MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

is the rolzer worth it?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Author is the rolzer worth it?
odditymedium
those of you who have the rolzer, is it worth it?

despite my deep appreciation of peter's thinking behind the rolzer, which later led to the tocante scale, i wonder if it is worth the money?

i'm asking cos i'm thinking of getting one...
sungja
Have no experience with the rolzer but i believe it was meant to sound more like the rollz5 paper circuit. Why not start with building some of these and go from there?
odditymedium
as i have a plumbutter, it has some rollz as is: two 3-rollz and two 4-rollz.

i'm interested in hearing from rolzer owners whether such an expensive piece of gear that makes no sounds by itself (i mean, not really), is worth the investment
knows
You cannot voltage control the rollz as on the plumbutter. You can make more complex rhythms and control voltages and audio (to filter) and more of them, sharing browns or not.
You can set up unrelated clusters of connected browns and send to the plumbutter for weird drum patterns. Great to patch through the ultasound filters (brown). You can use it to control sequences and trigger other timing events (orange). I kind of think of it as big clock source that when you speed it up or interfere the browns, produces control and audio patterns.
I am sure some others have different ideas and ways they use it.
odditymedium
thanks knows. do you recommend buying one? would you buy one again?
knows
I still have one as part of my duosk. It is pretty awesome when I get a bunch of the browns interconnected and send it’s signals as audio and cv into both sets of the plumbutters ultrasounds. It does weird things with the man with red steam as well.
Would I buy it again? I don’t know.
If someone wanted to make the plumbutter into a more poly rhythmic *edit weird* drum machine, it would be great! I would give up any of the ciat lonbarde instruments for the Hordijk system.
jimmie
you can get more messy by interconnecting PB's roll to rolzer nanners
ClausF
odditymedium wrote:
thanks knows. do you recommend buying one? would you buy one again?

As an addition to Plumbutter yes (if you have the Coco).
And as an own instrument, for some strange electronic noises, you have to build some attenuators for that. Just check the Rollz-5 PDF to get an idea how to connect the rolls. Works pretty well...
Like sungja I also recommend to build a few of the rolls from this document and experiment. Rolls are the simplest circuits there and you can have a lot of fun alone with them. Also experiment with different or switchable caps (in one roll)... I have this still nailed on a piece of wood, waiting for housing, but after a while experimenting and playing with the plumbutter patch on Shbobo I got lost and bought a Plumbutter, Coco, Rollzer and more... Rockin' Banana!
rmro
Not being a DIY expert. Could you buy a Rollz5 Meng Qi pcb and just solder the Rollz without the AV Dog, Gong & Ultrasound? Wonder if it would work to get some extra Rollz for the PB?
corpusjonsey
rmro wrote:
Not being a DIY expert. Could you buy a Rollz5 Meng Qi pcb and just solder the Rollz without the AV Dog, Gong & Ultrasound? Wonder if it would work to get some extra Rollz for the PB?

This will definitely work.
jimmie
rmro wrote:

JFY I'm still drifting to sell or unsell my Rollz5 hihi
sungja
When i think more about it building the rollz section in seven different values on paper is something worth trying out some day. It could be a cheap alternative for the rolzer.
odditymedium
i know pugix has listed the 2-roll here: http://pugix.com/synth/rollz-5-schematics/

any where else i can find 3, 4, 5, 6, 7-roll schematics?

or am i totally wrong, and there only 2,3,4 -rollz?
ClausF
In the Rollzer and Rollz-5 there are 3,4,5 & 6 rolls. There is no schematics, but you can extract it from the paper circuit, there are only around 5 parts/section.

Paper circuits and description is here: http://ciat-lonbarde.net/rollz5/
corpusjonsey
odditymedium wrote:
i know pugix has listed the 2-roll here: http://pugix.com/synth/rollz-5-schematics/

any where else i can find 3, 4, 5, 6, 7-roll schematics?

or am i totally wrong, and there only 2,3,4 -rollz?

If you want a 7, 8, 9... roll just add more stages to any of the paper circuits rollz.
SPIKE the Percussionist
if you get a Rollz-5 you can get the rhythmic permutations from it AND it also makes noiz.

I use two Rollz-5s with my PB2 and COCO.

Things get really evil weird.
w00t
The Grump
I don't have a plumbutter yet, but if I did, you can bet your ass, I'd want a Rolzer! Hell yeah, those things get NUTS! I mean that's really the device that unlocks the Plumbutter as a rhythmic tool. On its own, the PB2 is cool, but with the rolzer, that thing is a fucking monster. Seriously, if you have to ask, you already know the answer is an emphatic "FUCK YES, I NEED THIS!!". So get on it!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Page 1 of 1