MIDI out thru ES-3's outputs?

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, infradead, os

DJMaytag
Veteran Wiggler

MIDI out thru ES-3's outputs?

Post by DJMaytag » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:02 pm

Is it possible to send MIDI out (note data) and/or MIDI clock to the ES-3, assuming you don't have an ES-5? If you can send gates to a device capable of generating CV, but not the other way around, shouldn't it be possible to output MIDI data to an output of an ES-3.

I'm only seeing the ability to do so via the ES-4/5 Controllers, used as instruments in the case of MIDI note data.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:47 pm

Correct, the plug-ins only support sending MIDI out of the ES-4(0) or ES-5 or expanders.

DJMaytag
Veteran Wiggler

Post by DJMaytag » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:36 pm

I know I’ve asked for a few things in the past that indeed are more of an issue with the host, but would it be out of the question to want a plugin that could be routed to the outs of an ES-3 or ES-8 in a pinch, until one could procure an ES-5 (this could be a real problem, as it looks like your hardware is tough to find in US shops right now).

DJMaytag
Veteran Wiggler

Post by DJMaytag » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:20 am

The Expert Sleepers USAMO (Universal Sample-Accurate MIDI Output) generates a sample-accurate, jitter-free MIDI output from an audio input.
The audio signal is generated by the USAMO software, a plug-in which runs as a virtual instrument (AU/VST/AAX, Mac & Windows) in your DAW. The DAW sends MIDI to the plug-in; the plug-in translates that to audio and sends it to the USAMO hardware, via an output on your computer's audio interface. The USAMO then reconstructs the MIDI and outputs it on a standard 5 pin DIN MIDI socket
Wait, so what would prevent using the plugin that’s available for USAMO with the audio stream out to an ES-3/ES-8? Is that something we’d have to buy?

Return to “Expert Sleepers”