MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

What’s the difference between Karper/Zenert and Tocante
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Author What’s the difference between Karper/Zenert and Tocante
mmelnick
So I’m attending the Tocante building workshop at Control in NYC in February. An option is offered to build a Karper or Zenert for $50 more. I want to decide what to build but I can’t find info that compares the models or tells me why the Karper or Zenert cost more. Can any of you wigglers shed some light on the differences so I can decide? Thanks in advance.
horaflora
They are more expensive because they are the best selling, I believe, so Peter has less incentive to sell them at cost, vis-a-vis, these workshops.

From his site:
"Karper is the newest idea, using 24 separate 8bit microcontrollers to do that many parallel Karpluss-Strong string synthesizers, in the tocante scale. Each string has a trigger and two sources of "the noise of computation" or the least significant, hairiest bits magnified as 1bit music (T.P.) These can be output to the trigger, or two circuit-bending nodes that change the octave and pitch degree, or simply listen to the noise of computation on a braided, inner pre-amp. Bass Bistab is that instrument, but using capacitors a decade lower, or about three octaves and a third, so that it reaches into haptic (beat patterns) range. Bass Thyris is that instrument with the same mode, but the mellower, more baritone range that waveshape affords. Zenert is a simple name, deriving from the source of its noise, a zener diode, and the spectral flavoring applied by a simple resonant circuit, the twin-t. Its operation diverges from the previous Tocante pieces, where finger-touch simply connected oscillator outputs to an amplifier. In Zenert, finger-touch injects the zener noise into the inputs of the flavoring circuits. So instead of a number of discrete symbols at its rim, Zenert has a band of copper tracing, scripted to mimic the waveform of noise. The inner nodes, for circuit bending on Thyris, Bistab and Phashi, are now the injection points for each resonance. The resonators on Zenert share the same tuning-by-capacitor scheme, establishing continuity with the previous ones. Thus Tocante shares a two-faced nature with its nemesis, Ieaskul F. Mobenthey; looking backward to previous designs for the general framework and manifesto, but looking forward to new ways to break out of the mold."
ClausF
I would go for a Karper. Have them both and a few other Tocantes. IMHO Karper is a versatile Instrument, Zenert just makes different flavors of noise. And is not one of my beloved noise makers.
Looking back a year Karper is one of the most used Tocantes here and Zenert is defintely at the end of the row...
horaflora
ClausF wrote:
I would go for a Karper. Have them both and a few other Tocantes. IMHO Karper is a versatile Instrument, Zenert just makes different flavors of noise. And is not one of my beloved noise makers.
Looking back a year Karper is one of the most used Tocantes here and Zenert is defintely at the end of the row...

If you haven't, you should do the power starve on your zenert for some pretty radically different sound.. use a wall wart adaptor not plugged in to get the job done...
ClausF
Cool, and no, I never did that. Will try!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Page 1 of 1