MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Diving into Buchla world!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Diving into Buchla world!
gummyboy
Hello Buchla World!!!

This might be real noob questions or was asked. If so, sorry…..there are too many threads…

I’ve been using euro modules only and I am about to dive into Buchla. Before purchasing anything I want expert’s opinions. What modules would you recommend for me to get unique Buchla’s touch or sound?

1. I don’t need midi related modules or tactile control surface.

2. Should I get just some sound generating moduels like VCOs with 201e-4 boat or at least 201e-12 cabinet to get real Buchla’s taste? I have some euro moduels for CV manipulation like Function generators, Noise generator, Envelopes like zadar, adsr-vc2, sapel, marbles, d-lfo, rg-6, maths. rene, z8000……..etc…

3. I make ambient, ambient techno, techno, some real experimentat stuffs….

4. Is there secret Buchla module shop? It’s hard to find. How do you buy Buchla modules?

5. How do you interface between Buchla and Euro world? Is there some adapters or interfaces?

6. I guess they all have same size for each modules, right?

7. What is your favorite order in which I should buy?

Big Big Thanks!!!!!
x2mirko
It's really not all that much of a secret: https://buchla.com/

I think the general advice is to buy a larger case, but if you know exactly what you want and need (it honestly doesn't sound like it) you may be fine with just getting a small boat.

For interfacing, the easiest option is probably the 202h. Note that Buchla uses a different standard for voltages that express musical pitch (1.2V/o instead of 1V/o) than Eurorack. The 202h takes care of that as well.

Many (most) modules have the same size, but there are outliers that are larger - but even those are sized in multiples of the standard module size, not with random hp sizes as is the case with Eurorack.
gummyboy
x2mirko wrote:
It's really not all that much of a secret: https://buchla.com/

I didn't know they sell modules.

x2mirko wrote:
I think the general advice is to buy a larger case, but if you know exactly what you want and need (it honestly doesn't sound like it) you may be fine with just getting a small boat.

I see...i ended up getting ADDAC Monster frames. very frustrating

x2mirko wrote:
Many (most) modules have the same size, but there are outliers that are larger - but even those are sized in multiples of the standard module size, not with random hp sizes as is the case with Eurorack.

How do you install 202h? It looks like half the height.

Thank you so much for your infos.
maciej83
Buchla don't sell modules directly anymore. You have to check the dealers section on their website.

The modules: many users on this forum advise to get the "core" setup first: 259e/261e, 281e, 292e, 266e. This is good starting point, but go with the bigger case for sure. If you can afford it add any module you like: second oscillator, a sequencer, filter, etc. Whatever you think would be fun for you.

There is also euro-buchla converter available built by Synovatron, but i don't know if it is still available. Maybe other converters exist?

Also try to review some old topics on this forum, it is very helpful and many topics have been already covered here. Good luck! SlayerBadger!
jimfowler
Synovatron converters work great! I diy’d an interface but I’d bet he’d build you whatever you needed.
mestlick
I started with an Easel, and then built up a larger system from there. The Easel plays nice with the other modules, it can be used as 1 complex or 2 simple voices when patched into a larger system.

The Easel has the sound, and is a good intro to many concepts.

The most interesting modules to me are the sequencers and touch plates. There really isn't anything equivalent in other formats. I have a 245r, 248r, and 216r. The 251e, 250e, and 223e are the closest equivalents in 200e.
Lewis#
The Easel is a compact „all in one“ starting system, but if you do not need the touch keyboard, I would rather start with the modules mentioned by maciej83.

Synovatron works well as adaptor. Since accurate tracking of the Buchla oscillators is often bad (if not played via internal Midi bus eg from the 225e), you can use an expert sleepers FH2 to correct for that if you want to play „normal melodies“.

Be careful with the h–modules since they cannot be directly connected to the normal power board connectors. They need some kind of adaptor as well which as far as I know can only be ordered directly from Buchla which can be very time consuming. Another reason to go for Synovatron.

Dealers: Apart from the notorious bad delivery mentality from Buchla in general, I have good experience with kmraudio and also heard very positive things about Noisebug.
gummyboy
maciej83 wrote:

The modules: many users on this forum advise to get the "core" setup first: 259e/261e, 281e, 292e, 266e. This is good starting point,

That's exactly I am thinking now.
What would you recommend bet. 259e and 262e? Many users prefer(?) 259e through my research on Muff
gummyboy
jimfowler wrote:
Synovatron converters work great! I diy’d an interface but I’d bet he’d build you whatever you needed.

Thank you.
That's what I am looking for!!!
gummyboy
Does anybody know what exactly I need to connect h-series? Or I should forget about th e h-series and go for e-series?

What would you go for, if you have only 4U?
1. 259e, 266e, 281e, 292e
or 2. 259e, 261e, 266e, 292e
With converter, I use various function or env. generators from euro world

I saw some 3rd party(?) cases. Buchla case is very expensive....
Are they good enough? I am thinking 4u x n case.

Big Thanks!!!!
maciej83
gummyboy wrote:
That's exactly I am thinking now.
What would you recommend bet. 259e and 262e? Many users prefer(?) 259e through my research on Muff

gummyboy wrote:
What would you go for, if you have only 4U?
With converter, I use various function or env. generators from euro world

I like both oscillators and there is also 258e built by 3rd party builder, former Buchla employee StudioH (you have to contact through e-mail on the website). But as you have euro I'd probably go with 259e, you can get something different.
Regarding the setup: I'd stick with full e system and option 1 with 281e. I know this module may seem "unattractive", but is quite essential in the ecosystem imo and is one of the cheapest in line, so I'd recommend to keep it.
Search "for sale" section here, search for the Buchla modules - they pop up here and there and you can easily connect them by yourself and save $.
Lewis#
Look also for third party suppliers of modulation modules, eg eardrill. Regarding used gear, sometimes I find something on reverb.com for a good price (just this week bought an 292e there).
jimfowler
www.samodular.com for cases, cables, etc.
bwhittington
maciej83 wrote:
I'd stick with full e system and option 1 with 281e. I know this module may seem "unattractive", but is quite essential in the ecosystem imo and is one of the cheapest in line, so I'd recommend to keep it.

I really agree with this. You could patch in other cv sources or whatever, but you can pull so much out of a banana-patched 281e. To me, it is the heart and soul of the Buchla system, even more so than the oscillators (which aren't really my favorite part of the system, to be honest). Maybe it's like a Buchla-specialized version of Maths in Euro. You could go a different way, but its components have a unique synergy that is important to a lot the classic patches you hear.

Quote:

EDIT: I misremembered the feature set of the 267e, so I deleted what was then misguided module selection advice for a small system. (I thought the bottom half contained two LPG's, not two bandpass filters.) oops
rkilman
The LEM4 Snoopy was made for your situation.
Orwell
To the op:

When I had the pleasure of playing on a huge Buchla I found the maths, rene and make noise stuff integrates really well, I think because they can output the Buchla voltage - someone let me know if I’m wrong here as it’s been a while since I’ve used them together.

Buchla is a tough one because its hard to demo the modules. Therefore I recommend trying out the reaktor Buchla clones and getting a feel for each module. See what you like.Cloudlab 200t is a fantastic clone.
The Buchla easel v is really great, top level.
Nsynth Buchla in vcv rack.
Softube modular Buchla osc.
Encoder audio max for live.

From there you could look at the muffs for sale section and start grabbing the essential modules like the 259r, which is an amazing vco. The lpgs and ads. Or try to contact a Buchla builder.
mutierend
You should get a LEM4, for sure. It's a four-space boat with the 261e, 267e, 281e, and 292e. You can do SO MUCH with those four modules. The 261e gives you more of the "classic" Buchla sound than the 259e.

Use that for a while, and if you decide Buchla is the thing for you, you'll have an idea of what kind of music you make and thus which modules you should get.

Definitely use the search function and read about things like "259e vs 261e", "266e vs 267e", and the like.
gummyboy
Orwell wrote:
When I had the pleasure of playing on a huge Buchla I found the maths, rene and make noise stuff integrates really well, I think because they can output the Buchla voltage - someone let me know if I’m wrong here as it’s been a while since I’ve used them together.

So do you use makenoise modules(I have rene, tempi, maths, contour) without conversion? If so, I have one more best reason to go for Buchla!!!!
gummyboy
What is the difference between getting (281e and 281h) or (292e and 292h) besides no of channels and installing difficulties? Any disadvantage?
Or any disadvantage getting 267e over 266e? I kinda don't like bpf though....

Now I am also thinking
259e, 281h, 292h, 257e/256e, 266e or
259e, 281h, 292h, 257e/256e, 267e in 4U rack.

I want to avoid LEM4 because I do not want to waste for midi which I don't use at all.
gummyboy
Lewis# wrote:
Look also for third party suppliers of modulation modules, eg eardrill. Regarding used gear, sometimes I find something on reverb.com for a good price (just this week bought an 292e there).

jimfowler wrote:
www.samodular.com for cases, cables, etc.

Great places. Thank you!!!!!
maciej83
I discourage you to go with the h series, you will miss these 2 additional channels shortly, especially if you plan to add 2nd oscillator in the future.
mutierend
259e/261e, 266e/267e, 281e, 292e is the way to go. I love the 256e but full-size 'e' versions of the 281e and 292e would be much better in the long run.

Choose the 259e if you want the "twisted" bits. Choose the 261e if you want a more classic Buchla sound.

Choose the 266e if you want/need the extra randomization. Choose the 267e if you want randomization and the flexibility of a filter.

If you interface with eurorack, make sure you don't send negative voltages to your Buchla. I'll let more knowledgable wigglers explain why. smile
gummyboy
OK.

OK. I will go for 259e, 281e,292e and for 266e/267e decision, I'll research a bit more.

mutierend wrote:
If you interface with eurorack, make sure you don't send negative voltages to your Buchla. I'll let more knowledgable wigglers explain why. smile

Can I use euro CV for buchla if I remove - voltage? Can I use something like this https://www.noisebug.net/products/599-octal-jack-interface?
I heard that I have to ground it. Is this ground thing is something I need to do for every signals(pitch, normal cv like LFO, audio..)
mutierend
gummyboy wrote:

Can I use euro CV for buchla if I remove - voltage? Can I use something like this https://www.noisebug.net/products/599-octal-jack-interface?
I heard that I have to ground it. Is this ground thing is something I need to do for every signals(pitch, normal cv like LFO, audio..)

Any external system you interface with your Buchla needs to be grounded if you are sending CV between them, afaik.

For eurorack integration, get one of these: https://www.noisebug.net/products/cvgt1 It includes a ground for connecting your Buchla, 1v/oct <-> 1.2v/oct scaling, and voltage offset.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1