MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Cleanest sounding delay pedal?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Cleanest sounding delay pedal?
Rupert the not so great
Looking for a clean sounding delay. Any reccomendations? Already have the timeline but for me it colours a synth in a muddy way. Dead Banana
anselmi
the EHX Cathedral is known mostly as a reverb pedal but there is a delay mode that is killer for synths and drum machines...very clean, great delay range (from microseconds to seconds) LPF/HPF or no filtering and a limiter in the feedback loop.

I use it a lot with the HPF to clean the lows and it sounds pristine...also it´s stereo, have a infinite/tap button and you can add reverb to the delay too

and of course you got all the other reverb modes that are great too...it´s quite inexpensive and easy to find
JohnLRice
Do you find the TimeLine isn't clean enough with the digital machine and the filter and grit settings to minimum? hmmm.....

That said, I probably reach from my Strymon DIG when I want clear clean delays in a pedal. The three modes are fairly similar, with the 24/96 being the cleanest but I often choose the ADM setting . . . has a slight touch of magic to my ears. cool

Rupert the not so great
anselmi wrote:
the EHX Cathedral is known mostly as a reverb pedal but there is a delay mode that is killer for synths and drum machines...very clean, great delay range (from microseconds to seconds) LPF/HPF or no filtering and a limiter in the feedback loop.

I use it a lot with the HPF to clean the lows and it sounds pristine...also it´s stereo, have a infinite/tap button and you can add reverb to the delay too

and of course you got all the other reverb modes that are great too...it´s quite inexpensive and easy to find

Cool, thanks. I'll check it out. Already got a reverb pedal but always worth having a look for others...
nostalghia
TC Electronic Flashback (several versions) maybe? I generally use vst plugins in my DAW for delay & reverb, but have a rack mount TC D-Two delay unit that's very clean.
Rupert the not so great
JohnLRice wrote:
Do you find the TimeLine isn't clean enough with the digital machine and the filter and grit settings to minimum? hmmm.....

That said, I probably reach from my Strymon DIG when I want clear clean delays in a pedal. The three modes are fairly similar, with the 24/96 being the cleanest but I often choose the ADM setting . . . has a slight touch of magic to my ears. cool

Yeah man! It's just not very pleasing to my ears and colours my sounds in ways which im not fond of. To be honest, not much of the strymon stuff is appealing to me.. in saying that.. the cleanliness of them videos seems to be similar to what im after. Ive seen a few videos of the Timefactor which have been nice. Anyone have experience with that pedal?
Rupert the not so great
nostalghia wrote:
TC Electronic Flashback (several versions) maybe? I generally use vst plugins in my DAW for delay & reverb, but have a rack mount TC D-Two delay unit that's very clean.

This is one ive been drawn too! it has ping pong right?
GGW
Rupert the not so great wrote:
nostalghia wrote:

It's got ping pong, some modeled tape and analog sounds and a very clean digital delay. Very versatile and sounds great.
anselmi
Cool, thanks. I'll check it out. Already got a reverb pedal but always worth having a look for others...

trust me, I used it in delay mode for years! I even made it mod to add CV to delay time and infinite button

nostalghia wrote:

I found the flashback a bit lofi in the feedback trails, like it use a not so high sample rate and have a lpf to avoid aliasing...this is not bad if you´re looking for something a bit colored but is not as clean as the Cathedral (cheaper thought)
Rupert the not so great
GGW wrote:
nostalghia wrote:

It's got ping pong, some modeled tape and analog sounds and a very clean digital delay. Very versatile and sounds great.

Cool cool, ill have to check it out then. Thanks we're not worthy
Rupert the not so great
anselmi wrote:

trust me, I used it in delay mode for years! I even made it mod to add CV to delay time and infinite button

nostalghia wrote:

I found the flashback a bit lofi in the feedback trails, like it use a not so high sample rate and have a lpf to avoid aliasing...this is not bad if you´re looking for something a bit colored but is not as clean as the Cathedral (cheaper thought)

Thats cool, didn't know that was possible? Yeah, lo-fi is definetly not what im after for sure. Im gonna check out the cathedral too. Thanks for your input. Much appreciated!
chvad
SDD-3000 has some clean delay modes that are nice.
mookmoof
I like the vintage Boss DD2 Made in Japan. Or save a few bucks and get the lesser known DSD2 with the same chip.
SteeVtheRipper
I have the larger Flashback delay pedal. I love it. Pretty much covers all your bread and butter delays. Some clean some a little dirty but nothing too dirty imho. Nothing with too much character either, a la Earthquaker Devices. Just a simple, affordable, reliable delay.
gentle_attack
JohnLRice wrote:
Do you find the TimeLine isn't clean enough with the digital machine and the filter and grit settings to minimum? hmmm..... ]

I feel like the OP may indeed not be looking for textbook "clean" repeats if this won't do.

Maybe try a multimode filter after your delay (or better yet in an effects loop) and see if you can find what you're looking for (maybe you want a high pass filter so you can get a lot of repeats without going into wall of noise feedback).

---
Boss DD-7 on the normal modes literally is an exact copy of what you put in. If you don't like that, you really need to rethink what you are looking for. I don't think this will be much different than a correctly set Timeline, but everything is at face value on the Boss and it's much cheaper.
1986Bowler
I have the Flashback x4 and I find it very clean- the only evil part is that there is so much stuff, I'm going to actually have to read the manual!

And it's MASSIVE for a guitar pedal- you definitely get your money's worth in metal alone when you buy it.
calaveras
I like the old Digitech delays for clean delay. Rack units mostly, but some of the pedals are good too.
The Boss DD5(?) adn DD20 are both good, but not quite 'pristine' as folks like to say. I never can get those to the place where I can't tell the original signal from the repeat.
Which is funny because they excel at that on clean guitar.
Rupert the not so great
gentle_attack wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:
Do you find the TimeLine isn't clean enough with the digital machine and the filter and grit settings to minimum? hmmm..... ]

I feel like the OP may indeed not be looking for textbook "clean" repeats if this won't do.

Maybe try a multimode filter after your delay (or better yet in an effects loop) and see if you can find what you're looking for (maybe you want a high pass filter so you can get a lot of repeats without going into wall of noise feedback).

---
Boss DD-7 on the normal modes literally is an exact copy of what you put in. If you don't like that, you really need to rethink what you are looking for. I don't think this will be much different than a correctly set Timeline, but everything is at face value on the Boss and it's much cheaper.

Filter situation is very interesting.. thanks for that. No idea how that would be setup but I'll do some digging! hmmm.....
Rupert the not so great
Thanks everyone for their input. Think i'm going to try out the filter thing that was mentioned by gentle_attack once I find a way to achieve it or take the easy option and try a boss pedal Guinness ftw!
anselmi
calaveras wrote:
I like the old Digitech delays for clean delay. Rack units mostly, but some of the pedals are good too.
The Boss DD5(?) adn DD20 are both good, but not quite 'pristine' as folks like to say. I never can get those to the place where I can't tell the original signal from the repeat.
Which is funny because they excel at that on clean guitar.

clean (electric) guitar played thru a guitar amp could give the wrong idea of a super pristine delay because the amp/cabinet combo filter upper frequencies. Most delay pedals works at 30KHz or so because of this
But when you try them with synths, in a full bandwidth line level situation, they tend to lack a bit of the top end and sound muddy
Take this in mind when choose one
thundermouse
Earthquaker Devices Dispatch Master. Delay/reverb. Very hifi, very clean.
DeepSeaDriver
TC Electronics Nova Delay is the cleanest I've used
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1