I've never looked at the Three Sisters in too much detail. I'll check it out!
lisa
ayruos wrote:
Hey lisa! I've seen you recommend the Twin Waves before in other threads and it does seem like a very capable module! How's the interface though - wrt the little screen, how much menu diving is there?

Hey! Yeah, I get a bit tiered of myself when I repeat things too often but I couldn't resist in this case since the requirements you posted fits the TW bang on the money and then some. smile

All the menu diving is one layer deep. Even if you want to make changes to how it operates, like what type of FM you want or how you want it to treat the two v/oct inputs. Changing algorithm is just clicking the parameter knob and turning it to find the algorithm you want and then click it again to choose the algorithm. I mean, having one knob for every function would be nice of course but the tradeoff for getting so much function into 8hp isn't as big as one would expect. The layout is clever.
mdoudoroff
The Klavis Twin Waves very cool. This guy did a pretty nice walkthrough of how it works (it’s not much of an audio demo though):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he9QnxMhubs&t=1109s

Klavis’ other modules are also excellent.
Blicken Synths
I'd like the throw the Instruo Ts-L into the hat. Only 6hp (so give you room for something else too). Analog oscillator with Soft sync, FM, PWM, sine, triangle, square and sub outputs and a wavefolder with symmetry control
sitarman
A new brother/sister empty 9u case applause
ayruos
sitarman wrote:
A new brother/sister empty 9u case applause

Are you referring to this, good sir? razz

This is what remains of the original 9U I started building my rack in before deciding that I needed a smaller and more portable setup. This hasn't seen much love from me recently, I must admit, apart from slowly losing all the modules that made up a subtractive voice.
Catchthehare
My vote goes to Magrove
Or you can go Instruo Ts-l we're not worthy
NotHerbert
I have a Mangrove, STO, and Twin Waves, and they're all great. Although I've never used one, I think the Ts-L would be at the top of my list if I were in your situation. The waveshaping, multiple waveform outputs, and 6hp size would make it ideal for a compact system, especially one without a filter.
nrrrd
Your top row is very similar to my skiff. I have a Contour, rather than a Function, though.

I have two STOs. A lot of fun to FM each other. However, I don't use both of them together too much, so I'm thinking of replacing one with the NLC Timbre! waveshaper, once I've soldered it all together.

So, maybe a waveshaper instead?
ayruos
nrrrd wrote:
Your top row is very similar to my skiff. I have a Contour, rather than a Function, though.

I have two STOs. A lot of fun to FM each other. However, I don't use both of them together too much, so I'm thinking of replacing one with the NLC Timbre! waveshaper, once I've soldered it all together.

So, maybe a waveshaper instead?

Now what would really tickle my fancy is TWO STOs and a waveshaper. But there's no way I can make that work in the rack space that I have without significant reshuffling, something I'm not ready to. And honestly... if we're going down that route... should just start thinking DPO then Dead Banana

I'm looking at another VCO module to add on because sometimes the tELHARMONIC doesn't provide enough range to complement the STO/fulfil what I'm trying to do. The TH is great, but it is a rather unique sounding thing... So just a waveshaper without a VCO, nah, don't think so waah

I'm gonna take my time with making this decision...
placebo92
Another one to consider is ALM's MCO, haven't tried one myself but it seems like it could add some nice variation to what you already have w00t
loopt
I would kick the STO (because see below), the µBurst (because Clouds) and the Bombmult (because Stackcables) and get a Cš-L (because Cš-L).
ayruos
Ok after going through a LOT of demos and forum posts, I'm currently leaning towards the Mangrove. I'm quite convinced that it's going to compliment my STO really well.

The Knit and the Ts-L are both great modules - but I'd rather have a bit more space than the 6hp that they both offer to comfortably patch and wiggle.

The Twin Waves also looks excellent but for some reason it doesn't appeal to me like the Mangrove does, maybe due to the amount of CV inputs it has, I don't know.

I shall make the final decision in the next week. Thanks for chiming in, everyone!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1