MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Patch Tips: Moddemix + Optomix = Resonant Filter
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Patch Tips: Moddemix + Optomix = Resonant Filter
luketeaford
After discovering moddemix can create static offsets, I realized it would make patching a resonant filter a little easier so I played around with it this evening.

Shared System Resonant Filter

Patch signal to be filtered into moddemix aux in.
Patch moddemix channel 1 output to its own signal input
Patch moddemix channel 2 output to its own signal input
Patch moddemix sum output to optomix channel 1 input
Mult optomix channel 1 output to moddemix ch1 carrier input
Mult optomix channel 1 output to optomix channel 2 input (this is normalled on optomix v1)
Mult optomix channel 2 output to your output (or wherever else in your patch)
Mult optomix channel 2 output to moddemix channel 2 carrier input
Patch filter cutoff control signal to both channels of optomix (or experiment with not doing that)

IMPORTANT: moddemix polarity matters
When I discovered this patch I only had one moddemix (like a chump hihi ) and that moddemix creates a positive voltage from channel 1 and a negative voltage from channel 2. My second one is the opposite of that, so in order to recreate these patches, you will have to adjust the inputs accordingly so that polarities match as expected. (If someone who knows about EE can word that better, I'll revise. I also wrote to Make Noise about it and will update this post again when I hear back).

Engineers, correct me if I'm wrong about what this does...
Moddemix combo pots together control the resonance (and bandwidth?) of the filter. If channel 2 is down, channel 1's combo pot drives the filter. If channel 2 is up, it creates sort of a bandpass resonant effect. If channel 1 is down, channel 2 controls the resonance (it's a little tamer). Combinations make awesome sounds.

My favorite thing about this patch is it doesn't use any of Maths, so you still have all of its mixing and CV generation capabilities which means you could do a lot with this!

(Edited typos in the patch instructions)
musicalfungus
luketeaford

Thanks Luke! I am excited to try this out tonight!
natureclubcassettes
cool idea!
shredsickgnar
Wow I need to get a mode mix again!
paranormind
I love my moddemix and its character that is often misloved. Now I have another reason to love it even more. Thanks Luke!
Blairio
This sounds awesome - I have a question though:

I have both mod-demix and Optimix but in each case they are version 1 examples.

Luketeaford, are you using the earlier or later mod-demix and Optimix?

To the folk that know mod-demix and Optimix much better than me, should it affect the patch whether earlier or later versions are used?

I love the mod-demix. Even when used as a VCA, it adds a wee bit of magic.
luketeaford
Blairio wrote:
This sounds awesome - I have a question though:

I have both mod-demix and Optimix but in each case they are version 1 examples.

Luketeaford, are you using the earlier or later mod-demix and Optimix?

To the folk that know mod-demix and Optimix much better than me, should it affect the patch whether earlier or later versions are used?

I love the mod-demix. Even when used as a VCA, it adds a wee bit of magic.

I have Moddemix 2014 and Optomix V1.

Moddemix I think is the same, but there's a chance it won't make the static voltages by itself (someone mentioned the older model doesn't do that). In that case, I would just send it positive and negative offsets from Maths.

If you're using Optomix V1, you don't need to patch from ch1 to ch2, but my understanding is that normalization changed in V2 so you would have to patch it.
The Junglechrist
I've been trying it yesterday from your instagram post but was not very sure if I patched it correctly (got some very good results anyway so it does not matter hahaha).

Thanks man ! Always insiring ;-)
nectarios
luketeaford wrote:

Mult optomix channel 1 output to optomix channel 2 output (this is normalled on optomix v1)

Just quoting this to make sure you are multing the output of Optomix ch1 to the output (and not the input) of Optomix ch2.

Anyhow, it didn't work for me, no matter what the knob settings,. Anyone else got this working?
starthief
I tried a variant of this with my ModDemix v1 and Lifeforms Dynamic Impulse Filter (which... yes, already has resonance). It was quite a different patch, but I got a surprising thrashing/oscillating 12V spike at LFO or audio rates depending on the levels on ModDemix, which would sometimes quiet down completely depending on the frequency of the input.. it was bizarre! Makes me want to experiment a lot more with feedback in ModDemix though.
luketeaford
nectarios wrote:
luketeaford wrote:

Mult optomix channel 1 output to optomix channel 2 output (this is normalled on optomix v1)

Just quoting this to make sure you are multing the output of Optomix ch1 to the output (and not the input) of Optomix ch2.

Anyhow, it didn't work for me, no matter what the knob settings,. Anyone else got this working?

Good catch -- that's a typo! I will edit the original post, thanks for catching that!

I think you might need Moddemix 2014 in order to generate the static offsets that this patch relies on.
craigie77
if you duplicate the output from said then invert one of the copies, then mix them back togethjer , youll get a hipass resonant filter, and also a vaiable slope if you play around with the levels of either copy
The Junglechrist
Just add fun adding a synced vco to moddemix channel 2 mod input to add some resonant elements to the sound, I like that !

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bsf4xi5DxPK/
luketeaford
craigie77 wrote:
if you duplicate the output from said then invert one of the copies, then mix them back togethjer , youll get a hipass resonant filter, and also a vaiable slope if you play around with the levels of either copy

Ahh fooled again by my stupid ears! It was sounding very much like a bandpass filter when I was playing with it yesterday. I think maybe feeding back positive and negative creates two resonant peaks?
ArtificialSleep
Thanks for sharing this!
I don't have an Optomix, so I patched it with a Lxd instead. It works, but since the two LPG-s have different filter slopes and resonances, there is a lot of funky stuff going on. I can't wrap my head around everything that's going on here, but it's a very cool use for Moddemix.

It's great to have the carrier 2 input to use for FM/ringmod (cool textures with subharmonics of the oscillator) or an envelope that controls the amplitude of the input signal etc.
I will try swapping the upper and lower sections of the Lxd some other time.
BasariStudios
I don't understand how you have 2 times ,,patch into MDM Signal Input 2 times''
Am i missing something or?
luketeaford
ArtificialSleep wrote:
Thanks for sharing this!
I don't have an Optomix, so I patched it with a Lxd instead. It works, but since the two LPG-s have different filter slopes and resonances, there is a lot of funky stuff going on. I can't wrap my head around everything that's going on here, but it's a very cool use for Moddemix.

It's great to have the carrier 2 input to use for FM/ringmod (cool textures with subharmonics of the oscillator) or an envelope that controls the amplitude of the input signal etc.
I will try swapping the upper and lower sections of the Lxd some other time.

Very cool ideas-- I think there must be a lot of territory to cover in there and using the LXD you might also try processing in parallel instead of series.
luketeaford
BasariStudios wrote:
I don't understand how you have 2 times ,,patch into MDM Signal Input 2 times''
Am i missing something or?

I'm not sure what's confusing you here (can you give me the step as I described it that you don't understand?)

I'm guessing you're weirded out by patching the moddemix back into itself. That's a trick to make it give you static voltages and then putting a bipolar audio signal into it modulates the static voltage with the audio rate voltage and gives an interesting result.
BasariStudios
luketeaford wrote:

Mult optomix channel 2 output to moddemix channel 2 signal input

Unless i am missing something.
luketeaford
BasariStudios wrote:
luketeaford wrote:

Mult optomix channel 2 output to moddemix channel 2 signal input

Unless i am missing something.

Damn another typo. However I got a new moddemix and optomix v2 last night and found an interesting thing-- if the top channel of your moddemix outputs negative voltage, you need to switch the order around. I'll revise and update my patch notes.

Optomix channel 2 should be patched to the moddemix negative voltage signal input.
Naive Teen Idol
I was playing around with this patch the last day or so – I have an Optimix and Moddemix, both v1. If I follow the instructions to a tee, it doesn’t sound right. So I’ve been playing around with using the Maths channels 2 and 3 to send positive and/or negative voltage to both channels. And while I’m able to get some resonant-ish behavior this way, it’s by no means as squelchy as what you get in your Instagram post.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1