MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

PSA: Modular Grid has alternate panels. Please use them!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author PSA: Modular Grid has alternate panels. Please use them!
luketeaford
Modular Grid supports a Panel Selector option which lets you choose from any face plate that has been uploaded to the module.

It would be nicer to have one canonical reference to each version of a module and then each user can set the face plates as they like so that we don't end up with all the duplication. For instance, if you look at Make Noise you will find duplicates for black maths, 2013 maths, grayscale 2013 maths, 2013 maths with white knobs, etc.

This is one of the annoying things about specs locked by manufacturer-- a user can't go in and add new images from the manufacturer or new third party alternate panels, so they make duplicates.
deftinwulf
I only recently learned about this option myself (Note: the Panel Selector mode only does anything if you have Rack Lock turned off. d'oh!), so I think the PSA is warranted.

The main problem I have with it is when you add a module to your rack, the Panel Selector says there's "13 panels", but really 11 of them are literally the exact same image cloned 11 times, with only 2 that are actually different. There needs to be better oversight of this feature, and perhaps certain users should have elevated site privileges that allow them to delete the redundant panels so the feature is efficiently usable. thumbs up
dooj88
thank you, long overdue. it's a resource we all use, lets reduce the clutter! seems like every day there's an alternate panel upload for a module that's been around for a while.
Futuresound
[my original post was entirely wrong!]

This is a great idea, please please use this feature.
cackland
Where is this 'Panel Selector' option? Couldn't find it.
corpusjonsey
Who cares?
deftinwulf
cackland wrote:
Where is this 'Panel Selector' option? Couldn't find it.

Not sure about all browsers/devices, but for me on Windows/Chrome, its up along the top-right with the other option buttons like Panel Popover, Space Guides, and Rack Lock.
sempervirent
It's a useful feature, but it's not necessarily for alternate panels. It's for accessing the images in the revision history of a single module entry. For example I notice that some people prefer photos while others prefer illustrations. If you look back in the revision histories sometimes you can see "edit wars" where people are just overwriting someone else's uploaded image repeatedly or reverting edits. This feature solves that problem nicely. But that is about different representations of the same aesthetic created by the same company, not different representations of different aesthetics made by different companies.

luketeaford wrote:
It would be nicer to have one canonical reference to each version of a module and then each user can set the face plates as they like so that we don't end up with all the duplication.

Having one "canonical" entry may seem ideal from the user perspective but realistically it's quite complicated. The manufacturer lock function is one reason. Someone like myself or Oscillosaurus or Magpie or whoever would have to get special edit privileges to modify locked records in order to add different panel images. Imagine the complexity. Or imagine if Manufacturer X doesn't want to provide such privileges. So we end up with duplicates anyway.

luketeaford wrote:
For instance, if you look at Make Noise you will find duplicates for black maths, 2013 maths, grayscale 2013 maths, 2013 maths with white knobs, etc.

If you search for "Maths" (for example) and limit the search scope to Make Noise, only the official entries appear. Of course if you only search for "Maths" with the Manufacturer scope set to include all, then you get a lot of stuff (including 10 modules that are not either version of Maths) but limiting the scope using the Manufacturer dropdown helps.

luketeaford wrote:
This is one of the annoying things about specs locked by manufacturer-- a user can't go in and add new images from the manufacturer or new third party alternate panels, so they make duplicates.

If you see legitimate duplicates, just flag them as such. The mods of MG are usually quick to remove them. I always flag any Grayscale duplicates right away simply because I don't want to keep track of multiple entries under my own manufacturer ID. Just edit the name to say "duplicate" and link to the existing record, and the duplicate is usually removed within a few hours.
luketeaford
sempervirent wrote:
It's a useful feature, but it's not necessarily for alternate panels. It's for accessing the images in the revision history of a single module entry.

Yeah-- trying this with Function there are 11 panel versions in the history and many of them are possibly the same photo at different sizes/resolutions.

I think you're right and I like the way you have for example DPO (Grayscale Panel) and DPO (Grayscale Black Panel), but I was hoping to find a way that we could stamp out making new entries for each of the Make Noise modules with white knobs only.
rayultine
CLEAN UP THE MESS
vidret
rayultine wrote:
CLEAN UP THE MESS

waah
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1