MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Mono/Poly style sequence on a DSI Pro 2?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Mono/Poly style sequence on a DSI Pro 2?
tomatoKetchup
Hello,

I dream of owning a Mono/poly but afraid to invest such money of a vintage piece of gear, with all the hassle it may come with.

One of my favourite functions on the MP being its ability to have a sequence cycling through all 4 osc on at a time, a synth with similar capability would be a deal maker for me. The closest modern equivalent I can think of in terms of features is the DSI Pro 2 which is also a 4-osc paraphonic monosynth.

I've looked the Pro 2 manual and couldn't find anything like that but knowing the depth of programming the synth offers I was wondering if it was somehow possible to program a patch to behave in such a way.

Thank you.
tehyar
Fired it up to verify. Once it's in paraphonic mode, even with a short stab and waiting between hitting notes, it cycles through the four oscs. thumbs up
dubnspace
tehyar wrote:
Fired it up to verify. Once it's in paraphonic mode, even with a short stab and waiting between hitting notes, it cycles through the four oscs. thumbs up

really? i've never been able to do this. So you put a patch in paraphonic mode, hold down one key and it will cycle 1 note per osc?
tehyar
dubnspace wrote:
tehyar wrote:

really? i've never been able to do this. So you put a patch in paraphonic mode, hold down one key and it will cycle 1 note per osc?

It cycles each time you hit a key. Sorry if I wasn't clear, my details were to demonstrate that it doesn't cycle only when it would steal a voice (i.e.a chord), it cycles every note hit regardless.
tomatoKetchup
tehyar wrote:

Really? That's a odd behavior no? A normal paraphonic mode should be that if you press 1 key, all 4 osc sound together at that key pitch, press a 2nd key and osc 2/3/4 take the 2nd pitch, etc.

So if you play the arpeggiator it automatically cycles through all osc one at a time?
tehyar
tomatoKetchup wrote:
tehyar wrote:

Really? That's a odd behavior no? A normal paraphonic mode should be that if you press 1 key, all 4 osc sound together at that key pitch, press a 2nd key and osc 2/3/4 take the 2nd pitch, etc.

I've never seen that before.

tomatoKetchup wrote:
So if you play the arpeggiator it automatically cycles through all osc one at a time?

Yep.
tehyar
Fun trick:

Make a nice plucky arp sound that needs a single osc. Set each of the four oscs to a different note of a chord. Turn on paraphonic mode, and turn on the arp and set it to 3 octaves. Hit a note.

The 4 notes over 3 octaves makes a really great rotating complex arp sound because the 4:3 makes the notes rotate each octave.
tehyar
[s]https://soundcloud.com/bakayar/pro2paraarp/s-9QNAK[/s]

Made a quick crappy demo. Simple 1-osc bass pluck. Each osc is tuned differently.

First section is plain normal mode holding 1 key, 1 octave arp. It just uses osc 1.

Then I turn on paraphonic. Still hitting the one note.

Then I go to 2 octaves o nthe arp, still holding the same one key.

Lastly, switch to 3 octaves, and you can hear it moving. After a few runs I change up the note I'm playing a few times.

The reason it's not playing all four oscs at first when it's not in paraphonic mode? The other 3 oscs levels are set to 0. It does this neat thing when you turn on para where it levels out the osc volumes, so you can pull a trick like this.
tomatoKetchup
It sure is different from true analogue paraphony, but it's actually quite cool and more useful that way. Nice trick you found there too.

Gosh, it's making me wanting this synth even more than before!

Thanks anyway for investigating that for me tehyar thumbs up
dubnspace
man, i have a mono/poly and that my favorite thing about it too, and i've even been wanting a Perfourmer since it can do this as well.. never knew my Pro2 could do this and not sure why i haven't stumbled upon its ability to do so either.. definitely going to try this when i get home..
SonicRevolutions
Polyend Medusa is able to step through its oscillators.
gruebleengourd
" true analogue paraphony"

no such thing
tomatoKetchup
gruebleengourd wrote:
" true analogue paraphony"

no such thing

Should probably have said "more common analogue paraphony". smile
dubnspace
been playing with all morning, such a fun synth.
booger
dubnspace wrote:
man, i have a mono/poly and that my favorite thing about it too, and i've even been wanting a Perfourmer since it can do this as well.. never knew my Pro2 could do this and not sure why i haven't stumbled upon its ability to do so either.. definitely going to try this when i get home..

I’ve owned both the Perfourmer and the Mono/Poly. The Perfourmer seemed like four separate synths cycling through notes (because it is essentially four separate synths). The Mono/Poly had more magic IMO because the cycling oscillators all shared the same filter and envelope.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1